“Almost”
Review of Lovin' Oven

Lovin' Oven
Reserve with OpenTable
Lovin' Oven is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Frenchtown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 27 April 2018

I thought this place might be new, in which case I would have high hopes that they can go from very good to excellent. But in scrolling through the reviews, I see they are in their 8th year at least!

It started on a bad note. We stroll in on a Saturday afternoon around 3:30, having chosen the restaurant because it was one of few that serves all day.

The place was 20% full when we arrived. We asked to sit at the banquette. We were told "No, we have a party coming for dinner". Yes, and? So what. But we sat elsewhere, and noted that when we left it was nowhere near dinnertime and of course no one had come in to be seated at the banquette during our time there. Strike one.

Then, about serving through lunch and dinner? Well, not exactly. The menu at that time is very very small. Ok, I will have the soup of the day and salad.

Oops, they are all out of the soup. How can they be out of the soup at 3:30 when it is the highlight of their special, limited 3-5pm menu? And in a restaurant that is 20% full. Bad management.

The food we did have had its ups and downs. When it was good it was very very good and when it was bad it was pallid. Their bread and salads are delicious, and the dessert and baked goods to go are very good and buttery and fresh.

Our waitress was lovely and efficient; she is the only reason we were not 100% turned off.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Cute place! Good food, gets packed on Sundays so be prepared to wait. Came here twice, first time everything was perfect. My sausage came cold in the middle on my second visit. I sent them back, they were still undercooked, I just left it as is and didn’t eat it. Would still come back b/c everyone is so friendly, and I did enjoy the rest of the food ;)

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I discovered this quaint, hidden little restaurant last summer. We were pleasantly surprised by the kind, mostly attentive, service and the simple yet homey atmosphere. The true star here, though, is the food - it is absolutely delicious, with super fresh ingredients and creative menu options.

However, as we were finishing up our meal, the power went out, and we were stuck for some time, as we needed to use our credit card in order to pay. The staff did not seem to know what the problem was, or where it originated (it might have started outside of the restaurant); after some time, the power came back on, and we were able to pay and leave. Great food, tough ending to a nice lunch.

We came back for their Valentine’s Day dinner, which offered a fixed price menu (for a very high price). Once we were seated, it took quite a long time for the server to return to take our drinks and food choices. We soon realized, though, that there was something wrong again - this time, in the kitchen. Each course took an exorbitant amount of time to come out, and we were starving each time as we waited. The server came back to our table, apologizing again and again for the long wait; as we looked around the restaurant, it looked as if most of the patrons also were not receiving their food on time. It was a disaster, and, with our young daughter joining us for this special occasion, it was very hard to keep our patience throughout the meal.

On the side, because we were bringing our daughter to a fixed price menu, I had called AND emailed the restaurant to see if they could make accommodations for my daughter (choosing from the kids’ menu instead) - unfortunately, I did not hear back, and we were very disappointed to find out at the restaurant that they would not offer any of the meals from the kids’ menu.

As with our previous visit, the food, when it eventually came out, was very delicious; however, for the high price of the dinner, the portions were much too small, and we were constantly hungry throughout the meal. Eventually, with the meal taking much longer time than expected (it was bedtime for our daughter - that’s how long the dinner took), we could not stay the entire time, and had to pack up the last course and bring it home with us.

Despite the disappointing visit, the management offered to pay for our entire meal - I was very appreciative for that; despite the delicious food here, I am not sure if I will come back and/or recommend it to others, without noting that problems have arisen at this restaurant.

1  Thank rbrown1123
Reviewed 4 February 2018

We love to visit for brunch. Delicious menu. Too hard to choose only one thing. Entree's are made using local ingredients from neighboring farms. Great space in beautiful Frenchtown NJ! Well worth the drive!

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

We went to this restaurant based on all of the positive reviews from this website. The food was flavorless. I ordered a burger and there were only 3 old grapes as a garnish. I will never go back there again.

1  Thank Kristen W