“First impression”
Review of Franklinville Inn

Franklinville Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Franklinville Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$ 40 - US$ 60
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 538
Reviewed 20 January 2018

This was our first time dining here and it was amazing. The soup of the day was "cream chip beef soup our waiter said just try it you will see why" OMG so wonderful. Our waiter Michael was so much fun and we never felt rushed. He gave us every detail on what we wanted and answered all our questions. We drove an hour to get there and it was certainly worth the ride only complaint was waiting for our table the bar area is way to small so the people dining in area I felt bad for. Otherwise will go back over and over.

Reviewed 19 January 2018

It was our first time to this restaurant. We are not from the US and although we are used to the typical american restaurants, I have to recognize that this restaurant was a pleasant discovery. All dishes were well prepared and delicious, particularly the crab cakes, mushrooms with crab, filet mignon and the crab, scallops and shrimp dish. All flavors were well balanced. Jumbo shrimps had the right fresh texture. Lots of crab everywhere. Excellent salad a mashed potato side served on its own peel and very fresh salad with delicious dressing. Wine was also good. The service from Mariana was impeccable, just the proper timing, being around the time necessary to provide a polite and efficient service.
Only have to tell that this was one of the best restaurants we have visited in the US and not so expensive for the quality and type of food served. Highly recommended in you are around South Jersey. I worth a trip from Philly or North Jersey. Congratulations to the Chef.

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

The most extraordinary consistent quality of food and service ! It’s amazing how the quality is maintained over many years!

Reviewed 15 January 2018

In the late 1700s, the 85 mile trip from Philadelphia to Cape May was an arduous journey via stagecoach for the elite of Philadelphia, then our new nation’s capital. Folks like Benjamin Franklin found respite at this little inn situated on Reeds Branch near the Maurice River.

Today, despite modern updates, the original building and charm still exist, and more importantly, the food will satisfy and comfort you no matter how long or short the journey to get there is.

When entering The Franklinville Inn off of the creaky front porch, you will be greeted by a polite hostess, which sets the tone of the formal service and setting one imagined existed for the aristocratic travelers in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Working fireplaces and wood-beamed ceilings abound, as you find yourself looking forward to settling in to a warm little nook in which to enjoy a hearty meal exquisitely prepared by chef Tim Hogan.

Always offering impeccable service, it’s the food that really brings you back and The Franklinville Inn does not disappoint in either category. However, it should be noted that the service is very attentive. A fair warning: this is not a place for the vegetarian, vegan or cardiac restricted customer. This is a place for carnivores of the highest caliber.

For starters, the char tips and stuffed mushrooms are a must. The char tips are delicately cooked tender slices of filet mignon and the mushrooms are presented as the perfect vessel to carry a parcel of tender lump crabmeat.

The Franklinville Inn is known for its cuts of meats, specifically prime rib. If you are feeling truly gluttonous, you can order the king cut of prime rib (64 oz. $74.99), (which should be but is not served with a side of Lipitor and a standing appointment with a cardiologist.) For the more modest eater, the filet mignon is perfectly cooked and seasoned and is so tender it can almost be cut with a fork. The chef takes great pride in his hand cuts of beef, and the unspoken rule of “if you want it well done, order chicken,” is strongly implied.

Every entree comes with a salad and side dish. The salads are your standard garden variety, but what makes them special is that they are finely chopped and the dressings are all made in-house (I highly recommend the French Island). From a large selection of side dishes, you would be remiss if you didn’t choose the twice stuffed potato which is truly a heavenly pillow of mashed potatoes, expertly whipped into a creamy goodness and placed back into its original skin.

While you will think you are too stuffed to eat another bite, you will still want to order the creme brûlée and rice pudding, both homemade, just to finish what you will refer to as the perfect meal.

The extensive wine list is impressive and your knowledgeable and extremely attentive server is happy to help you make a selection. There are very talented and trendy bartenders who have created and crafted some very tasty cocktails such as the Purple Rain, that you might not expect to see at such a formal and conservative restaurant. No matter where you are - this restaurant is worth the trip.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank sharirobyn
Reviewed 11 January 2018

This was my first time to the Inn, even though I have been in the area for 30+ years. I had always heard good things about it, but in the past they did not accept reservations, and that was a detriment-they do accept reservations now, so off we went!

My companion and I had reservations for 6PM, made about a week previous to get the seating time we desired. We arrived and were seated immediately in a small room that held about 6 tables. They were all occupied, one with a party of 8-10, but the acoustics of the room were good so there was no noise issue to interfere with our conversation. Service from Jeffrey was impeccable, and paced just right-no rushing at all. I had read some previous reviews that described the servers as being "robotic"-that was not the case with Jeffrey-he was very conversant, polite, knowledgeable and efficient, while still maintaining the formality of the setting-not at all waht I would describe as "robotic", just extremely capable!

The wine list was limited, but adequate. There is a good selection of draft beers-not an overwhelming list, but good.

We each started with their famous crab bisque ($8.99); described by the server as a "cup", but it was a pretty darned generous cup! Thick and creamy, chocked full of real lumps of fresh crabmeat. Very filling! The rest of the appetizer menu was a little pricey, and from the descriptions of the appetizers I think they would probably be a meal in themselves. The warm bread was really good!

My friend ordered the Filet Tips Oscar ($32.99), a generous portion of thin sliced and perfectly cooked filet, with tender/crispy asparagus, lump crabmeat and hollandaise sauce. 5 stars from my companion! I had the Inn's Prime Rib (English cut, $35.99), one of their signature dishes. I was told that it was cooked "medium", which gave me pause as I am a rare meat person, but in fact it was medium-rare, tender, flavorful and succulent-it was 16 ounces of meat. Word of warning!! I initially ordered the Queen cut ($45.99) and was told by the server that it was 32 ounces of meat, and I said "Whoa!", and switched to the smaller cut-I don't think I could have handled the Queen cut and been able to walk! We each had the house salad-a very good melange of greens, tomatoes and mushrooms, plated on a cold dinner plate with generous dressing on the side. A very well presented salad. My friend had creamed spinach, a generous portion that was elegant in its simplicity-it was not distracted by excess garlic, truffle oil or any of those unnecessary additions that have become so commonplace. My stuffed potato was creamy, well seasoned and with just the right amount of cheese. The side dishes and salad were included in the price of the entree.

We were too blimped to enjoy any dessert-perhaps next time! And, next time we may sample the "Lounge Menu", which looks pretty good for a somewhat lighter and more informal meal.

Total check, including 2 drinks each, tax and 20% gratuity was $150, which we agree was a bargain.

1  Thank james f