“So close to 5 Stars”
Review of Marsilios Kitchen

Marsilios Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Marsilios Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 91 Restaurants in Ewing
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bear Tavern & Parkway Ave
Transit: Septa R3 Mercer County Airport NJTransit 608
Description: Landmark Italian restaurant established in 1951 offering traditional selections such as their famous chicken cacciatore and the best ever veal Parmesan dishes, along with steaks, chops, fresh seafood, and mouth watering pasta dishes, including house made gnocchi and Sunday Gravy. The ambiance transports diners to the rolling hills of the Tuscan countryside, and highlights a family style Farm Table for 14. The new full service bar offers specialty cocktails and a well designed wine list. A Private Dining Room for special celebrations and corporate functions has been newly renovated in 2016. Also offering Trays for home or office catering. Whether it's a first date or a casual dinner with the whole family, there is something for everyone!
Reviewed 18 June 2017

This was a dinner out with 5 adults and 2 children. The service was excellent. The food was excellent. So why didn't I give a max rating? All the adults thoroughly enjoyed their meals. They were delicious, nicely presented and served hot. Prices were $25-30 for the entrees which included a salad and a family plate of pasta. Here's the rub! One of the kids doesn't eat much of anything but PLAIN pasta. So while the family plate of pasta may have been sufficient, it came with sauce. So, a small bowl of completely plain pasta was asked for. It came as requested- about a cup of naked penne pasta. I didn't give it a thought until I looked at the bill. Ten dollars for that cup of plain pasta. Unacceptable! Very disappointed to see that billing from such a quality restaurant.

2  Thank Michael O
71WestUpperFerry, Owner at Marsilios Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Dear Michael and Ronni,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. While we are very pleased to hear that the food and service was excellent, and that you enjoyed your visit, please accept our sincerest apologies regarding the price of the pasta. We are glad that you noted that we provide an excellent value for our customers, as all of our (non -pasta) entrees do include a salad and side of pasta. As an explanation-- Our servers cannot go into the kitchen and verbally give an order for a table; they must use the computer to place an order. What most likely happened was that your server used the kid’s menu ($9.95) to place the order for the pasta. If we had known of your concern over the price at the time of your visit, we would have gladly adjusted it for you. On a return visit, it would be our pleasure to give you a credit towards your bill. I hope this helps, and lets you know that it is always our top priority to have our customers leave completely satisfied. Thank you again for offering your feedback, and most importantly, thank you for visiting Marsilio’s Kitchen! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

My sister was visiting me and because she had enjoyed their ravioli so much in the past, I thought she would enjoy another meal there for celebrate her birthday. Granted it was my mistake to not check the menu which they changed and removed the ravioli from it. But really a good Italian restaurant usually has ravioli on their menu. So my sister was disappointed with no ravioli. I then asked the server if they had specials and he flat out told me no. Okay, I can accept that. We ordered mussels marinara to share as an appetizer. We were asked if we wanted it spicy and said yes. Their idea of spicy was to add jalapeno peppers to the red sauce. I'm Italian and I have never had jalapeno peppers in my mussels’ marinara. Another disappointment. While the lasagna was a hearty serving the sauce was thin and tasted like tomato soup. We also had to keep asking to have our water glasses refilled. Then after we had ordered dessert, we overheard our server telling the table next to us the specials of the evening. When he came to deliver the dessert, he had obviously overheard me making a comment to my sister because he said when we had asked about the specials the chef had not told him what they were. Wouldn't a good server have said, I don't know, I'll check for you? This is not the Marsilio's Kitchen from its Chambersburg days. I will never go back there. I should have listened to two other friends who have been disappointed in the past but I guess I just had to find out for myself.

2  Thank angelamm1652

Dear Angela,
We thank you for your important feedback. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your experience did not meet your expectations. While we endeavor to consistently provide an excellent customer experience, we realize that we must continually strive to improve and make necessary adjustments, especially for human error. We are sorry that you will not return, but please know that our goal to make sure each and every customer leaves completely satisfied will always be our number one priority.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

My family came here for a graduation dinner last week. Although we had a reservation, we were seated almost 30 minutes later. The ladies in the front were great in allowing us to place our appetizer order in right away so it would be ready when we were seated. After all, we had relatives who came in from NYC and we didn't want them to be getting home after midnight. Enjoyed the fried calamari (very crispy and light) and the mussels but wasn't thrilled with the bruschetta. I was expecting a fresh tomato, basil bruschetta but this had white beans on top. Wasn't my favorite. Overall food was decent (the shrimp in my everything francese was way overcooked) but service was not as good as we would like. My mother-in-law asked for hot water but did not receive it. My husband asked for lemon in his water but did not receive that either. I do appreciate one of the servers wrapping our leftovers in plastic wrap to prevent spilling because when we got home, some of the sauce had indeed spilled and would've been a big mess if she didn't wrap it in saran wrap. The other nice thing was that there was an extensive gluten free menu. I don't know how good the food was but it certainly would be appealing for those who have Celiac's disease.

I like really good Italian food so this was ok for me. Nothing over the top and nothing I would say I must come back for.

1  Thank julianN6595IY

Dear Julia,
Thank you for your important feedback. Please accept our earnest apologies for not meeting your expectations on your recent visit. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the calamari and mussels, and very sorry to hear that you you didn't find the bruschetta enjoyable. Our menu does indicate that the brushcetta includes white beans (it is a Tuscan recipe). As far a the other concerns, we would love the opportunity to serve you again to insure an excellent all-around experience. If you wish, please email us at mail@marsilioskitchen.com so that we can make arrangements for your return visit!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

My hubby and I went here for my recent birthday celebration (just the two of us) and the entire experience was delightful. I am a foodie and very particular about going out to eat. Every bite I had of my dinner was just perfect! We started with fresh, warm bread with side dishes of olive oil, parmesan cheese and chili flakes. I had a starter of roasted beet salad with goat cheese and fresh mint! WOW! that was a great salad! I make roasted beet salad at home but the addition of fresh mint was the ticket from average to amazing! For my dinner I had a surf and turf (not on the menu but created because I could not make up mind between dry aged sea scallops and strip steak). So the waiter said no problem, he will make sure I have both! The wine, also recommended by our waiter, Ben, a 2012 cabernet that was not on the wine list but a personal favorite of his, was a perfect compliment to the meal! My hubby had the lasagna which I tasted and it was yummy! For dessert they made us a "small" sampler of various dessert treats. The "sampler" was rather large but again, every bite was delicious! I am so lucky that I live near this wonderful restaurant and will definitely be back again!

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Truly Marsillos Kitchen sets the standards that others only strive to achieve. Service, Dinner, and Settings brought me back to my Italian family dinner table as a youth. We'll Done Marsillos Kitchen. We'll Done!