“Super fresh sushi”

Akai Japanese Sushi Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Akai Japanese Sushi Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 97 Restaurants in Englewood
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 January 2018

Casual & cozy atmosphere, friendly & expedient service, and expansive menu of great food options. The bang bang shrimp are tasty firecrackers and the Chilean sea bass entree is absolutely delicious. Great for a date night or casual get together Nice lunch menu, too, including Bento box entrees. One of my favorite local restaurants.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Contrary to popular opinion, it's totally unnecessary to travel to Mid Town Manhattan to get an authentic and pleasurable Japanese dinner experience. While on a recent trip to NYC and staying in NJ, I got the hankering for some solid authentic Japanese food. Checking the online search resources I was pointed to Akai, after reviewing the site I decided I was all-in.

First of all, the service was spot on, and the sushi chefs behind the counter were
very communicative and well versed in what was fresh and delicious that evening.
I put them to the test, ordering a salmon skin hand roll with gobo (a good test for any restaurant) and once that arrived and was consumed I felt safe moving on to Chirashi (multiple slices of raw fish on one large piece of sushi rice in a bowl) and I was very impressed with the presentation and the freshness of the fish.

The entire Dean Street food scene is cool, relaxed and tremendously varied and quite blessed by a really stellar Japanese restaurant I'd like to call a home away from home, Akai Sushi.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

I am in Englewood on business about every quarter, and while I like the diner foods you can readily find here, there is only so much gravy a man can eat. So I checked google maps for some other options near where I stay and spotted Akai Lounge on the map. Checked the ratings, looked good, and reviews on Trip Adviser were most all positive so I gave it a shot. First thing you need to know about going to Akai, parking is a pain. You need to have a pocket of quarters if you park on the street. But now for a little inside baseball, there is a parking lot in the back with a machine that takes dollar bills and you only need to feed the machine if you are there BEFORE 6:00 PM. After six, free! So I get there for a happy hour sushi fix, only needed to pay for 30 minutes of parking and was free and clear from there. I sat at the bar (not the sushi bar) and ordered a salad (which was great, light and refreshing) then had the shrimp tempura (which was also great except for the tempura broccoli. I was not a fan of that at all). And then for the final course I has six pieces of salmon sashimi. Did I not want more, oh yes, I did. However, at almost $4 per piece it added up quick. Anyway, Akai is a little on the high side when it comes to food prices, but the service was good as was the food I got.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

Stopped here late after work with a group, worried they wouldn't want to serve a group that late, but they were gracious and didn't rush us. Had a great assortment of sushi, tuna guacamole appetizer and they didn't blink when we brought some Italian cookies from Bovella's across the street in for our dessert. Would definitely return if I'm in the area again. Cute little downtown area in Englewood has quite a few options and easy parking within a block or two.

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Great local place! Fresh sushi! Excellent service. Make sure to have a reservation on Saturday night. There was a line out the door.