All reviewsebbitt roomred cottagecontinental breakfastfront porchsilver traythe cottagescongress hallbreakfast deliveredno elevatormy husband and ithird floorcape resortsthe main hotelboutique hotelyogurtspa showercorner room
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

We ate at the ebbits room in the Virginia hotel the place is very pretty and had a nice bar but the food was so salty we couldn't eat it the fish dishes we had were amazing but the steaks were covered in salt and the roasted potatoes were too we ordered a side of greed that no one ate because they were so salty we told the waiter and all he did was take 5$ off for the greens cape may had so many great restaurants so I would not reccomend you go to this one it's far from cheap so go to tishas or black duck or peter shields I have always had amazing food there

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mimi719
JordanRowan, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Mimi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very sorry to hear that you had an underwhelming experience at our restaurant. Overly-salted food is not a complaint that we are accustomed to receiving, so I will be sure to share your comments with our Executive Chef and culinary team. It certainly sounds as though someone in the kitchen had a heavy-hand with the salt shaker on the night you dined with us, and I'm very sorry to hear that it had a negative impact on your experience. I can assure you that this is an anomaly, and I hope that this one visit will not prevent you from joining us again in the future. We will be sure to take your feedback to heart and work closely with our cooks to achieve the perfect level of seasoning on our dishes moving forward.

Thank you again for your comments.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I booked a three night stay using two nights on a groupon deal. The deal was for the choice of either a red or pink cottage with a queen or king size bed for 420.00 for two of the nights. (The last night I would pay full price) I purchased the groupon over 1 month ago, When I called the first time to confirm the reservation they asked me to call back at a later date to confirm. When I two weeks later, I got a woman by the name of Margie.
Margie was really really hurtful and disrespectful over the phone. She stated "I shouldn't have a say in the bed or cottage because I got a deal" which I found very rude. I asked to speak to the manager who was terry. Terry told me that I did not have a choice in the bed size even though it was stated in the fine print. I asked if I could send a screenshot or email with the exact groupon. She stated no. I asked for two other possible dates where a king size bed maybe accommodated and she stated no it could not be done.
After that conversation, she went on to say "we do not plan on doing business with groupon in the future" I found that to be extremely upsetting because she went out of her way to make me feel as though I was a total inconvenience to the hotel. The groupon deal was not cheap and I had nothing to do with the fact that they had a deal with this website. When I expressed this to her, she said there was nothing she could do for me.
In the end I had to cancel the hotel which was a surprise anniversary gift for my parents...I continued to research other hotels in the area for the last minute booking and was lucky enough to find The Hotel Alcott which has had WONDERFUL customer service. I totally recommend them and hope no one else will have to go through the same poor customer service I did

Room Tip: You do not have many choices and the staff makes the room decision
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Isabella L
CRGManagement, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Isabella L

Thank you for taking time to express your dissatisfaction relating to the redemption of Groupon offer. I’m very sorry to hear that members of our reservation team caused you any distress. We enjoy a long-standing and ongoing relationship with Groupon as our partner in attracting new guests to the Virginia Hotel, at discounted rates, when we have excess inventory to share. Many of our most loyal guests of the Virginia were initially introduced to us, via a Groupon offer.

My research in regard to your redemption request is that by the time you called to book a long weekend, we were close to being sold out and only had a queen-size bed to offer, while your preference was for 2-nights in a room with a king bed. Though we offered alternative dates in which we could have accommodated your request for 2-nights in a king bed, we were unable to confirm for you as your schedule did not permit flexibility of alternative dates. We’re very sorry that we were not able to work this out to your satisfaction as our very mission in hospitality is to provide welcome to new and returning guests, alike.

Please do not hesitate to reach me directly, should you wish to experience the Virginia and Ebbitt Room at a more convenient time for you. We welcome the opportunity to win you back and to provide a true, Virginia Hotel experience of excellence and hospitality.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Acting on a referral from a friend I booked my wife and myself in at the Virginia Hotel for an overnight stay. Being off season our queen room was an affordable $130, very cheap for Cape May. The hotel is a beautifully maintained Victorian lady within walking distance of everything. The beach is 200 yards away . Great shopping and restaurants within a block or 2. The hotel itself has a small bar and great restaurant on the 1st floor....We have not been to this fabulous town in 25 years, but we'll be back at The Virginia next year....

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob G
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary and everything was perfect. Very comfortable , clean room with crisp bed linens. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was so good. Loved the homemade granola.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skiforus
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We stayed in the Virginia Hotel and had a great time. It's a beautiful, historic building. The location cannot be better. You are in the middle of it all!! Half block from the beach. Walking distance to everything Cape May has to offer. Our room was really nice and pretty spacious (not a typical B&B). Breakfast menu was somewhat limited but it was fresh and tasty. The weather was great, so we ate on the porch. Free valet parking. You can use all amenities at the Congress Hall including free beach chairs and towel service. My only compaint is that they make you buy beach badges. They are not very expensive ($6 a day) but for the price you pay, they should really provide free badges. It's just a little annoying. Would def stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmom
JordanRowan, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

JMom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would return to stay with us again! Our central location--a half block from the ocean, the pedestrian walking mall, Congress Hall and loads of other attractions--is a huge draw for many of our guests. So glad that you had a chance to enjoy our porch as well--always a good spot for breakfast, an afternoon cocktail, or curling up with a book.

As a "local", I share your frustration regarding the beach tags (we have to pay for them too!). While we would love to offer tags to our hotel guests, the city unfortunately prohibits this practice, and our guests much purchase the entrance fee themselves. We try to make up for this inconvenience with the beach service you highlighted, offering complimentary towels, chairs and umbrellas to ease your load heading down to the beach. I hope you'll be back to sample it again soon--September sees some of the warmest water of the year!

Again, thank you for your comments, and we look forward to seeing you here at the Virginia Hotel again soon.

Best,