“Would definitely Not recommend this hotel, disrespectful staff and management”
Review of The Virginia Hotel

The Virginia Hotel
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I booked a three night stay using two nights on a groupon deal. The deal was for the choice of either a red or pink cottage with a queen or king size bed for 420.00 for two of the nights. (The last night I would pay full price) I purchased the groupon over 1 month ago, When I called the first time to confirm the reservation they asked me to call back at a later date to confirm. When I two weeks later, I got a woman by the name of Margie.
Margie was really really hurtful and disrespectful over the phone. She stated "I shouldn't have a say in the bed or cottage because I got a deal" which I found very rude. I asked to speak to the manager who was terry. Terry told me that I did not have a choice in the bed size even though it was stated in the fine print. I asked if I could send a screenshot or email with the exact groupon. She stated no. I asked for two other possible dates where a king size bed maybe accommodated and she stated no it could not be done.
After that conversation, she went on to say "we do not plan on doing business with groupon in the future" I found that to be extremely upsetting because she went out of her way to make me feel as though I was a total inconvenience to the hotel. The groupon deal was not cheap and I had nothing to do with the fact that they had a deal with this website. When I expressed this to her, she said there was nothing she could do for me.
In the end I had to cancel the hotel which was a surprise anniversary gift for my parents...I continued to research other hotels in the area for the last minute booking and was lucky enough to find The Hotel Alcott which has had WONDERFUL customer service. I totally recommend them and hope no one else will have to go through the same poor customer service I did

Room Tip: You do not have many choices and the staff makes the room decision
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Isabella L
CRGManagement, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Isabella L

Thank you for taking time to express your dissatisfaction relating to the redemption of Groupon offer. I’m very sorry to hear that members of our reservation team caused you any distress. We enjoy a long-standing and ongoing relationship with Groupon as our partner in attracting new guests to the Virginia Hotel, at discounted rates, when we have excess inventory to share. Many of our most loyal guests of the Virginia were initially introduced to us, via a Groupon offer.

My research in regard to your redemption request is that by the time you called to book a long weekend, we were close to being sold out and only had a queen-size bed to offer, while your preference was for 2-nights in a room with a king bed. Though we offered alternative dates in which we could have accommodated your request for 2-nights in a king bed, we were unable to confirm for you as your schedule did not permit flexibility of alternative dates. We’re very sorry that we were not able to work this out to your satisfaction as our very mission in hospitality is to provide welcome to new and returning guests, alike.

Please do not hesitate to reach me directly, should you wish to experience the Virginia and Ebbitt Room at a more convenient time for you. We welcome the opportunity to win you back and to provide a true, Virginia Hotel experience of excellence and hospitality.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Acting on a referral from a friend I booked my wife and myself in at the Virginia Hotel for an overnight stay. Being off season our queen room was an affordable $130, very cheap for Cape May. The hotel is a beautifully maintained Victorian lady within walking distance of everything. The beach is 200 yards away . Great shopping and restaurants within a block or 2. The hotel itself has a small bar and great restaurant on the 1st floor....We have not been to this fabulous town in 25 years, but we'll be back at The Virginia next year....

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob G
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary and everything was perfect. Very comfortable , clean room with crisp bed linens. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was so good. Loved the homemade granola.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skiforus
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We stayed in the Virginia Hotel and had a great time. It's a beautiful, historic building. The location cannot be better. You are in the middle of it all!! Half block from the beach. Walking distance to everything Cape May has to offer. Our room was really nice and pretty spacious (not a typical B&B). Breakfast menu was somewhat limited but it was fresh and tasty. The weather was great, so we ate on the porch. Free valet parking. You can use all amenities at the Congress Hall including free beach chairs and towel service. My only compaint is that they make you buy beach badges. They are not very expensive ($6 a day) but for the price you pay, they should really provide free badges. It's just a little annoying. Would def stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmom
JordanRowan, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

JMom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would return to stay with us again! Our central location--a half block from the ocean, the pedestrian walking mall, Congress Hall and loads of other attractions--is a huge draw for many of our guests. So glad that you had a chance to enjoy our porch as well--always a good spot for breakfast, an afternoon cocktail, or curling up with a book.

As a "local", I share your frustration regarding the beach tags (we have to pay for them too!). While we would love to offer tags to our hotel guests, the city unfortunately prohibits this practice, and our guests much purchase the entrance fee themselves. We try to make up for this inconvenience with the beach service you highlighted, offering complimentary towels, chairs and umbrellas to ease your load heading down to the beach. I hope you'll be back to sample it again soon--September sees some of the warmest water of the year!

Again, thank you for your comments, and we look forward to seeing you here at the Virginia Hotel again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 26 July 2017

The Virginia is everything a "boutique hotel" should be. Small enough to feel special. Sophisticated but not stuffy. Located in the heart of Cape May yet quiet and peaceful. Continental breakfast with choices served in your room or on the veranda. Newspapers every morning (important to us). We particularly appreciated the turn-down service that emptied trash and replaced towels for the second time daily. The staff was genuinely friendly and accommodating. We used the $25 daily "resort credit" for cocktails each evening. The bar is very popular, as is the Ebbitt Room restaurant (reservations suggested). It was lovely to stroll 2 blocks to the beach and have umbrellas, lounges and towels set up by staff there. Staying at the Virginia allows you to use the pool (as well as spa and fitness center) at its sister property, the Congress Hall. We opted for one of two lovely rooms that have private porches overlooking Jackson Street. We felt thoroughly pampered our entire 5-night stay.

Room Tip: Treat yourself with the Jackson Room or the Virginia Room.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle032
JordanRowan, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Michelle,

Thank you so much for this glowing review! I am so pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and got to take advantage of so many of the amenities that we believe separate us from "the pack". I will be sure to share your comments with our staff--they work hard to ensure our hotel is clean and our guests feel taken care of, and it is so rewarding for them to hear feedback like yours.

Thank you again for your kind words--we hope to see you here again soon.

Warm Regards,