All reviews ebbitt room red cottage continental breakfast silver tray front porch the cottages congress hall breakfast delivered no elevator my husband and i valet service third floor cape resorts the main hotel sister hotel yogurt boutique hotel
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

A lovely small Hotel in Cape May. Great staff, lovely room, beautifully appointed lobby area, bar area, and outdoor porch. Affiliated with Congress Hall. Close to everything that makes Cape May unique.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
JordanRowan, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Michael P,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience--we're delighted you enjoyed your stay! So glad to hear that the location was convenient and our affiliation with Congress Hall was noticed--we're fortunate enough to offer our guests the amenities of this sister property such pool access and their fitness room, and I'm glad to hear that these amenities did not go unnoticed.

Hope to host here at the Virginia Hotel again soon!

Best,

Jordan Rowan

Reviewed 18 July 2017

We have stayed at The Virginia for several years but I do not think we will be returning. We love the location and the fact that they have valet parking and that the Ebbitt Room is right at the hotel. However, their breakfast is average and has limited choices and they allow small children from other hotels to dine on the deck. One of the perks we like is that they only allow children 12 and over. One of the reasons why is that we could not even enjoy our breakfast with the two screaming kids on Sunday morning. Perhaps the 12 and over policy can also apply to breakfast, as this is not the first time we have had to sip our coffee listening to rowdy children.

The biggest disappointment was the room. We got the petite room for the second time. Last year, we enjoyed our room. We were on the 3rd floor. This year, we were in the petite room on the 2nd floor and were very disappointed. The bathroom door did not close and the bathroom did not have place to hang a hand towel, other than on the hook on the back of the door. There was absolutely no place to put your toiletries. We are not big people and could hardly move around in the bathroom. We got water in a carafe only one of the three nights we stayed, but my brother in law, in the next room, had fresh water each afternoon.

Finally, the tables on the deck could have used some Windex, as they were pretty dirty and there was a glass from the bar on the bottom of one of the little tables when we sat down for breakfast. I hate to sound nit-picky, but for the money we paid (over $425/night), I expect the best of everything and feel we did not get it this time. It's just not worth the money and there are other options available which we will explore next summer.

Room tip: If you get the petite room, get the one on the 3rd floor.
3  Thank LACIF73
JordanRowan, General Manager at The Virginia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Dear LACIF73,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am so sorry to hear that your experience was sub-par--please accept my apologies. While the Virginia Hotel itself is indeed a 12 and over resort, we have a number of cottages across the street that are part of our collection and are geared towards families and also have the ability to use our porch, lounge areas, etc.--I'm sorry to hear that these families disturbed what should have been a peaceful breakfast.

Furthermore, I'm very sorry to hear that your room was underwhelming. While the room you were in is our smallest room type, issues like a lack of towel bars or shelving are easily remedied, and I can assure that we have corrected these issues since your stay. Similarly, a lack of consistency with the turn-down service is again an easily remedied issue, and I'm very disappointed to hear that it affected your stay. I will be sure to follow up with our Director of Housekeeping on this issue.

With all of the issues you highlighted here, there is ample opportunity for us to address and make improvements. While negative feedback like this is never easy to hear, we are so grateful for it--we cannot possibly hope to improve our service and accommodations without it. I hope that despite your underwhelming experience with us, you will stay with us in the future and give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. We are eager to show you that the Virginia Hotel you remember is alive and well, and ready to regain your trust as the premier boutique hotel in Cape May.

Warm Regards,

Jordan Rowan

Reviewed 13 July 2017

This was our first time to Cape May and we felt at home at the Virginia Hotel. We enjoyed the intamacy of the property and the period elegance of the furnishings. Most of all, we were truly impressed with the employees with whom we interacted during our stay. They were warm, conversational and met the littlest of needs. We had a King Suite (#301) overlooking the ere truly impressed with the warmth of the townThere are many quaint historic inns in Cape May, The warm employees and service stood out

Room tip: Room 301 is corner King room with open feel.
2  Thank MDMensch
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in a King room at the Virginia for 2 nights before the 4th of July weekend. The property is very charming and nice. The room was average size and nicely decorated. It had a very comfortable bed and pillows with a smallish bathroom. Everything worked perfectly, AC, shower, fridge, safe, lights, etc. We were on the second floor and everything was very quiet for an older property. We did not hear our neighbors, above or adjacent.
The folks who worked there seemed very seasoned for a younger group and provided as much or as little service as desired in a friendly manner.
After using the valet, we did not need our car for the next 2 days. There are so many shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. The beach was a block away and the beach team provides chairs, towels, umbrellas and food service (although we did not use the food service). It was super windy when we were there so we didn't spend more than a few hours on the beach. There was plenty to do otherwise as there are many activities available at their sister property, Congress Hall, a block away, including live music in the evenings.
We had an excellent stay and will be back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chillmann
Reviewed 25 June 2017

Without any hesitation, this hotel is one of the finest establishments we ever stayed. Clean, spacious, attendant staff, evening turn down, included continental breakfast, and location. I am even reluctant to rate this hotel as it only has 24 rooms and I am afraid that it will be difficult booking in the future. It's not cheap, but it truly worth the price.

Room tip: Pay the difference and get a corner room.
Date of stay: June 2017