All reviews breakfast buffet across the street first floor ocean front off season rocking chairs convention hall heated pool living room great pool two blocks yogurt washington mall get away can't wait to go back the jersey shore balcony
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Positives: Across the street from the beach, good bar, good breakfast

Negatives: Room was a dump. Not clean, thin layer of sand over everything, old and pealing paint, aging smelly air conditioners, tv in bedroom didn't work, no window to open in bedroom, decor hideous, front porch was old and dirty. We called it the dungeon. Yuck.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aejacob
Reviewed 25 September 2017

We have stayed at this hotel several time int he past and it was fine although over priced and out dated we liked the location. This year are bath room was filled with flying bugs. when we complained we were told it was the season. We tried to kill the bugs and thought that was the end of it but each morning the bath room filled up again with small back flying bugs. I counted them one morning there was over 20. I had a hard time getting management to even respond to my complaint when I finally go Kathleen Gasper to respond she became angry that other customer over head us and screamed at us to get out of her hotel. We tried to go over her head but apparently this is a board owned hotel and you can't get anyone to respond to a complaint. They do not have to follow the rules of chain hotel and can treat there guest horriable wth no consequineces

Stayed: August 2017
6  Thank mrsanthony10704
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Of course, you can't beat this location but that's where it ends. The room was just ok. A bit closed in feeling with low ceilings and it was odd that the bedroom was when you first walked in and not near a window. There wasn't much room to store your clothes. The bathroom had no vanity so you couldn't keep your toiletries in there. But the kicker was at the end of our stay, once you check out you can't use their pool. The claim was for insurance purposes but that can't be. I've worked in insurance for 29 years and all that is is the blame game. I was so mad that I won't stay there again. Horrible treatment of guests!!! We have stayed at The Inn of Cape May and will be glad to go back as we were treated much better. Shame on you Marquis! This is not the way to treat your guests and lying about insurance is appalling. I would have more respect if you just said you changed your policy. I still wouldn't come back but I would not be angry. Remember that unsatisfied guests now take to social media and that doesn't look good for you.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We had hoped that they would clean up the place. It is not dirty, just old. Balcony facing the ocean and their best location has been the reason we always went there. But we have a car and there are a lot of other and hopefully better choices facing the ocean with balconies. If not, we will be back. We had a room that had an adjoining room door although that was not the case. But the people partied until 3 in the morning waking us up numerous times. Need better sound proofing. Rooms are adequate, but checked in and found hair on the back of the toilet that meant the cleaning person did not clean behind the seat and that I find disgusting. Great pool and a great free breakfast. Average for down there i guess, but for the price, i need to see if better alternatives are around.

Room Tip: New section and a room that does not have 00 or 01 in the number. Not ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mark p
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Vacation time. Cape May, NJ. A beautiful spot. The Marquis is a beautiful, quaint & older hotel found along Beach Avenue (the main road that goes by the beach-duh). It has antique furniture, excellent breckfast buffet, great pool & hot tub and beautiful rooms. We loved it. It is right across from the beach & in the vicinity of stores. They have a snack machine, drink machine and a bar by the pool where you can get appetizers etc. Now, I have read some of the other reviews. A lot of them complain about the hotel & that it needs to be updated. And yes, if you want to focus on that then I would suggest that this is not the hotel for you. If you want fancy & to be pampered, guess what? You need to go somewhere else, please! So I will begin with my review of our room. First the bedroom. The beds were wonderful, comfy & according to Hubby-he had a fantastic nights sleep. When I saw him in the early a.m. he was wrapped like a mummy in the sheet with just his face sticking out, pillows around his head, and blissfully making his sleeping sounds. We could not get the ceiling fan to work but according to one of our friends staying there you just needed to pull on the chain twice. Problem solved. Next was the small kitchenette with mini fridge, stove top, microwave etc. Our fridge was not working. So service brought us a new one. Worked wonderfully. Problem solved. Then came a small living room and a door & window to our balcony that looked out over the pool area & beach. Great! Fan in l.r.-worked & two tv's-smaller one in bedroom. Ok-now for bathroom. Yes the tub had a couple of little dings inside it. Yes, the ceiling panels were out of line & showed gaps & marks on them. And yes, the tiles on the floor were not perfect. But guess what? We didn't care. This was not important to us. I guess we are not one of the "now" generation-the pampered "we have to have it all or we throw a hissy fit and our panties are in a bunch". We just wanted to have a hot shower & thats what we got. They had lovely bath products for hair, skin etc. The staff was wonderful, very pleasant & helpful. If you like going on adventures & adapting to your environment and don't mind when everything is not perfect than this is the hotel for you. Hubby & I will definetly be back next year. What a wonderful hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms have balcony to beach & ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank therealff
Kelsey E, Guest Relations Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

We can't thank you enough for such a lovely review! We are glad the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel got to be a part of your wonderful vacation experience in Cape May. We can't wait to see you again next time around and make your time with us even more enjoyable at the Marquis!