2,262 results
All reviews wine cellar axe throwing movie theater front porch the barn tavern restaurant golf course white mountains movie room air hockey fine dining grand resort indoor pool ice skating dog sledding ping pong game rooms
Reviewed 27 February 2007

THE PERFECT GETAWAY!! My husband and I have had a rough past year (for several reasons) and upon walking into the MVG for the first time,it truely felt like we were an extended part of their family. It started with a friendly voice from the reservations people, as we had ALOT of questions. Smiles all around, eager to help in any way. There is so much to do we didn't know where to start. The spa, gym and pool area is HUGE! That is where i got my second wind from. My husbands favorit part was the awesome movie selection and private theater, THERE WERE OVER 600 MOVIES to choose from!! He couldn't believe it! I was also shocked to see how big our room was, huge for an old place. We will definitly go back. Thanks MVG. We nedded that.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 February 2007

I had a very romantic weekend planned for my wifes birthday and was very surprised at the lack of customer service I received from this hotel this past Saturday Feb 24. First off, the check in process was terrible. We waited over an hour and some for a room arriving well after check in time and due to the computers being down, we were told we would have to sit and wait after a long trip up from Boston. Next problem, the breakfast off the menu in the Tavern/lounge, the service took over an hour and the breakfast was burned. The server told us they werent prepared for this service in the lounge and they provided no other explanations. Why serve it at all. The couple behind us complained also. I have never been so embarrassed in my life of the lack of service I received. Your front desk service had no maps of the facility due to the copier being down or some other excuse. For a place so nice in appearance, I am shocked at how you treat your guests. I will pass this on to my friends and fellow travelers and will also post this on websites. It is horrible. The staff is a bunch of kids that have no courtesey and no knowledge of anything. It is a tragedy that a place this historic and so beautiful can let the service suffer like this. I filed a formal complaint with the hotel and with the better business bureau!! BEWARE!!!! STAY AWAY!! For the price you can do better!!

Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank lip89
Reviewed 22 February 2007

We have just returned from a two night stay on winter break, the hotel itself is beautiful. The grounds offer a small skating rink and onsite snow-tubing. They also have cross country skiing and snomobile trails available. We (my wife and three little girls) only took part in the skating and tubing. We also went to a ski mountain to do more tubing on a bigger hill. We ate twice at the tavern and both times we had great service and delicious meals. Some of the tavern staff seems to need more experience, but our waiter was awesome. The hotel does have an informational problem, they advertised the buffet for dinner one night but when we went there it wasn't open and on the morning we were leaving we were looking forward to eating at the buffet, but again it wasn't open all the while the buffets were listed on the activities sheet we were given at check in. At check in the bellhop came out to our car and carried our bags in and up to our room. The room was clean and big, a king with a pull out couch for the kids, a huge closet and clean bathroom. There were a lot of families there with it being winter break in Mass., so the game room and movie theater were busy most of the time. The kids loved the indoor pool and hot tub. We didn't take part in any of the spa services so I can't comment . Overall a nice hotel that needs a shot in the arm service wise. Eventhough we like to try different places we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank cassray88
Reviewed 20 February 2007

We found this hotel in a spa magazine and everything on the website seemed great. However, I would not designate this hotel as a spa destination. My treatment was fine but the workout area, pool and jacuzzi is on the complete other side of the hotel. There is no steam, sauna or real lounge area for relaxation before or after treatments. I would not revisit the hotel if I was looking for a "spa" weekend.

The on-site activities, rooms and hotel itself are great. I was impressed with the size and quality of the room and decor. Snow shoeing, cross country skiing, ice skating etc are all complimentary and right on the grounds-great for families.

The service at the Tavern was terrible. It didn't matter if you were seated for dinner or just ordering a drink-people flat out ignored you. There were some staff members you saw working long hours and at various jobs that did their best to do a good job and yet there seemed as if there were way too many untrained people who didn't know what to do. This is a real shame as I think bad service will negatively impact people's view of the hotel itself. However, I think it is a good value overall. Hopefully, the hotel can work on its service issues in the future.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NikShim
Reviewed 20 February 2007

Having stayed at the Chatham Bars Inn a prior landmark hotel for the current owners I would anticipated the same excellence from this facility. This hotel could be extraordinary, however it has settled for fair to good. Amenities abound at this resort, complementary sledding, ice rink, snow shoeing, cross country skiing a movie theater and more. We just returned from a 4 day stay at the hotel with our children, the resort is breathtaking in the recently fallen snow and captures the charm of the hotel perfectly. Once you get beyond the view the short comings come to light for a great hotel that is clearly suffering from mismanagement, front desk staff, dinning room staff, bar tenders, recreational facilities staff were all friendly put a best foot forward, however the lack of adequate staffing and skilled management to facilitate and provide adequate support was noted. A manager present site during our stay was basically walking around, without providing any direction to the staff or noticing the guests at the hotel with a smile or friendly gesture hospitality was not a directional focus. The short comings of the hotel were, the dinning quality is fair due to lack of adequate staffing, wait staff had to bus their own tables in all locations, the food was average, only one bellman was on site during a peak period holiday weekend and did not have the capacity to handle the intake, the pool area is beautiful but needs an attendant present, the lack of towels, pile up of dirty towels and cleaning the pool area rest rooms needs attention. Common areas of the hotel were not kept as clean as a guest of a hotel of this class would expect the common areas had drinks and other items left by guests go unattended. Recreational coordination would be of a great benefit, a person should be on site to “sell” , manage and direct guests to use the other great benefits of the facility such as the complementary cross country skiing and ice rink with complementary skates. When we booked we received a favorable rate for a room with a reduced view, which is acceptable, however we were not told the room was above the Tavern and the closing hour was as 12:00 midnight, the noise was a little much as the walls are paper, thin. If you do book do not stay on the first floor of the hotel. Would we re-book? Yes, we would try it one more time with the hope that current owner raises the standards of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family