2,262 results
All reviews wine cellar axe throwing movie theater front porch the barn tavern restaurant golf course white mountains movie room air hockey fine dining grand resort indoor pool ice skating dog sledding ping pong game rooms
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We stayed here for three nights and loved it! Would definitely come again. Nice time to spend with family. Farmer Diego was great and so was the activities director. Everyone was helpful and great, the grounds are amazing, cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2012
WorldwalkerCA, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Dear Konop,
Thank you for your review! Your kind remarks about the staff have been shared. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 21 August 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary here. WOW, it was great! Everyone was so nice!! I mean really, really nice. It was like stepping back in time. The place is so charming. Our room was very clean and even though the room was updated the original charm was kept intacted. The resort has been around for many years so there are low ceilings, slanting floors and an old elevator, so if you want a brand new cookie cutter resort this is not your place. But if you want to be treated better than royalty, breath taking views, feel like you don't have a care in the world, this is your place. We can not wait to return to this resort, but this time we have to bring our 5 kids. They will love all that there is for them to do.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 428Lovetotravel66

Dear 428Lovetotravel66,
Happy Belated Anniversary! Thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us at the Resort and for taking the time to review. We look forward to meeting the whole family in the future!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I recently spent four days at the Mountain View Grand (August 13th - 17th) that were amazing. There are plenty of things to do in and about the White Mountain area, however my wife and I chose to simply stay at the Grand and enjoy all that it had to offer.

Upon arrival at 3pm, check in was a breeze and everything was just as we had booked it via the Grand’s website. The room was spacious and clean. Within minutes we were sitting on the front porch with a drink in our hands enjoying the views. They had a waitress running drinks to the patrons on the porch in the afternoon through the early evening who was very sweet and spot and on with the drink delivery.. We had dinner in the Tavern a couple of hours later and it was enjoyable.. Our server, Jason gave excellent service. We ate lunch the next day at the restaurant in the golf pavilion. We sat out on the porch which had great mountain views. Service was good as well as the food. We continued this routine of eating lunch at the golf pavilion and dinner in the Tavern and were quite satisfied.

The next three days were spent more or less either at the indoor pool, outdoor pool, or on the front porch relaxing or playing checkers. In addition to this we enjoyed the following:

Axe Throwing - Every day at 10am on the volleyball court, they teach you how to throw a competition (blade on both sides) axe. The activities director, Ms Baker did an awesome job of instructing me as I had terrible form at first but caught on after a few throws. This was my favorite activity of the week and I can’t wait to come back next year to do it again.

Campfire - Each night at 7pm they have a campfire by the volleyball court with free Smore’s for all. They supply everything including the sticks. Ms Baker then leads everyone in campfire songs. Then, she organizes a game of MVG volleyball. It’s a version of volleyball she developed that’s easy for little kids. My kids are 7 and 8 and they both loved it as did I.

The Farm - At 8:30am every morning they have a tour of the farm which is down the hill behind the resort. This tour was led by Mrs Atwood and is quite enjoyable. We started with a tour of the chicken coop where the kids were allowed to collect eggs. We then moved onto the horse stable and finally the barn that held goats, sheep, and alpacas. They offered a five minute horse ride on a draft horse for $10 per kid (you’ve got to book this at the lobby desk I believe...) which the kids enjoyed. We were all allowed to go into the goat pen and pet the goats. We were there for at least an hour talking with Mrs Atwood who was extremely knowledgeable and answered all of our questions regarding the goats as we’re contemplating getting them.

Tower Spa - My wife and I spent 20 minutes in the infinity tub which is located in the tower above the main entrance to the Grand. The views were amazing and the 20 minutes felt like five. Keep in mind that the windows are not tinted. I was happy to do this just to see the views but probably wouldn’t do it again...

Game Room - They have a game room with pool, fooseball, air hockey, and table tennis. It’s all free and the games are of high quality. Nothing was tired or worn out. My son and I enjoyed the time we spent there.

Movie Theater - They have a small movie theater that is beautiful. It has leather recliners and a projection TV with a big screen and surround sound. You can reserve a movie for a specific time of day or just sit in on someone else. We sat in on The Sound of Music one night.

Lobby Piano - In the afternoon a guy played the piano for the guests in the lobby. Each day my kids requested Vince Guaraldi’s Peanut’s song and the pianist happily obliged. He played it well and the kids loved it as did I.

Bicycling - I was surprised to learn that they loan out bikes. I’m an avid mountain biker so I went up to the bike barn to grab a bike and take a ride. I took a quick ride down the path behind the horse barn and came out on Route 3. I then rode the bike back to the Grand. I would highly recommend that anyone who is interested in doing anything more than a leisurely ride to take their own. I certainly will next year.

A few tiny nit picks (well, except for the coffee):

The Beds - Were a tad hard for my taste.

The Coffee - Was not at all to my liking. I’m used to a local (Rhode Island) coffee shop that roasts their own beans and brews their coffee bold. The coffee at the Grand was moderately dark but the flavor I didn’t like. I drove to Dunkin in Whitefield each morning for one of their cappuccinos. It was the only time I left each day. I tried ordering cappuccino at the Grand but they said the machine was broken...

Wifi - The free wireless internet was spotty. It worked in the lobby and out on the porch (more or less). I typically tried to find a seat close to the reception desk as I’m guessing that’s where the router is. It did not work in my room.

The Highlights: The views. The people who work there. The laid back atmosphere.

Overall it was the most relaxing and enjoyable vacation of my adult life and I’m already thinking about when I can get up there again. I'm thinking in the Fall....!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Keith T

Dear Keith T,
At the Mountain View Grand we try to make certain there are activities for people of all ages and this certainly seemed like this was the case for you and your family. We are happy you were able to partake of so many of the activities the Resort has to offer. We appreciate your in-depth and generous review! Your kind remarks about Ms. Baker and all of our staff have been shared. We can’t wait to welcome you back in the Fall!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were looking to get away and finally relax. The Mountain View Grand Resort did not disappoint! The staff was friendly and professional,and the relaxed vibe (yet elegant atmosphere) were perfect for my casual family. We stayed 4 nights and experienced many of the activities and amenities of the resort. My favorite was the spa. My husband loved 'borrowing' a bike for a few hours and, of course, ax throwing. Both pools and the theater were favorites of the children. We all enjoyed meeting the farmer and learning about the animals. The kids collected eggs and even went for a pony ride. We also had a blast at the evening campfire and family volleyball where we enjoyed the company of the many guests with families who joined in. There was so much to do yet it all felt like downtime to us. Between activities, we enjoyed quiet time on the covered porch looking at the mountains and playing games with the kids in the study. The food was good-not great. We ate at both the tavern and the Golf Club where we very much enjoyed the outdoor mountain views and casual atmosphere. A few small complaints- coffee was not good, beds are extremely firm (at least in our room), and internet is only available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Most rooms- front and back- have great views of the mountains and surrounding hills. If you don't want to go up too many flights of stairs, stay on the first floor. I would not recommend rooms on the main floor. Also, ask for a room in the main part of the building. Rooms in the wings may be far from the main areas of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Kim T,
Thank you for reviewing and for your feedback! It sounds like the entire family enjoyed their time with us and was able to take advantage of many of the activities the resort has to offer. We hope to welcome you back to the Resort soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

A magnificent place with a courteous staff and breathtaking views of the mountain. I enjoyed it a lot and will definitely go back there. Food quality is very good and the wine cellar room is a must see. Would recommend it highly as there is something to do for everyone. A special attention has been given to families with children as there are lot of activities planned to keep children occupied.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Rekha B,
Your kind remarks about the staff and the Resort are appreciated! Thank you for your review and we hope to see you around the Resort in the future!