“Struggling a bit”

Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 28
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Full Service French Inspired Bistro. Serving Cuisine inspired by the season. Proudly sourcing local ingredients and minimally manipulating them to allow them to shine as they are.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Have gone there several times a year for 15 years, it's an institution and has always been the place to go in this area. But it now seems to be struggling a little.
Service was, as always, great. The place itself is unchanged. But the food?
Two of us recently had dinner there and the food was kind of at diner level. But it's too expensive for that, and this is a place where the food is normally top level, delicious, interesting and creative.
This time it just seemed odd and too sweet; plenty of sugar appeared in meals where we didn't expect or want it, like seafood. And there just seemed to be less care in the presentation and preparation than normal, particularly the cooked food.
Hopefully this is a blip and the chef is just on vacation. Meanwhile, we'll try elsewhere for a while.

3  Thank Tujlk

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Dining at Burdick's is a welcomed relief from all the pub food in the area. Our waitress Janet was a delight. Upon seating, she immediately provided us with ice water and the most delicious French bread. My husband opted for the Mussels and Truffle Parm Frites which were served with ketchup (no) and Garlic Aoli (YES!) I ordered the Steak Frites. The steak was tender and cooked to a moist medium rare. The frites were Belgian style, crispy, flavorful and plentiful. We chose a Sancerre from the varied wine list and followed our meal with a Hazelnut Cake and Blueberry Gelato. Perfection.
The restaurant is cozy, charming and well appointed.
We had a chance to chat with the chef and thanked him for his work. Burdick's is an hour drive from our residence but well worth the trip.
Before leaving, we stopped in the chocolate shop for a Lemon Macaron and picked up some chocolate mice and penguins for friends. Wonderful dining experience.

1  Thank MJ K
Reviewed 2 March 2018

Burdick’s is but a short drive from my home, and my spouse and I have enjoyed many fine meals there. The space is visually warm and inviting, with a very upscale bistro feel, but without pretention. Service is usually top notch. It has grown over the years. Yet as it has grown we have avoided it for two reasons: the oftentimes tight table spacing which others here have noted and which can make private conversation impossible, and shrinking portion size as prices spiraled upwards. So it was with some trepidation that we accepted a friend’s invitation to join her there for dinner.

It was a weekday evening, and there were few patrons, so conversation was easy to have. Our friend and my husband found their meals -- the braised lamb shank and the sole – to be excellent. I was pleased to see they still have calves liver on their menu, as I’ve enjoyed it there many times in the past. Sadly it was badly overdone, and was served completely drowned in a very sweet and thick (almost gelatinous) sherry gastrique. To my taste it was not a good pairing, the sweet cream sherry and brown sugar flavor completely overwhelming the (sadly overdone) liver. I suppose that for some the sauce makes the liver palatable, but for me it ruined the experience. Ah well, live and learn.

2  Thank Wombat27_11
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Luncheon - Party of three on a winter's Saturday afternoon for a late lunch. Reservations made ahead of time. When we arrived, had to wait a bit for our table, but only about 15-min. Not sure what the reservation got us. That said, everything else was spot on. Enjoyed our meals, and our desserts. Local meats, creatively served. Lingered and chatted, with our server attentively keeping our coffee cups filled. Of course, after lunch went to the chocolate shop for treats to go. Prices are above what you pay at a pub style restaurant but fair and commensurate with the quality of food, atmosphere and service.

1  Thank WboroMA
Reviewed 14 February 2018

I've had the quiche here three or four times and it it's never disappointed. It's my favorite quiche ever! Everything we've ever had was really delicious. Don't forget to save room for chocolates and pastries for dessert--either at the restaurant or at the chocolate shop next door!

1  Thank LaurenC1016