“Decent stay, no major complaints”

Residence Inn by Marriott Portsmouth
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Barre, Massachusetts
“Decent stay, no major complaints”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I just stayed there one night over the past weekend. Check-in was quick an easy. The woman at the front desk was extremely nice and friendly. The room was nice. Everything was clean and in working order. The fan in the bathroom was very loud, almost sounding like a helicopter hovering overhead. The tub/shower was a little old. But everything else was just fine.

I enjoyed breakfast in the morning. Eggs, sausage, hash browns... all were decent. My wife made a huge waffle that she enjoyed.

Location: we walked across 2 parking lots to Paddy's Restaurant and enjoy drinks and apps. It was a nice place, and great not to worry about driving after having a few cocktails. We also walked to the Red Hook Brewery, which was even closer than Paddy's. All the major shopping areas were only a 5 minutes drive away. Interestingly enough, it seems a lot of the reviews for this hotel are actually for the downtown Portsmouth location. In fact, the photo TripAdvisor shows isn't even of this hotel.

All in all, no complaints, and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ACandDC
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
NJ
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Repeat guest. This is a great location within walking distance to everything downtown. Staff is extremely courteous and helpful. Rooms are always very clean. Breakfast is free and very adequate. Nice experience for business travel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jkaram
Reviewed 17 January 2012

After finding our original hotel was under major renovation upon arrival Marriott booked us into the residence inn. The staff was courteous and helpful and the premises very clean. Our room was a clean very roomy suite with a kitchen and living area. The daily breakfast was very good and the hotel was located close to shopping, dining and only 5 or so minutes to the kittery outlets. If i had to say anything negative the indoor pool was a little colder than you might expect it to be but other than that no complaints. Would absolutly come back .

• Stayed January 2012
Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We rented a suite here last August. It was very obvious from the gouges on the furniture that either a cat or dog had also sayed in our lving room at some time. The elevator and hallways were dirty!! The breakfast room was the poorest I have seen at a Marriott Residence Inn.
I will say that the front desk staff was very pleasant.
I received a guest survery and returned it (President no less) and there was no responsse. I also contacted customer service and also received no response. I realise that this is a busy time of the year but there is no excuse for poor housekeeping and poor maintenance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
USA
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I have stayed here three times for a total length of around 120 nights over the past couple of years. The top feature of this hotel is the front desk staff who are very friendly and usually pretty helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable and there is adequate parking. The location is perfect for me - it is close to a mall and grocery stores, and only 10 minutes or so to downtown. The daily breakfast has a lot to choose from and is worth eating. The dinners 4 nights a week are sometimes edible.

As others have said the HVAC is a bit noisy, they allow animals which sometimes bark, and very occasionally the brewery next door has loud concerts that go on till around 11pm on a Friday or Saturday night. In spite of all that, it is still a reasonably quiet hotel and I have never been too bothered by noise.

The gym is pretty much useless. The two treadmills are old and in such poor condition that they are nearly unusable. There are no free weights and the weight machine thing is in nearly as bad of shape as the cardio equipment. On the plus side the streets around the hotel offer a pretty decent 2-4 mile loop for running when weather permits.

On my last stay I came back to the hotel from work around 6pm and found the door to my room propped open. There were no housekeepers or maintenance staff inside. Presumably they forgot to close the door when they left hours earlier. Being a long term guest I had a lot of my personal belongings there - two laptops, an iPod, expensive luggage, etc. I found it totally unacceptable that they would leave my room open to anyone who wanted to come in. I explained what happened and expressed my concern to two young men working the front desk, they acted shocked and apologized repeatedly. I said it's not you're fault, just make sure the housekeepers and maintenance staff are spoken to and trained to lock up when they're done. They said it would not happen again.

A few days later I found the door propped open again and reported the issue to the night shift front desk worker. I told her I would be checking out and not staying there in the future. She said she would pass my concerns on to management. When I checked out there was no mention of the security issue, no request for a second... or third chance.

Because of the security issue and management's lack of response to it I will be giving my business to the Holiday Inn, Portsmouth when I return for my next two month long visit in the spring.

Room Tip: Lock your valuables in your trunk, don't trust that anything locked in your room will be safe.