“One of the top 3 restaurants in Portsmouth”
Review of Ristorante Massimo

Ristorante Massimo
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Massimo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 207 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have been eating at Massimo’s for years. The consistency of the high level of service and quality food is remarkable. It starts with Massimo himself who personally greets and engages every diner and makes you feel at home. The menu regularly changes with the seasons and fresh ingredients and creativity are it’s hallmark. A wonderful dining atmosphere with an Old World feel downstairs and a more modern but classic look upstairs. This makes Massimo’s a wonderful spot for a special occasion or to grab a midweek meal. Excellent wine list. Try the carbonara, one of the best you will ever have. Great place for anyone who loves Italian food.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

My wife and I have had dinner at Massimo's at least 8 times over the last 10 years. Every visit to Portsmouth has to include dinner at Massimo's. We are making plans now for April!

The atmosphere is amazing. As a frequent traveler to Italy, walking into Massimo's gives me the feeling I'm right back in a local establishment situated in Venice, Florence or Rome! From the initial greeting from Massimo through the first to the last course of dinner....it is an amazing experience! Not a bad choice on the menu!

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

I had dined a number of times at Massimo’s while working in Portsmouth. I was always delighted by the dining experience. I wanted my husband to enjoy a special birthday dinner so I planned an overnight stay in Portsmouth.

From the moment we arrived, the experience was stellar. We we’re warmly greeted by everyone and they each went out of their way to wish my husband “happy birthday!” The service we received from Steve was exemplary and we were even visited by the owner.

The food was delectable, from the board of locally sourced cheeses to pair with our wine to the phenomenal entrees. My lamb shank Ossobuco was the most delicious I have ever had, not to be outdone by the veal chop my husband ordered.

They presented my husband with a complimentary box of delicious treats that included mini cannolis, cookies, sesame candy, nuts and candied orange rind, All delicious! It was a perfectly wonderful dining experience and birthday celebration. It exceeded all of my expectations. Looking forward to our next opportunity to dine at Ristorante Massimo’s!

Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

First time here and we loved it, the staff were friendly, warm and professional. The food was excellent, but the Char was a bit dry.

The small plates were very good and the Kobe meatballs were the best we have ever had.

The burrata was also very good and paired nicely with the persimmon.

For dessert, they went the extra mile and brought us an off the menu selection of cheeses which we thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks Cory.

We stopped by the bar for an after dinner drink and Seth was the ultimate professional.

We will be back!

1  Thank coastie55
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Portions were small and prices were fairly high for what was served. Steak was over cooked and dessert only showed up after 20 mins of waiting and then asking to cancel it. No offer to comp dessert or anything. Meals were good but most likely one and done here.

1  Thank Bowser_10