“80 Degree March Weekend Getaway”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Hartford, CT
“80 Degree March Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Planned ahead and booked a deal found on Travel Zoo for $89.00 a night on weekends until March 31. The weather was outstanding, setting a new high(80) temperature on St. Patrick's Day and allowing us to enjoy all the downtown activities Portsmouth has to offer. First, at check in, our reservation could not be located in the Hilton system due to technology issues. This meant a delay in getting our room. After some searching, I found my confirmation number at the same time the desk clerk found my reservation. She apologized for the delay and offered a free cocktail from the beverage center. The room itself was fine and very clean. Can't beat the all suite properties as they are complete with microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher and sink. Requested a high floor and it was granted without a problem. We enjoyed a nice quiet night's sleep and a free hot breakfast in the morning. We really liked the complimentary shuttle to downtown until 10:30 pm. Makes enjoying an extra beer at Portsmouth Brewing Co worry free without the concern about driving. Overall, the staff was friendly, the room clean and the location along with the price too good to pass up. Please offer this discounted rate again, it will bring us back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Bedford, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2012

After checking in, I had a few hours to kill, so I read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor for Homewood Suites in Portsmouth. I noticed several recurring themes over the past year's reviews, so I kept an eye out for them. Here's what I found:

1. Slow Internet Access: I hate slow internet access and was concerned to read that this was a problem here. So I fired up speedtest.net and took a measurement. 30 mbps. That's fast! That's better than I get on Fios at home. But maybe it was a fluke. So I tested compulsively the whole time we were there, at every hour of the day and night, in two different rooms, in the lobby and in the parking lot. There's no signal in the parking lot. But everywhere else I got 30 mbps consistently. The slowest I ever recorded was 28 mbps, but running the test a second time product 30 mbps on the nose. It seems that they have fixed this problem

2. Bad breakfast: Prior complaints focused on the eggs, the service, the long lines for the waffle maker and the lack of variety. Here's what I found

- Eggs were acceptable. Nothing exciting, but my wife and I both found them acceptable, if a little boring. Mind you, we were paying close attention because I planned to write a review.

- Service: The girl running breakfast on the first day was efficient and very polite. She was very courteous when navigating among the breakfast-goers, and responded to questions and requests promptly. On the second day, the guy running breakfast was struggling to keep up with the demand. He was moving in and out of the kitchen at a breakneck pace and didn't seem to be catching up. But to his credit, he didn't slow down, and although the supply of plates and food occasionally dwindled, nothing every quite ran out. He didn't slow down or drop the ball, so I'd say that they could use one more staffer on the breakfast buffet, to keep up with peak traffic.

- Waffle makers: The waffles are good, and it's no wonder there can be a line. They've added a second waffle maker, which kept the wait down to about 3-5 minutes during peak traffic. One more wouldn't hurt, but it's hardly a problem with 2.

- Variety: There were pastries, breakfast cereals, eggs, breakfast meats, some other egg dish, hash browns, fruit, waffles (with delicious toppings) and various drinks. I was fine with this. I wouldn't expect much more from a hotel breakfast that was included with the room.

3. Room quality: There were a few reviews complaining for room quality and cleanliness (one with mildew or something). We stayed in two rooms (first a studio, then a suite) and found both to be clean and well prepared. I was happy with both.

All things considered, I'd stay there again, and would be willing to recommend this place to a friend. It was a fun, relaxing stay, with good waffles and fast internet. What more can you really ask for?

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Scott L
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
First and foremost I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth! But more importantly, thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property!
Your review of our property, along with all of the reviews found on this site, are very important to our staff and our leadership team in ensuring that all of the areas that play a role in a guest's experience are comfortable and keep them coming back. After making some significant improvements throughout the numerous departments of our hotel, we are pleased to learn that we have successfully alleviated some of the key issues. That being said, your critique also pointed out some areas that need some additional attention, and I can assure we have already begun working to solve some of the specifics you mentioned. I want to thank you again for your review on our hotel and we all hope to see you and your family again here soon!

Chris Ritchie
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We have been coming to the Kittery - Portsmouth area for years. We finally decided to try the Homewood Suites by Hilton. It was wonderful. The room was very nice. Nice size kitchen, living room and bath bedroom. Rooms were clean and housekeeping, was wonderful. Thank you Amber. Staff was terrific. Sara was great. So friendly and accomodating. The hotel has a pool and is dog friendly. Breakfast was good. Lots of pastry, cereal, eggs and sides, yogurts, waffles and breads. My only complaint of the whole weekend was the fact that a hotel this size, only has 1 two slice toaster oven that didn't work. So many complaints on Saturday and Sunday, I felt sorry for the staff. Kerry Ann in the kitchen was wonderful. Very friendly and apologetic to all. She really tried to accomodate with what they had to make the guest feel better. We will stay here all the time now when we travel to this area which is every two months. Thanks again everyone at the Homewood Suites for a great weekend stay.

Room Tip: ask for what you want be it quiet, the location, etc.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth! But more importantly, thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property! It is always great to hear feedback like yours! Here at the Homewood, we take critiques and guest responses very seriously and share those details with our entire staff. By doing this we are not only able to find areas that need extra attention, like the toaster and breakfast experience, but we are also able recognize our team members that go above and beyond as you mentioned, like Amber, Keri Anne and Sarah. Thank you again for your response and we hope to see you again soon here at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth!

Chris Ritchie
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed there for an extended period. Check in was smooth and quick. It was for the most part clean except the fact that I found an earplug under the side of the bed that did not belong to us. There was also hair and dust behind the top of the bed. The room was a king suite with full kitchen with granite countertops and laminate flooring. The hotel was clean. I had issue with the use of the laundry being so expensive. Not all the machines were in working order and they were dirty. The staff was for the most part friendly, just not too personable. The kitchen staff didn't have much to say to anyone and it seems as if they watched everything that you put on your plate. Even though the food was free for Breakfast daily and for dinner reception Mon.-Thurs., the food left much to be desired. The food was tasteless and rubbery. It was obviously processed and most time overcooked. It also lacked variety. Having stayed at other Hilton properties with both food amenities, this came way under the bar of Hampton Inn. Much more thought could be taken into the menu and the cooking process. The business center was a nice amenity by should have had more than one computer. I had issue with the wireless internet in my room and had to use the ethernet. The shuttle was appreciated but it was in poor condition that was not available for the demand. Also they would drop you off and couldn't return to get you from down the street for a very long time. Check out was effortless.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent response about your stay here at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time and sharing the experience you had while staying with us. Our leadership team and staff pride ourselves on delivering an exceptional level of service and a comfortable experience for all of our guests; clearly with your stay we missed the mark. We have already begun looking into each of the specific areas that need more focus from our staff and are working to improve these areas for our future guests. I encourage you to come back to stay with us soon.Thank you again.

Chris Ritchie,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Customer Service is excellent, hotel is clean, well maintained. Breakfast is great - especially "do it yourself" waffles. Complementary shuttle to downtown is super convenient. Just overall a great experience!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple