1,410 results
All reviewsvalet parkinggreat locationfront deskwithin walking distancebreakfast buffethotel is centrally locatedrestaurants and shopsvalet servicestreet parkingcookiesper daypool and hot tubvery nice hotelgreat place to staywould definitely stay here againnew englandbed was very comfortable
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I would more than likely not return here, the only plus was it's location but there is a Residence Inn and Sheraton both basically next door, so I would choose those two options first. This is not a new hotel as everyone claims. It is in need of some new carpet (stains everywhere)..Some remodeling in bathrooms..mold and rust in lots of places..stains on ceilings. We has stains on a our chair in our room, it was white and disgusting. Our air was not cold at all. Refrigerator was not clean..there were several spots on the room to the door..I am not sure when they last time they have cleaned any of that is. Breakfast is NOT worth it! If you get a good rate then fine otherwise...yuck! Eggs are usually overcooked or grey one morning. Omelets the chefs made were horrible. Bacon is extremely greasy. I am a HH Gold (possibly Diamond by now) member and I would stay at a Hampton any day of the week over this place.This was my first experience at a Hilton Garden inn and I am thinking it may be my last.The price here is no where near worth it. The staff here are extremely cold except for the valet staff they were awesome and very personable. No one ever greeted us entering or exiting the hotel, they also only had one working elevator the week we were here and did not seem in any hurry to fix it. I wish they had the Hampton guarantee because I would ask for my several thousands back. I do not feel I got any value for my money. On the bright side loved Portsmouth..just a beautiful area and the people outside of the hotel were awesome! Will return but not to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank SmurfySmurfette
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

It is always disappointing to hear when someone has such a bad experience with us. Like all Hilton Garden Inns, this Portsmouth property strives for only the best in guest service and experience. I am so sorry you did not see or feel any of this. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak directly with you so we may further investigate the issues you experienced. Guest feedback is very important to us so we may continually strive to improve ourselves, if not for you, then our future guests.

Again, we apologize and hope you will make contact with us.

Ron Rockelein,

Reviewed 28 July 2011

The hotel is located in a great part of town and is close to everything. The $15 a night valet parking is a little steep in my opinion considering the price of the hotel stay in itself. We had a deluxe over-sized queen room that was great, the only issue is the AC, you can only lower to 65 which sounds good but it stays on for about 2 minutes then shuts off and on every 10 minutes to keep it this cool. We did not dine at the hotel at all, would highly suggest eating at the British Pub and Fat Bellies bar & Grill (Try the Hot Wings!) Housekeeping was ok apart from never refilling the toilet paper or replacing the drinking glasses, The other thing that seemed odd was the fact that we only had 1 glass in our room to start with even though the room was booked for 4 people. One elevator was broken for a day. Staff was good for the most part; I would say 75% were very nice with the other 25% being a little rude at times. The high speed (Yeah Right) internet was terrible, I had a connection speed between 5.5mbps - 24mbps which I can deal with, the fact that the internet stopped working constantly was a problem. The pool and hot tub were clean. There are no safes in the rooms; you can use a free safe box at the front desk.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Unionjack100

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate this type of feed back. We take our guest’s comments seriously and will put more focus on the areas you describe above. We apologize that you experienced anything less then a great stay and will work to ensure your next visit is much better!

Ron Rockelein,

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We spent one night here. The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance of the shops and restaurants. The room was nice, but the bed was not very comfortable - totally unexpected for me since I am a Diamond HHonors and usually find the beds very comfortable --- for some reason not the case here. The front desk staff was average, not that friendly.
Good - great location, good breakfast, nice room, new hotel
Bad - bed not comfy, front desk could be better, $15 parking

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2011

The Good
-Awesome location
-Big rooms
-Clean and comfortable

The Bad
-Expensive for a Hilton Garden Inn, though I have stayed at the Sheraton in Portsmouth before, and it was more costly, and not as nice
-No free parking, no free breakfast

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MaritimeExplorers
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We are a family of 4 that stayed here one night. Normally we would have stayed at the Sheraton next door, but we knew this had just been built and would be cleaner and more updated than the Sheraton (still a fine place). The pool was smallish(not for laps), but not many people there and the kids really don't need a big pool. Rooms were definitely newer/cleaner than many other older hotels, so it was comfortable to sleep/shower/etc... The brunch the next days was better than average. The best part was the location, really! If you can find a cheaper parking spot (we found one and it was a holiday after 7pm that day and was free), you can walk everywhere. We walked to town for dinner at the docks and the following day we took a great cruise with Portsmouth Harbor Cruises, which was excellent. Overall a very nice hotel that I would stay at again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family