“Very good, but not great”
Review of Vida Cantina

Vida Cantina
Ranked #56 of 219 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Vida Cantina is a modern Mexican restaurant using the best local, seasonal and organic ingredients. Vida is a vibrant gathering place where everyone can enjoy life with soulful food and imaginative cocktails in an unpretentious and relaxed environment. We are a fresh take on made to order Mexican inspired cuisine.
Reviewed 8 April 2017

My wife and I stopped by Vida Cantina today, and nice quality food and drink, but not overwhelming. Started with the guacamole and salsa with chips, and to be honest, the salsa was fresh but very bland...little flavor or spice to it. Guacamole was very good. When then sampled a variety of four tacos -two were average, one was good, and the other was excellent. The average ones were the fish and shrimp tacos...again, quite bland and lacking depth of flavor. The fried avocado was very good, as was the grilled chicken....finally both had some taste and flavor. We did like the black beans and Mexican rice, as both were very fresh. Drank two of their recommended margaritas....one with the infused peppers and cilantro, and the other a more house type...both were solid but again nothing special. We'll give it another try later this year, but was a bit disappointed. If you like depth of flavor and really good infused margaritas, highly recommend Taco Escobarr in Portland, ME.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank CarlGagnon

Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

The atmosphere is warm and friendly. The decour bright, Modern Mexican, clean. I am here with my husband, daughter, and her fiance. We love the fresh chips and pico. The limeaid is full of lime, fresh and bubbly. Lots of patrons, very popular place. Locals seem to love the place. They feature farm fresh local ingredients.

We had the Cubano sandwich, Menudo, chips n salsa( 2 orders), fish tacos, carnitas tacos, and barbacoa tacis.... Oh, so good! Fresh house Margaritas were delicious! Lime juice, not sour mix outs used.

Try this place. Prices are reasonable. You won't regret it.

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank P9259SDjulieg
Reviewed 13 March 2017

Finally got to Vida Cantina, and glad we did. I didn't expect much from the outside but was pleasantly surprised at the atmosphere once we were in and seated. Super friendly hostess and staff, and it appeared that there were many regulars enjoying their lunch. While the menu might not have all of the standard tex mex fare, it does offer some very creative and interesting options. We tried 4 different tacos, which were all delicious, including the freshly made corn tortillas. The goat cheese dip was a nice start, and the chips with fresh salsa were also very good. We will definitely return to get deeper into the menu and sample some cocktails as well

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank surfun
Reviewed 28 February 2017

We've eaten here twice, and have enjoyed it both times. Really good tacos, plus great Mexican beverages like Horchata, Jamaica, lemonade and so forth. Service is good, too.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank MangiaMuse
Reviewed 14 January 2017

I love the food at Vida, it is consistently excellent. However, I've tried using their online ordering app several times and the results are poor. My latest request was for no beans. I pick up my order and get back to the office to find tons of beans!!! To top it off all the crema, rice, and cheese are on top of the beans! Great. No rice, no crema, no cheese for me. Good thing the enchiladas are more than enough food for lunch. Last time it was no cheese for my daughter. I bet you can guess....so much cheese! Get with program Vida, either read the special requests or take it off the online app.

Date of visit: January 2017