“My First Impression is a great one.”

Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Rochester, NY
“My First Impression is a great one.”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Our stay at this Hampton Inn was my first experience with the Hampton hotel chain and it will not be my last. I was genuinely impressed with everything.

The moment we arrived we were greeted for the Manager Reception was totally surprised me. I had never experienced such a thing. Locally brewed beers and wines. Snack foods, what a delight. I had previously read on Tripadvisor that the lobby to this Inn was small and overcrowded. We did not find this to be so. In fact it was warm and inviting.

Our room was on the 4th floor and the room was clean and well laid out. As we were unpacking we could hear that a small dog was in the room next to ours and was barking frantically. We figured that the dog had been left unattended and was excited to hear us in the room next door. We did not know dogs were permitted in this hotel and later learned that many dogs were in fact in this hotel.

A quick call to the front desk to complain and we were assigned to a different room on the fifth floor which we were told had no dogs on it. This was our only "surprise" but was remedied by the front desk to our satisfaction.

Each morning we ate breakfast in the lobby and I was very pleased with all that was available. The food was good and plentiful and there was something for everyone. You could see that the breakfast staff was working their tails off to accommodate everyone and I expressed my appreciation to the "lady" who was working so hard.

One word of particular comment. I found the coffee served at breakfast to be perhaps one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had.

All in all a great experience with the Hampton and I look forward to the Hampton Inn being my hotel of choice on our next trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
A J L,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel and for recommending us. I will pass along all of your comments to our team during our next weekly meeting. We look forward to seeing you again!
Cathi Tingley, General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Red Hook, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is our 3rd stay at a Hampton Inn and this one continues to please. Excellent clean rooms with quality bedding. Top notch breakfast. We requested a first floor room and were a bit concerned that it might be too close to the lobby area, but we had no noise problems whatsoever. Lobby staff was friendly and professional. We requested 2 extra bath towels and they were delivered to our room in less than 5 minutes....even with a full house!. Way to go Hampton folks. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
brianfallis,
Thank you for your review and recommendation!  We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.

Yours truly,
Ringgold, Georgia
Reviewed 14 June 2012 via mobile

Very clean, helpful staff. Mangers reception was very good. They have a shuttle bus that will take you anywhere within 5 miles.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank flyby6563
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for your review flyby6563, we’re glad you enjoyed our Manager’s Reception. Hope you had a chance to explore the seacoast area while you were here!

Best regards,

Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We planned a last minute shopping trip to kittery. (My sister and I and 2 kids). This was about 5 minutes from the outlets. When we arrived I was suprised how nice the lobby was, it appeared brand new. Check in was super-easy. They informed us that they would be having a managers reception at 4pm. This was a surprise and such a bonus. They had free beer and wine, nachos and cookies. Our room was an average hotel room. The bathroom was larger/nicer than average. Everything appeared brand new. i love how they have the policy that they wash all duvet covers between guests. Its grosses me out when hotels don't do that! The room was very clean. We had a refridgerator also. The kids wanted to swim so we spent a fair amount of time in the pool area. This was showing a bit of age though. It wasn't run down or dirty...it just didn't look as nice/new as the rest of the place. They have pool towels on a shelf for you to take...problem was they were constantly running out and the pool wasn't even that busy. they only put out 3 or 4 at a time. When we went to the front desk to ask for one they said they were in teh dryer and would be right out. Well, 45 minutes later still no towels...so we walked through their halls and into the elevator dripping. At 4:30 PM I called down and requested a cot be sent up. They said that they needed to wait for the shuttle driver to return and then she would bring it up. At 8:30pm I called again and was basically told the same thing, along with an apology. at 10:00 I sent my son down to the desk to ask again. It was delivered by a very apologetic shuttle driver at almost 11pm. I was a bit miffed by that situation but other than that we liked our stay. The next morning they had breakfast for free. They had pastries, fruit, cereal, and I think make your own waffles. The small lobby was so crowded. The kids were in their bathing suits and barefoot and the staff told me they couldn't be here without shoes. He was frantic! So I sent the kids back to the hallway and I hand-delivered them plates of food. Since there were no seats left we smuggled our breakfast into the pool area and sat at a table in there.

Overall this was a good value. i think they need to pay a bit more attention to customer service though. The towel situation was just dumb.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sazzifrazz
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear sazzifrazz,

Thank you for your review, we hope everyone had a great time shopping in Kittery! I appreciate your compliments and want you to know I regret the difficulty you had with the pool towels and cot, please accept my apologies. Thank you for understanding that we don’t permit bare feet in the lobby in order to prevent slips and falls, it would have been terrible had one of your children gotten hurt. We hope to see you again on your next shopping spree.

Take care,

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2012

A friend and I stayed here on June 1, 2012. We didn't have a reservation but were welcomed cheerfully on arrival and were able to get a room for the night. The rooms were lovely, nicely decorated and had a flatscreen TV and mini-fridge. The bathroom was large with lots of towels.
We found the staff very friendly and accomodating. There was even a Happy Hour at 5 pm with wine or beer and cheese & crackers. We were not expecting that. Not only that but they have a free shuttle which will take you downtown, to restaurants or even shopping. You can't beat that for customer service! I was delighted that the hotel was located next to the Christmas Tree Shoppe & Bed, Bath & Beyond. Breakfast was included and included many items including omellets. I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Many thanks from all of us for the five star review Linda154958! It’s great you were able to experience so many of our amenities and some of the area while you were in town, we do hope to see you again.

Take care,