“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Massachusetts
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We planned a last minute shopping trip to kittery. (My sister and I and 2 kids). This was about 5 minutes from the outlets. When we arrived I was suprised how nice the lobby was, it appeared brand new. Check in was super-easy. They informed us that they would be having a managers reception at 4pm. This was a surprise and such a bonus. They had free beer and wine, nachos and cookies. Our room was an average hotel room. The bathroom was larger/nicer than average. Everything appeared brand new. i love how they have the policy that they wash all duvet covers between guests. Its grosses me out when hotels don't do that! The room was very clean. We had a refridgerator also. The kids wanted to swim so we spent a fair amount of time in the pool area. This was showing a bit of age though. It wasn't run down or dirty...it just didn't look as nice/new as the rest of the place. They have pool towels on a shelf for you to take...problem was they were constantly running out and the pool wasn't even that busy. they only put out 3 or 4 at a time. When we went to the front desk to ask for one they said they were in teh dryer and would be right out. Well, 45 minutes later still no towels...so we walked through their halls and into the elevator dripping. At 4:30 PM I called down and requested a cot be sent up. They said that they needed to wait for the shuttle driver to return and then she would bring it up. At 8:30pm I called again and was basically told the same thing, along with an apology. at 10:00 I sent my son down to the desk to ask again. It was delivered by a very apologetic shuttle driver at almost 11pm. I was a bit miffed by that situation but other than that we liked our stay. The next morning they had breakfast for free. They had pastries, fruit, cereal, and I think make your own waffles. The small lobby was so crowded. The kids were in their bathing suits and barefoot and the staff told me they couldn't be here without shoes. He was frantic! So I sent the kids back to the hallway and I hand-delivered them plates of food. Since there were no seats left we smuggled our breakfast into the pool area and sat at a table in there.

Overall this was a good value. i think they need to pay a bit more attention to customer service though. The towel situation was just dumb.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sazzifrazz
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear sazzifrazz,

Thank you for your review, we hope everyone had a great time shopping in Kittery! I appreciate your compliments and want you to know I regret the difficulty you had with the pool towels and cot, please accept my apologies. Thank you for understanding that we don’t permit bare feet in the lobby in order to prevent slips and falls, it would have been terrible had one of your children gotten hurt. We hope to see you again on your next shopping spree.

Take care,

Cathi Tingley, General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2012

A friend and I stayed here on June 1, 2012. We didn't have a reservation but were welcomed cheerfully on arrival and were able to get a room for the night. The rooms were lovely, nicely decorated and had a flatscreen TV and mini-fridge. The bathroom was large with lots of towels.
We found the staff very friendly and accomodating. There was even a Happy Hour at 5 pm with wine or beer and cheese & crackers. We were not expecting that. Not only that but they have a free shuttle which will take you downtown, to restaurants or even shopping. You can't beat that for customer service! I was delighted that the hotel was located next to the Christmas Tree Shoppe & Bed, Bath & Beyond. Breakfast was included and included many items including omellets. I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Many thanks from all of us for the five star review Linda154958! It’s great you were able to experience so many of our amenities and some of the area while you were in town, we do hope to see you again.

Take care,

Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is my third or fourth time visiting the Hampton Portsmouth NH - and I am compelled to commend their staff. From the moment of check-in, this hotel has provided great service.

My trip is one day of business, but I brought the family along to make a long weekend of it.

Price - Excellent, about $100 a night - 2 queens.

Room - Roomy standard Hampton Inn room, usual comforts. I like the clean duvet covers between guests. Fridge and microwave in room!!

Pool - Big enough, kids love it.

Coffee - Hampton, please, please get better coffee. Thank goodness there is a Starbucks across the street.

Breakfast - 100% standard issue Hampton Inn hot food. Microwave or oven cooked scrambled eggs, a sausage type item, make your own waffles, fruit, cereal, baked goods. All fine for the kids.

Here are two places that this hotel shines:

1 - The nightly manager's reception - yes, free BEER, WINE and snack food each evening. I think at 4:30 or 5 PM. Local beer - Red Hook (the brewery is across the street) two brews on tap, and a couple of wine selections and popcorn, cheese or a simple hot dish (pasta, etc). They ask for a 2-drink max - leave a tip please!

2 - Shuttle - I have never used it, but they have a shuttle van than runs all around the area. BONUS. This area has great shopping and other activities.

Stay here. Its all good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
We can’t thank you enough for your review WQF238! We love our guests and are so glad you make us your hotel of choice when staying in Portsmouth. I’m sure it was a nice change to bring the family along on this trip, we hope you all had a great time exploring the area. Our entire team was thrilled when I shared your compliments and looks forward to your next visit!

Best,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We were thrilled to arrive at the Hampton Inn after a "hotel from hell" experience the previous night in Portland, Maine. What a contrast! The Hampton Inn was clean and appealing, the staff was well-groomed, professional and very friendly. Normally I wouldn't go out for hanging around the hotel lobby, but when we saw that they had a beautiful little lounge area with free wine or beer, pink lemonade, coffee and teas, popcorn and a cheese and cracker plate we decided to plunk ourselves down and relax. We were shocked at the room – so nice! This was my first experience with Hampton Inn; we'll definitely seek them out in the future. So many nice little touches, like a very nicely appointed bathroom with a very homey looking towel rack and a two person whirpool bath, lap desk for the bed, and a sofa. The pool was really nice as well. Really really impressed, and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sir-hilary
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
We’re so glad you and your family enjoyed our hotel sir-hilary! Thank you for joining us for our Manager’s Reception in the lobby, we love the chance to go the “extra mile” along with having an opportunity to get to know our guests a bit. It’s great to know we’ve made you a fan of Hampton Inn – be sure to sign up for Hilton Honors to earn extra perks for future stays!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a little pricey but worth it. The rooms were beautiful bathrooms spacious. The hot breakfast was tasty and the workout room was nice although it only had 3 machines. Would definitely stay there again! Very clean as well.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank roadtripjll
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thanks for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your comments roadtripjll! We’re glad to know you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your compliments. Hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes,