Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed here for my high school reunion and it was great. Big rooms with great views of Portsmouth, one of my favorite towns in New England! Highly recommend this place. Also very central location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank angelambudd

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed here March 8, 9, 2012 . & June 2011 .I'm from NH but moved away after highschool & come back generally twice a year. In june 3 of us stayed in the Corner suite , Very beautiful decorated but the bed was awful , very very Hard , as well as sofa bed but sofa beds I can understand not being top notch but Marriott beds are known for the 5 star quality beds . We complained to the management & they did accomadate & bought matress Pads & foam pillows as the pillows were horrible& took 50- off the bill, so we were satisfied but we still didnt get a desent night sleep.. As for this March 2012 visit , I came alone , I immeditley checked the bed & was sadly dissapointed & contact fron desk as they remember me from june's visit , they apologized to me but said unfortunley the matress pads that they have are all being used. I was upset as I wanted to stay so I could get my marriott reward points. The front desk stated to me that this particular Marriott is ran by a managment firm & that 60% of people do complain about these beds & nothing has been done & she was soo very sorry. The first night I only slept a few hours & was up like 5am , Next night a tad better , I wouldnt recommened this hotel if you are particular about a bed , Also Noisy but nothing I couldnt handle ..

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Michelle L
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Thank you for returning to the Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown this March after your satisfactory experience in June of 2011. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experience with regards to the bed. We did take 15% off both of your nights in an effort to compensate your for the trouble. I hope you understand the firmness or softness of a bed is very much an individual preference and the vast majority of our guest very much enjoy our beds and find them quite comfortable. I am not sure where you heard that 60% of our guests complain about them as nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, we very rarely have guest complaints about the beds and many guests inquire what kind of beds they are because they want to look in to getting one for their homes. I wish that you had put a request on your reservation or notified us you were coming to stay with us again and we would have definitely taken care of it for you knowing that the beds did not match your preference the last time you were here in June. If you are ever returning to the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I will arrange everything personally and ensure that we have a mattress topper put in your room prior to arrival. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve guest experience. We will be looking in to getting a few more mattress pads or feather beds to ensure we can match everyone’s preferences. Thanks again for staying.

Best Regards,

Jay Finney

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great location, comfortable rooms, clean hotel, and possibly the best customer service I have ever encountered. Every employee, from the assistant manager to the housekeeper, was welcoming and more importantly, empowered to make my/ our stay better.

The complimentary breakfast is better than most. The complimentary snacks/meal in the evening, Monday - Thursday, can assist those on a budget.

I will not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bill C
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed here one night last week and it was very good! The room was very clean as was the whole facility. Parking was a little challenging as you park on street for the night and have to move car in AM. No worries though! Ate dinner at the Portsmouth Brewery and it was delicious!
Breakfast is included at this hotel and it was also very good. The manager made a presence and spoke to guests to check on the stay and the food. I like to see this as it shows they care. We got the room on priceline and it was a great value. The staff was very friendly and helpful with local shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Hallways are noisy so I would ask to be away from the elevator and maybe even and end room to cut do...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ratootie
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Don't be fooled by the name of this hotel...it is not waterfront, but who cares! This is a great, new Residence Inn and much nicer than most I've stayed in. The rooms are large and very nice. There is a reasonably priced self-park lot across the street. The hotel has a great complimentary breakfast and other complimentary meals during the week. The is a short walk to the restaurants and shops of downtown Portsmouth. This is definitely worth every penny!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple