“Quaint and welcoming B&B”
Review of Eastman Inn

Eastman Inn
Ranked #5 of 21 North Conway B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“Quaint and welcoming B&B”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

This B&B was a real find. The decor is very quaint and welcoming. The rooms seem to be individually appointed with great attention to detail. A lot of quilts and cute little paintings on the walls. The only thing I did not like was that the mattress was too soft for my back. The innkeeper wad very pleasant. Breakfast was served in shifts either at 8am or 9 am and consisted of bread pudding, ham and asparagus. I will definitely return here if I visit the White Mountains again.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Superzu
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We booked the Eastman Inn because of photos of the porch and was not disappointed. We sat out a great deal and enjoyed the fresh air. We stayed three nights and all three breakfasts were superb. One could tell a great deal of thought and effort went into each one. Art and Sherry are such great hosts. Art was very helpful with tips on where to hike and what the weather was going to be each day.

The inn is in a house that was built in the 1770's, so don't expect it to be perfect. However, inside is a clean, warm and comfortable home. It's like going back to your Grandma's house. When in the area again, we'll return to the Eastman Inn. At first we were concerned with the busy highway out front. However, once inside you really can't here the road noise, especially at night.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
cheltenham, UK
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed in Room 5 for 2 nights as part of our wedding anniversary trip. I booked this room with an outside access because I thought having access from the porch would be convenient.However Room 5 was a great disappointment.
Cons:
There was a musty smell to the room.
The floor sagged near the bathroom door.
The wardrobe door dropped and was difficult to close.
There was a concertina blind and no curtain so the blind had to be kept closed in case someone walked past and saw us changing. This made the room gloomy.
Room 4 next door was clearly being used as a storage room.
The bathroom only had a shower which was in poor condition and the room was so small you could barely turn around - it also had no window.
The toiletries were free samples from magazines!
The exterior is in need of renovation and painting.
Whist the porch was nice it was spoilt by road noise.

Pros:
The breakfast was great - high quality and unusual.

This was one of the more expensive of the 7 hotels/motels/inns we stayed in during our 15 day trip and whilst the breakfast was excellent the accomodation was the worst of the bunch.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms 4 or 5. The road is busy so you will be woken early by traffic in front facing roo...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
ArthurD6, Owner at Eastman Inn, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and thank you for the specific comments. We shape our future plans based on guest feedback.

We have investigated and discovered the water leak from above that was causing the musty smell. The entire wall in the bedroom has been taken down to the studs and replaced. The Leak was repaired. That particular bedroom has a shower as noted in the review. It was built as an interior bathroom, hence it has no windows, indeed it is a small bathroom, I shall mention that in my room description so that future guests will know. Just as the rooms that face the road are currently noted in the room descriptions of our web site.

I participate in "Brand Connections" that provides us samples for our guests. Samples include granola, razors, shampoo, skin moisturizing creams, toothpaste, etc. These are always supplemental to the amenities we purchase and supply to our guests. The shampoo and conditioner mentioned in the review is attached to a 3x5 card with a coupon for $$ savings. I can see where a guest not familiar with marketing done by large companies may confuse these samples with what we supply. My housekeeping staff was instructed to place 2 cards in each room since mid August (in addition to the regular amenities).

I am not sure what a 'concertina' blind is. We have pull down blinds in that room, the room does darken, and since we had to remove the wall, we replaced the wallpaper with a light 'straw colored' paint that livens up the room. With the new red and yellow oriental carpet, it really 'pops' now ! (I know too HGTV...very subjective comment on my part).

The Exteriof of the house was ditry. After a long summer it was dusty and had a lot of cobwebs. I must admit I was derelict in keeping the outside of the house spotless; nevertheless, we took 1/2 a day, myself and a helper washed the entire perimeter of the 1st and 2nd floor and it looks super now.

Room 4 is a guest room; please see my web page ? It is open to rentals; I am not sure what the comment refers to or why it was mentioned in the first place.

Again I welcome all comments, we continually strive to provide high quality B and B experience in our 200 year old home.

We appreciate all feedback from our guests, it is good to have another 'eye' to help us keep up.
Doylestown, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My son & I came for a hiking trip to Mt. Washington and stayed at the Eastman Inn. Our flight to Manchester arrived late and we didn't get to the Inn until almost midnight. We called in advance, and our keys and a "welcome family" letter was at the front door. We headed to our room and it was very nice. I woke up in the morning and I have never slept so well away from home! The breakfast was amazing and they even made a special meal for my 11 year old. We were able to get great tips for our hike and really enjoyed our weekend here. I will stay again everytime I am in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We only stayed one night, but it was very nice the owner gave us a free upgrade room and it was nice to only have to walk across the street for a wonderful dinner. We sat out on the porch and relaxed with some wine and had a very peaceful night in our comfortable bed. The breakfast was very good and the who had breakfast with us were very nice to talk with.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple