“Good food, nice store”

Ranked #24 of 99 Restaurants in North Conway
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a health food store, cafe serving Breakfast & Lunch, deli, and bakery. We specialize in organic, locally sourced, and creative breakfast and lunch food. We have something for the vegetarian, vegan, and conscious omnivore. We have an organic espresso/smoothie/juice bar in our cafe and offer many gluten-free items both in our bakery and on our cafe menu (though we are not a gluten-free facility). Our espresso bar uses locally roasted, organic, fair trade espresso and coffee, local milk and cream, and house-made syrups. Our meats and cheeses are naturally and humanely raised, our eggs are local and organic, our bread is organic and house-made, and our produce, nuts, seeds, and grains are 100% organic. We use recycled/recyclable to-go ware, and compost food waste at our own farm, Mountain Flower Farm, where we grow produce for our cafe and market in-season. We source locally whenever available. NEW!!! Outdoor seating! Table Service! Breakfast Beers & Cocktails!
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

We came in for lunch— the menu had lots of options for a group and they were flexible about making changes. Pesto turkey sandwich was great. Very large raw pickles and zesty sauerkraut too, as a side. Would definitely stop back here if passing thru again.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

My family and I were on a vacation and this restaurant was the only one in the area where I could eat foods that fit my dietary needs as I am allergic to many foods.

I had called ahead and ordered a pickup of two breakfast bowls for my mother and I before heading to out for the day. When I picked up the food at the cafe, I asked the woman at the counter if they had seating anywhere for customers to eat. This was a big place with multiple rooms and a decent property, so I was not sure if, since they were a cafe, they had a place to sit and enjoy coffee/food. I told her, if not, no big deal. She was kind and said we could sit outside on the deck, off the dining room. She then checked with the dining room "manager" (Elise I believe) who said it was okay. Assuming this was, in fact, an okay thing to do after two approvals, my mother, son and I went to the deck to eat our breakfast.

About a minute into eating our breakfast, the dining room "manager" (the same one who said it was okay if we sat outside) came outside and over to our table. She began patronizing my mother and I, telling us we actually could NOT eat at the establishment, that take out food cannot be eaten in the dining room (in this case dining deck) but today she would allow it this once, but that we could not do it in the future. To add insult to injury, we had just spent $40 on their over priced breakfast and their dining room was dead empty.

She accomplished us never making the same mistake again, because we will never be back!

Date of visit: August 2018
Kendra J, Public Relations Manager at The Local Grocer, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Hello Meghan G,
We are very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience here at The Local Grocer. Our once seat yourself cafe is now a full-service restaurant and apologize for the confusion and that you were told conflicting information which made you and you and your family feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, this was certainly not our intention as we want everyone to feel welcomed and valued. This is not a typical experience and we do hope that you will give us another chance to impress you. Thank you for your feedback we do truly appreciate it.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Found this little gem while looking for something organic/gluten free to eat! Try the turkey Rueben on gluten free bread- delicious. Snacks, treats, vitamins and more available. Dine in or take out also. Smoothie bar too!

Reviewed 18 August 2018

We had a great lunch, selecting two items from the daily specials. The Tomato soup and the steak and mushroom roll up were very well prepared, with fresh tomatoes and well seasoned base. The sandwich was a delight with strong mushrooms. not overcooked and not greasy with a good beef flavor. My relatives live in this valley and this could easily become a regular place to eat and buy groceries.

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

We had the turkey pesto melt and the falafel wrap. Both were insanely fresh and well done. Everything is so fresh and local. Service is one of the best I ever experienced. All the employees are so nice and at least 4 different ones came over to say hi to us.
Outstanding !