“outstanding, great history”

Conway Scenic Railroad
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy an old-fashioned railroading experience with all trains departing from an 1874 station in North Conway Village. Whether you choose one of the Valley Trains to Conway or Bartlett, or take the Notch Train through spectacular Crawford Notch, this is a journey back in time the whole family will enjoy. Valley Train Season: mid-April through December. Notch Train Season: late June through mid-October. Coach, First Class, and Dining Car options are available on all routes. Chilren under 4 ride free in Coach on the Valley Trains. Well-behaved dogs are always welcome.
Massachusetts
“outstanding, great history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

The Conway Scenic Railroad is the pinacle of tourist railroading in the Northeast. All of the equipment is vintage, unique, and historic. To ride coach is to experiance what travelers of the 19th and 20th century would have experianced.
The first class car "Gertrude Emma" is an outstanding passenger car. Each passenger is treated to their own individual wicker chair and window. The beauty of the car is immense. The 1898 fully restored hand carved wood work is amazing to look at. I had the pleasure of riding on the observation deck through the valleys and was truly satisfied.
The scenery on the either train is outstanding. When riding through Conway enroute to Conway, the train makes its way through spectacular valleys. These valleys are beautiful and you would think you are back in the 1940s when everything was simpler.
All of the motive or locomotives are vintage. Primarily run by diesel, you have the pleasure of riding behind a vintage GP-7 #573, an Alco S4 #1055, or the twin sister locomotives FP9s #'s 6505 and 6516. All of the motive power is in pristine condition.
The flagship locomotive of the Conway Scenic is steam locomotive #7470. It is great that the Conway Scenic mantains and oporates a living piece of history. When hearing the whistle of the 7470 in the Valleys of North Conway you really get a sense of appreciating the hard work and preservation of history that this railroad has made and offered to all of us.
The station is the real eye cather of North Conway itself. Fully restored and in excelent condition, its existance is purely responsible of the efforts of the Conway Scenic Railroad. I recommend this railroad for its scenic beauty and preservation of history, truly an A+ oporation and definately worth the price.

3 Thank scenicrailways
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Holbrook, Mass
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nothing Scenic About This Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

So much money and so little to see. The Restrooms smelled and the coaches seemed dirty.The open air coach had seats as hard as stone. Too much money for that trip and most of the whole trip was nothing but trees and more trees. If I wanted to see trees I would go walk in the woods for free. Stay away from this place.

3 Thank MasterMechanic
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2008

Spend your $13 elsewhere. Expecting a 55 minute ride through the bucolic countryside we got a 15 minute ride with a view of trailer parks, backyards, and the back of shopping plazas, a 20 minute stop for the engine to change direction, then another 15 minutes through the same backyards and trailer parks. All in a train car that smelled like lunchmeat and had fogged up windows. Avoid this tourist trap and spend your money elsewhere.

2 Thank JATravels07
Ridge, N. Y.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“N.conway scenic railroad///NOT HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

Last year, my friend and I thought we'd try the dining car trip. Because, I have multiple sclerosis and have limited mobility, she went in to the ticket office to see if I would be able to board the train. They have NOTHING to aid in assisting a handicapped person to ride their train. But, when my friend was inquiring@ the dining car arrangements, (seating etc.) the clerk asked, "well, does she talk?" How awful and how ignorant of this man to think that because my mobility is less than normal, I must not have a brain that would allow me to speak!!! He was definitely not welcoming me to this tourist attraction but he also was rude.
I rode that train 30 or so yrs. ago when I was a young mother. My 2 little boys really enjoyed it and so did my mom. I've had MS only for the past 15 yrs., thank God(seems like forever tho')and I was a music teacher in the public schools in N.y. for nearly 30 yrs. so , to that ticket agent , YES, I TALK AND I ALSO SING!! PLEASE GET MODERN SO PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES CAN ENJOY THE CONWAY SCENIC RAILROAD.

4 Thank lyndaearthsong
wigan, England
3 attraction reviews
“Worst ever train ride”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

I'm an optimist, so even after reading the negative reviews My Husband & I decided to try this.
Firstly we paid for the 2 hour trip to Bartlett at 2.30pm but after having boarded the train at 2.30 the announcement came after having left the Station that this was the 1 hour trip to Conway and the Bartlett one was cancelled- Brilliant as it was too late to get off!! ( & yes the conductor had seen our tickets).
We had seats in first class ( All that means is wicker chairs facing the windows) We could not believe the area we went through- previous reviews are accurate- peoples backyards, along the side of the main highway & other incredibly unattractive areas. This is a complete and utter rip off & most definately not worth spending money on- DON'T GO.

3 Thank TravelJane381