“I DON'T know how this place stays in business”

The Flying Goose Brew Pub and Grille
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 4 November 2017

They say the definition of chaos is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I find myself doing that when I go to The Flying Goose expecting good food and service, instead I find that they've gotten progressively worse than the last time I was there.

On a Friday afternoon in November, my friend and I walked into the bar and we weren't greeted by anyone, as a matter of fact, 2 waitresses walked by us and didn't even acknowledge us. I finally said to one of them, do we just sit anywhere? And she said sure and that was it and kept on walking.

We sat down at the only empty table and it was filthy, hadn't been cleaned, dirty napkins were on the floor. The same waitress who said "sure" finally came to our table after 10 minutes of waiting. She was about to put down the menus when my friend said, "Can you clean this table before you put the menus down"? She seemed really put off by this but went and got the cleaner and cleaned half the table at best, she didn't even pick up the dirty napkins.

We each ordered a beer and our meal, it took another 10 minutes to get the beer to us, and when she finally brought them to us, they weren't all that cold anymore. This was perhaps the WORST waitress I have ever had, she just didn't want to work at all and had a real attitude when we asked her to clean a dirty table.

I asked her for 2 waters, she was standing right by the bar and should have gotten them right then and there, instead she disappeared for another 10 minutes. I got up and went to the bar to ask the bartender for water and saw our waitress SITTING on the floor in between the walkway from the restaurant to the bar, ON HER PHONE! When she saw me, she got up and then proceeded to get waters for us. I had already asked the bartender for waters and she rudely said you're waitress is already getting them for you. Sure 10 minutes later after she got up from the floor while playing on her phone. How do you get up from a floor? You use your hands to lift yourself, did she wash her hands? OF COURSE NOT! I was completely grossed out at this point.

I ordered a burger medium, when I bit into it I thought I was going to lose a tooth, it was so WELL DONE, the bacon was black and burnt to a crisp (Please see my pictures). I sent it back, again more attitude from our waitress, she brought out another burger and this wasn't even cooked it was RAW (Please see my pictures). I didn't even bother sending it back, I just wanted to get out of this place because it was such a miserable experience.

I wasn't looking for a free meal or dessert but most GOOD restaurants offer you dessert or at the very least take your meal off of the bill, not with this waitress and because of that we reflected her sub-par service in her tip.

I will NEVER go back to this restaurant, the food is overpriced, it's not even good, and the staff is atrocious!

There are so many better places around, go to Tucker's in New London for truly outstanding food and customer service or the New London Inn where the food and staff are top notch.

4  Thank Rosie P

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Hadn't been to the Goose in a while, but it always feels like home. The pub is a real friendly place and the wait staff is great. We had typical pub grub, including burgers, calamari and casedeas. Generous drinks too. It's a great local spot.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Great reception by young man at reception. Couldn't have been nicer. Was able to seat us by window. We all had the onion soup and declared, as Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm say ..... it was pretty good. Three of us had the meatloaf with pepper sauce. A little to much pepper for our taste, as the meatloaf became an afterthought. Had onion rings on the side, which were very very thin, but rather tasty. The noise level was perfect for conversation and the waitress was attentive.
All in all a good experience.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

3 of us stopped here, literally on a lunch whim on a Saturday afternoon, knowing nothing about the restaurant. Touring the area w/ someone who is looking at possibly moving to here and everything was a big hit.
Tried two of their beers- which were really enjoyed, for entrees we had bbq pulled pork, fried haddock sandwich, and rueben sandwich. All were SO good, I don't know that I could pick one over the other. Service was great, very friendly, place was very busy. Look forward to coming back soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Very friendly staff arranged us a table with great view.
Also she recommended fresh brewed beer that was not on the list yet. Excellent to go with the traditional pub dishes.
Reservations needed for a table !!!! 603-526-6899