“Off the beaten path homemade Italian”

Mangia Italian Restaurant
Ranked #73 of 440 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2018

This is a hidden special spot. Owned by a family who is wholly focused on homemade Italian dishes. They make almost everything from scratch, and to order. Yes, it will take longer than typical restaurants, but typical restaurants don't create your entire meal for you. It's on the south end of Elm Street, not among other restaurants, but it's worth a try. Also, it's BYOB, so bring your favorite bottle of wine and they'll serve it to you - otherwise you're not drinking! The ambiance is nice, and you can see the love they have for food.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 29 July 2018

Ordered Vongole and my wife ordered a shrimp dish on pasta. IN BOTH CASES THE GRAY (SAUCE) HAD HOT SPICES IN IT.. BOTH OF US CAN NOT STAND HOT STUFF THAT MAKES YOUR MOUTH BOIL. The owner threw it all on the server BUT his menu did not mention a word about it having hot stuff. In fact his comment via the waiter is that how it is made in Italy (not true)…… Do you think they would of adjusted the bill in some way, no at all. So we will not be back. Beware in this restaurant!!!!!!!!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 8 May 2018

Most restaurants make money on selling wine/alcohol, but Mangia focuses their revenue stream on the food and it is really good. However, I think because this cute little restaurant is BYOB, their wait staff is limited. Which means long waits for food, difficulty getting the attention of your waiter for things like new napkins or plates to share an appetizer. This can frustrate most people. For me, it just meant spending more time with friends, enjoying the wine you bought for $15.00 (opened by your waiter for a small fee) and smiling when the bill comes and you had a really good meal for $37.50 each (appetizer, main and shared desert). I would definitely go again just for the food.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I had the veal chicken marsala with cream and ordered meatballs. So, so good!! I'm still thinking about it the next day.

They have the best service. I love the experience here. It's so relaxing, the food is great and I love BYOB. It's my favorite restaurant. Never had a bad experience here. Soooo good.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Arrived for our 6pm reservation and were seated immediately. We ordered the bruschetta/garlic bread combination and it was wonderful. I had the spinach salad which I enjoyed while my husband had the soup. Although the soup arrived hot, he was not a fan of the flavor. I had a chicken dish (Pollo Valdostana) while my husband had the veal special. Both arrived hot and excellently prepared. We finished the evening by splitting a triple cannoli dessert which was served with cream and strawberries.. We had a relaxed dinner at a quaint spot and had the pleasure of bringing our own wine.

Date of visit: March 2018