“The Outhouse at Squam Lake”

Cottage Place on Squam Lake
Peabody, Massachusetts
“The Outhouse at Squam Lake”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

This place is disgusting! We were so disgusted, we turned right around and drove 3 hrs. back home. We checked in and when we entered Cottage #1 there were ants on the ceiling and floor. The place was very dirty. When I went and complained about the ants, the Manager apologized and told me there were no other cottages available. The groundsman, who was standing there, said " I put some poison down yesterday , do you want me to put some more". We had our dog with us for God's Sake, he would have been tied up right outside where they were to put the poison. When I told her that we wanted our money back, the Manager agreed and voided the charge I made upon check-in but my deposit was made before they changed their credit card system so they would mail me a check. Needless to say I have not received that check and have contacted them and they have no intention of sending it. They accused us of exagerating the ant problem. Please people, you read some of the other reviews with the same problem. On their website they make Cottage #1 appear to be a "Doll House", what we saw was an "Outhouse". Check out their website. Also, it looks like the cottages are right on the beach, WRONG! The beach was across busy Rte. 3. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT CONSIDER THE COTTAGE PLACE AT SQUAM LAKE !!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank LiveandLearn1126
cottageplace, Owner at Cottage Place on Squam Lake, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
It is important to acknowledge that our Cottage #1 is very small. We are located beside our lake frontage at the foothills of White Mountains, therefore there may be an ant or two. We have our exteriors treated by a professional exterminator once a year, however, we do use ant traps in between especially after a wet spell to minimize and discourage ants. We all know that these are safe for children and pets. This guest did not stay long enough to evaluate cleanliness nor long enough to determine an ant problem. He basically opened the door, saw the size of the cottage and came right back to the office wanting his money back. We try to explain that Cottage #1 is small and a one room design which means very little floor space, but it has a brand new bathroom with brand new shower and tub insert. This cottage is popular because it offers our lowest rate. This guest arrived on a sold out weekend and we were sending many, many phone inquiries and off road travelors to our lodging neighbors. Our policy is not to refund upon arrival and our deposit is nonrefundable in July, August and for holiday weekends. In this case, we did refund the amount paid upon arrival, however, the deposit was also a credit to this guest, as he had already made a last minute cancellation for the first reservation. We could have said - sorry your deposit is clearly identified as "nonrefundable" but we did not, we allowed him to use as a credit for another time. We are very proud of our property and work hard year round to maintain it. We have learned that we cannot be everything to everybody. We are available by email cottageplace@gmail.com or by phone 1-877-968-7116 to answer any and all questions. If you are honest about what you need to be happy on vacation, we will be able to determine if we are an appropriate match. It has been my sad experience that some folks just cannot be happy anywhere. Luckily for us we have over 2500 visitors a year and most are return customers. So many thanks to those who enjoy our property.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Taunton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We came up for our 15th anniversary and stayed in cottage #6. We really didn't have any complaints except it was an extremely hot weekend and there was no a/c. Yes, there was the main road that separates the cottages from the lake but we didn't think it was particularly noisy and if you're bringing your kids and pets, be a responsible adult and walk them across. What's the big deal? Do your research first. Anyway, the cottage was cute and smelled like a fireplace (I'm not complaining, I like that smell). The bed looked clean and was ok to sleep on, but there's nothing like "your own bed". I'm not complaining about that either. We could sit in our Adirondack chairs and have a little bbq on the Weber grill outside our cottage. We could even smoke outside without being chased off the property. It was a little expensive though. Actually, that whole area was expensive. Castle in the Clouds was beautiful. Weirs Beach and the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center were a good time as well. We saw Sue, the owner, on a few occasions working at the store or cleaning up the rooms. Nice, but not overly friendly. Typical New Englander, just like us. So that was fine too. Overall, we had a nice time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed in Cabin #6. It was clean and cozy. Decorated with a typical mountain/lake motif: knotty pine walls, stone fireplace, Adirondock chairs on the porch. It was very convenient having the little kitchen/dining area in the cabin. There was plenty of room for my partner, myself, and my dog. After our stay here we travelled to a motel in Maine and my partner & I both wished we had stayed longer at The Cottage Place. We would definitely return here.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
LasVegas
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I really enjoyed myself, It was quiet, clean and comfortable. The beach and lake are amazing. The owner was extremely helpful. I truly did not want to leave. I plan on going back real soon.
I traveled with my 12 yr, 19 yr old and 2 dogs and was amazed by how pet friendly this place was. Not once did my kids say " I'm board ". I highly recommend this place....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 September 2010

My husband and I and 9 year old daughter extended our stay for 1 additional night. None of us wanted to leave. We had a very relaxing and fun time. The lake was beautiful and clean as was the private beach area. There is a busy road between the cottages and the lake. However, it didn't take away from our visit to the area. Our 2 bedroom cottage was clean upon arrival and roomy enough for all of us. The owner was very accommodating and willing to work with us and our requests. My 9 year old said her bed was "totally comfortable" and "I had a blast"!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
7.8 km away
0.4 km away
Inn on Golden Pond
Inn on Golden Pond
#2 of 3 in Holderness

Been to Cottage Place on Squam Lake? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK