“Great experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
montreal
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

We planned a last minute weekend getaway and only found this motel available, and could say I was pleasantly surprised. The bathroom was renovated and clean with lot's of towels. The room was small, but perfect for sleeping. The pool is unheated, but kept very clean and they also provide pool towels wich really surprised me. I would like to mention that this motel is not walking distance to a sandy part of the beach. Since we have small children we took the car to the beach. Compared to the ships inn,(wich we stayed 2 years ago) this room was much cleaner and the bathrooms were new.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank santis_d
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Arlington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

The owner was rude and disorganized. She called and tried to cancel my reservation the night before our stay saying that they do not book single night visits. I would have no problem with that if she hadn't booked my single night reservation over a month ago taking my credit card information to hold the room. The conversation ended with her saying, "Fine - we'll do it this time, but not again". Customer service is a foreign concept to these people.

We have stayed at Hampton Beach many times over the years and have enjoyed a few different motels and hotels. This was by far the dirtiest and smallest room we've ever stayed in. Two people could not fit inbetween the bed and TV stand. The shower was a single upright stall and lighting was a solitary florescent ceiling fixture. The bed was not comfortable and the pillows felt like they were made out of balloons - I ended up using rolled up pants instead.

Overall it was a very uncomfortable and disappointing experience. Please try to enjoy a different motel anywhere in Hampton!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Hampton hotels

nospamplz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

first off...let me say that I am NOT a relative or friend of anyone connected to this hotel (as some would suggest) I am a genuinely satisfied customer who had a great trip thanks in part to this motel :) My friend and I went up mid-November for a surf swell/mini-vaca before finals, and I got everything I wanted from my siesta. The local is perfect..a 5 min stroll down the wall in the morning lets you check out the waves, have a nice walk on the beach, or walk down to the shops (basically do whatever you'd like to do). The staff is over-the top sweet and will go out of their way to accommodate you in every way they can. The bed that i slept on was soooo comfortable! (more comfortable than my own bed in truth ;) ) and the small kitchen(mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, sink) made it easy to eat cheap rather than having to eat out all the time. Also the rates are extremely reasonable off-season. I admit it's not the ritz, but for a nice little spot, clean, warm, hospitable, and affordable, it's unbeatable. :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank nospamplz
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

I have to say that I have been going to the Sun and Surf for many years and I can not be more pleased with the room, the service and the personel, room with kitchenette are big enough, the rooms are clean and you can ask anything to the personel they will go out of their way to please you. Great place don t listen to frustated people.........

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank hurraynh
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2008

First of all, these small Hampton Beach motels are totally overpriced and the owners take advantage of the fact that (and it is STILL a mystery to me) that most motels and hotels in this area are booked solid during July. Planning this trip, I searched a whole 2 days on the Web (and Tripadvisor - in their defence, no-one has written anything on this motel before) as I was a bit late in deciding on a destination close to Boston and outlet shopping, given the miserable weather we have been having.

Many of these small hotels have terrible reviews, but I could not find much information on the Sun & Surf motel, only 1 or 2 reviews, and they were positive! so I thought I had discovered a secret gem here. Now I know they must have been written by a relative of the owners or something like it.

The rooms are small, the walls are bare and paper-thin, and THE BEDS WERE JUST PLAIN MISERABLE and do not qualify as such, as they were way smaller than described on the phone, and the springs could be felt through my back and my sleepless nights.

This is just a very old place that is not very well kept. I had seen a couple of reviews were it said the place was clean - if this place means clean - I would hate to seem some that are dirty. The drinking glass in our room was filthy. I do not wish to over do it on the negatives, but this wannabe motel is just plain bad. On the positive side, its probably par for the course in this class of overpriced pigeon holes for the area. The lesson I have learned: 1) For a vacation near the beach on the east coast, I will be going back to a our nice Coleman pop-up tent trailer. Its 27 feet long when opened, air conditionned with a side-pull dinette, and above all its clean. I really think its still our best option unless you have $ 250.00 pet night to get out of this class of small motel the sun & surf is in. I also must mention a thing of two about this Hampton Beach destination, especially for those travellers who will have to invest in a 6 hour drive like me. Hampton Beach probably used to be a nice place decades ago, but its T-shirt and pizza city now, and well, pretty tacky. But some people (many in fact) like this, so do let this stop you if thats what you are looking for.

Nest time, I will invest in one extra day of driving, and move on to Virginia Beach, (like we had been doing the previous 5 years) where the beach is pristine, the temperature rarely falls under 90 degrees, and the water is very warm, unlike the chilling waters in Hampton and Old Orchard.

We eventually cut short our stay at the Sun & Surf, sorry to be blunt, but never, NEVER will I take chances with our family vacation this way again. What a frustrating let down.

• Liked — Nothing really
  • Disliked — Not clean, beds and overall accomodation not as described when making the reservation
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family