“Friendly Staff, Great Location, Not Clean, Curious Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Days Inn Dover

Days Inn Dover
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Dover
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Friendly Staff, Great Location, Not Clean, Curious Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Upon arriving at my room I noticed the door was not closed all the way so I figured someone was still in cleaning it so I returned to my car and waited about 20 minutes. I saw no activity so I went back to the room. Upon entering all the lights were on, the bed was made, but the pillows were on the floor and clean pillow cases were on the table (I don't mind this). I also noticed that the garbage cans had not been emptied and there was still garbage on the nightstand (again, not really a big deal). I just figured the person cleaning got called away before being able to finish. My big surprise came in the morning when I went to shower. There was a used bar of soap, dirt and hair left in the tub. This I have a problem with. I went to the front desk and explained to the clerk and she stated she would have someone clean it later that day. I asked if it could be done soon so that I could shower in a clean tub. She had a blank stare back at me, but a real nice lady from the laundry room jumped in and stated she would do it right away. I went to breakfast and the continental breakfast was good. It was a typical Days Inn breakfast. I went back to my room to find the bed made, room spiffed up and bathroom "cleaned". While taking my shower I noticed the hair that had just been pushed up the shower wall and all the cob webs in every corner. This tells me cleaning is not thorough, but I wasn't going to complain anymore. The next day I noticed a dust wand was left on the desk in my room near my camera bag and a zipper was open on my bag that I haven't opened since I first got it. This tells me that someone went through my bag. Nothing was missing, but I don't leave valuables in my room ever so I can't say if anything would have been taken or not. I returned the dust wand to the front desk and the clerk thought it was funny and said at least I knew my room had been dusted. Well the cob webs were still there, so obviously not dusted very well. The staff I encountered was very friendly, the location was great the only bad thing I really have to say about this hotel is it's cleanliness was not the greatest which is shocking to me for a Days Inn. Another odd thing that I noticed and have never seen before in all of my travels is an envelope for a tip for the maid. Here's a tip.....do your job thoroughly and completely and stay out of guests belongings.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
ManagerDover_NH, General Manager at Days Inn Dover, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
As I mentioned to you in my email on September 6, 2011 that I had spoken with our Head Housekeeper and we did investigate to see what happened. There was a mix up and our Maintance Department was in the room doing some maintance repairs so the room should have been put off market. Housekkeeping had not finished cleaning the room. I was not aware of this when I checked you in early that morning. You should have immediately come back to me so I could have moved you to a different room as this room was not ready to be rented. We do have an in room safe for your use in your room for any valuables that you wish to leave in your room. I am very sorry again for any inconvience that you experienced and do hope that you will give us another opportunity to come back and give us another try.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stayed here while visiting family and were "upgraded" to a suite in separate building which was a nice gesture. The staff at front desk were exremely nice and friendly. We checked in and did not return until almost midnight. Our bathroom was very clean as was the kitchen,however, there was dust and hair in piles on the edges of the floor all throughout. It's like they just vacuum the center of the room and never the edges and never move any furniture to clean. I dropped my phone behind the night stand and yikes when I went to get it I saw dust and hair like it hadn't been cleaned in years! I have very bad dust allergies and sneezed all night. We visit this area regularly and the location is perfect and really want to like this place. It's too bad because the staff is great.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
ManagerDover_NH, General Manager at Days Inn Dover, responded to this review, 2 January 2012
Thank you for letting us know that you did enjoy being upgraded but I am very sorry to hear that your room was not thorougly cleaned to your satisfaction. Our staff will be addressing this issue so it does not happen again. We do hope that you will give us another try so that we can exceed your expectations!
Rockaways, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

My husband & I stumbled across this motel while searching for a place to stay in the greater Dover, NH area in the late afternoon, in early November. I was alittle skeptical at first, being it was a motel right in the heart of downtown, and I wondered about a "negative element" being present. However, I was pleasanly surprised. For a "small motel", it is deceptively large. There are several accomodations for longer-term travelers/business folks, and the motel features an indoor pool & whirpool section that offers both first & second floor rooms within the indoor pool area. The rest of the motel wasn't too shabby either, with decent-sized rooms, nice color TV's w/cable features; free front-door parking, and did I say clean, clean, clean accomodations? The motel is right in the heart of town, which features many little eateries, restaurants, specialty shops, chinese restaurants, and bars/pubs....all within walking distance. The front desk lady was especially helpful, and worked with us to find the best rate (AAA, AARP, gov't/military, etc) while we stood right there! She recommended several nice places to eat. We had a peaceful evening, ate cheap at the local chinese place (soup/salad bar and split a dinner for $13!), and had a decent night's sleep. Come morning, we sampled their continental breakfast. Though offered, we didn't try the make-it-yourself waffles. And it would've been nice had there been some yogurt and fresh fruit to choose from. However, we did load up on cereal, bagels/english muffins and assorted pastries. We are plannng another trip up into the area, and would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: "Inside pool rooms" more expensive than outside rooms; also a smell of chlorine is to be e...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RockawayCamper
ManagerDover_NH, General Manager at Days Inn Dover, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Thank you very much for letting me know that you enjoyed your stay with us! It is so nice that you took the time to tell others of the benefits of being downtown! Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year! We are looking forward to you staying with us again!
Burlington, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We have stayed here several times during the last three years, in various rooms and suites (they refer to them as apartments). Each stay has been top notch in comfortable and clean rooms, with good Wifi connections, great cable TV channel selections, and a tasty free breakfast. Being in a central location near historic Dover and Portsmouth, and the outlets in Kittery, Maine is a plus.
The front desk staff is efficient and friendly, and offer to help in anyway possible. The housekeeping staff maintains very clean rooms and are helpful with special requests for additional items.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happily_Homeless2009
Thank you very much for letting me know how very much you enjoyed your stay with us! It is always nice to know when we have exceeded your expectations! Looking forward to you staying with us again!
Oneida, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

We have been staying here over 10 years. During that time we have stayed in a number of rooms throughout the complex. The last few years we have been traveling with a pet and they are welcomed, We noticed there were others also traveling with pets too. Rooms have always been clean and comfortable. Location is downtown and near a transportation hub. A neighboorhood market is located across the street. You might hear some neighboorhood noise but that's expectd in a downtown location. Breakfast in the morning is good and things are "fresh".

Room Tip: Rooms near inside pool
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Thank you very much for letting us know that you have been enjoying your stays with us over the past ten years! We are looking forward to you staying with us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
2.8 km away
8.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express Durham
12.8 km away
The Anchorage Inn - Rochester

Been to Days Inn Dover? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK