“Last night before new ownership”
Review of Orchard Street Chop Shop - CLOSED

Orchard Street Chop Shop
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Central Ave.
Transit: Within a few hundred yards.
Description: We are the first true prime steakhouse in the state of NH featuring dry-aged steaks and Wine Spectator award winning wine list. Opened in 2004 by acclaimed CIA chef, Chris "Koz" Kozlowski, the restaurant garnered the prestigious "Hidden Jewel" award from the Phantom Gourmet in 2013. Chef Koz is the only chef to receive this award twice in the state of NH. The restaurant is located in an old firehouse building located right downtown Dover. The downstairs is more elegant with white tablecloths and chandeliers. The upstairs is called the Top of the Chop and features a more casual atmosphere with a lighter "Rustic Menu". In the warmer months, you can have dinner outside on the Terrace, our outdoor deck. We also have a full kids menu.
Reviewed 30 November 2016

Hate to see it close ,always enjoyed dinner at the bar.Hopefully it will reopen soon.The new owners are from the Brickhouse near by.They do a great job there and look forward to the reopening.

Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

Went recently to celebrate a friends engagement. We were greeted not so warmly, "do you have a gift card or here for restaurant week?" No and no. Should that matter? I found the food to be ok, the bisque starter was probably my favorite part. Food was slow and overall decent, but not sure for the price. Better off heading to Portsmouth where I could pick pretty much any street and find a better meal, with less attitude. I tried to be open minded as I've heard the owner publicly bashes customers for sending food back, but this was overall disappointing.

1  Thank beth_goes
Reviewed 28 October 2016

Koz (the owner) was nice and socializing even thought it was a busy night. He made sure "everything was ok and if there was anything else we needed".
The bartenders and servers were quick, courteous and engaging. The food (I had the "cowboy steak") was one of the best steaks I've ever had!

1  Thank lyndescc
Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

Went for dinner. Our table ordered fillet x2 and lobster and crab stew. The server was excellent! The stew was good, except it didn't taste like seafood. It tasted like pumpkin. There was no visual evidence that would suggest this stew was seafood. Not sure if the plates were confused and someone else's food was delivered to us, so needless to say, we were baffled.
Now on to the main course. I'll excuse the fact one plate was over cooked and one was served virtually raw. What I won't excuse, the beef tasted literally like the beef was rolled in cow dung. I thought it was just me that thought it until a family member stated the steak tasted like cow dung smelled. Nobody could possibly convince me this meat was edible.
On a positive note. The squash and twice baked baked potato were amazing. Also, the atmosphere was amazing. It was clean and well kept and the staff appeared to take pride with their work.
So, because of that, not sure if this was a rare occurrence or not. But with lobster and crab stew that tasted like pumpkin and horrible beef at a place that pretty much all they serve is beef, I'm pretty sure none of us will be a repeat customer.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

My husband and I have been 2 times. Once just the 2 of us; once with a group of 6. Both times we at upstairs (slightly more casual). We have really enjoyed both meals. Service, food, and drink were all better than average. We look forward to being 'regulars'.