Mizpah Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Economy Inn(Tonopah)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsmining townold westclaw foot tubpittman caferestored hotelantique furnishingscoffee servicefifth floormodern amenitiesjack dempseyhotel restaurantlobby barresident ghostlake tahoequeen roomshower curtainrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I think everyone should experience the Mizpah at least once. So glad that the Cline family is bringing the old girl back to life. The staff was great and the food & wine wonderful. The Jack Dempsey room was closed but the Pittman Room cafe had fine wine and menu choices. The shrimp on my wife's salad was the tastiest we had ever had. Even my dinner salad with it's iceberg lettuce was the freshest I have ever had. Because the hotel is no smoking you could eat at the bar if you wanted to.

The only problem was that our room was way too warm. I'm guessing 80+ degrees. Turning the AC knob did not cool things down at all. We were on the top floor and when we mentioned the problem to the staff the next morning, they said that all the rooms were too warm and that they hoped to get the AC repaired soon. Let's hope that they do, I can't imagine those hot rooms in July or August.

It was early March and the temps outside ranged between 19 and 32 degrees so we put the items we needed to keep cold out the window on the fire escape. The rooms have no microwaves or refrigerators but comfortable beds. No soda or ice machines in the hallways, that would ruin the hotel's ambience. They will bring you ice or you can get it from the bartender yourself.

Room Tip: Try for a room away from the busy street, towards the back parking lot.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank longball44
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I stopped for lunch this last week based on a friends recomendation. We both ordered identical burgers cooked to order. I have eaten many a burger in my extended years and this one has to be in the top five. Just excellent. They offer a limited wine list by the glass and bar service. Hotel lobby is a real step back in time reflecting the mining era of 100 years ago. We can not speak for any other items but will try on another trip. Driving south on US95 from Reno to Las Vegas is a wasteland of food options. Most fastfood outlets are just awful. The Mizpah offers a quality lunch experience that we welcome.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Aradwms
Reviewed 2 March 2012

When you are driving in this part of NE Nevada, you know you are seeing much history, but there isn't anything quite as wonderful as this wonderfully maintained elegant hisoric hotel. The Mizpah was built in 1907 and from the minute you enter you are transported a century ago.
I had the pleasure of having dinner in their well-maintained dining room The service was excellent, the food excellent and the wine list impressive and reasonable in price. We were unable to actually stay at the hotel as the hotel has a no pet policy and we were travelling "with cat." Interestingly enough our dining neighbours were fellow Canadians returning to British Columbia from Palm Desert. They indeed were staying at the hotel and added their enthusiasm for the historic elegance the hotel maintained while providing all the modern amenities one expects in modern hotels. All in hotel a unique experience in this little down that is an easy drive to the wonders of Death Valley.

Room Tip: As I indicated we did not actually sleep at the hotel, rather viewed the entire premises (including the bedrooms) and am adding the actual comments of a couple staying at the hotel. But truly a place to visit, eat at , have a drink at the fabulous eraly 20th Century bar or spend a few nights at. And reasonably priced in terms of other properties near Death Valley.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sylvia R
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Tonopah was our destination for a fun, weekend desert trip. We visited some of the historical mining locations around the area and geocached in the Rachel/Area 51 region. The Mizpah is truly a gem in this area. The staff were very friendly, the inside of the hotel is 1900's elegant and in pristine condition. The beds were fantastic and comfortable after each long day tromping around in the desert.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed 17 February 2012

While on sabbatical for 30 days I was driving thru central Nevada, The snow was really flying and I needed to get some rest, I found this special place in the town of tonopaha ,
The rooms are so nice,the staff is great.I do not drink but the bar looked nice as well.
At the pittman i noticed they didn't have any vegetarian meals so I ask to speak to the chef
He came out and spoke to me about my needs (mostly tofu and vegetables ) and said he would give it his best try,Very nice young man a bit heavy set with a cane that i thought was interesting.
When my meal came out it was wonderful, he made me a tofu and vegetable dish that was the best i have ever had. I asked him why tofu was not on the menu,he said that they didn't have tofu in the kitchen,when I asked him were he acquired it he told me he went down to the local store and bought it. I am very impressed by the way all of the staff treated me.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo