“Good place to gamble and eat” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Nugget Casino Resort
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Sparks
Houston, Texas
“Good place to gamble and eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed at the Peppermill in Reno but spent most of my time in the Nugget since I enjoyed the atmosphere and the card dealers were much more friendly. Not nearly as fancy as the Peppermill but a much better time. Also, John's Oyster Bar is an awesome restaurant. Grab a chair at the Oyster Bar / Open Kitchen and watch them shuck oysters and prepare great dishes. You have to try the Cioppino which is a seafood stew. It's out of this world! Oh yeah, and the Sports Book closes at 9pm for some reason. Bizarre........

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Worldtravelguy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Polish first
Orem, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Given the killer price we booked online, I was a little apprehensive of the quality, cleanliness, etc. we'd encounter on arrival. The Nugget turned out to be an excellent experience. Room was large and well-kept. Fresh, clean bedding & bathroom linen, comfortable bed. Self-parking was close and convenient. Front counter personnel very friendly and helpful.

Entire property clean and well-maintained.

OK, the decor is a little garish, but this is a casino property (what would you expect?). I can easily tolerate casino-like decor, given the price, cleanliness, comfort.

I also like the fact that the main casino areas are slightly apart from the front counter & room elevators.

Excellent omelet, tasty and plenty of it, for breakfast at Rosie's.

Good place, great value!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Worldwide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Whether you're there on vacation, business, or a weekend gambling junket, the Nugget Casino Resort is THE place to be in Sparks!! We happened to be there for a convention, and although we attend the organization's convention every year, there hasn't been a place yet that can equal the spaciousness, service, food, atmosphere, or welcoming and accommodating attitude of the Nugget staff! Everything was first rate, and we heard no complaints from the nearly 1500 attendees at the convention.The Nugget is a serious contender on the list of cities for the organization's future conventions - and it should be on yours too!!

Room Tip: The views were great from either side of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Roseville, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

The BBB complaint I filed: During our stay on 3/5/12 for two days, my Seiko watch was stolen.
We arrived at John Ascuaga's Nugget on 3/5/2012 at about 3:30 PM. I had made my reservation on line via Yahoo Travel and paid for a deluxe, 1 king bed with a free upgrade to a premier room. At check in the female employee said nothing and gave us the security key to room 1911. When we reached the room it was extremely hot and I removed my Seiko watch (square face, black background & gold) and placed it on the table. I immediately called the front desk and spoke with the woman that had waited on us and inquired as to why I was given a room with two beds when I had reserved a room with a king bed. I was not given a reason but after a brief wait she returned and said there were three rooms available with a king bed. I selected room 425 and asked if she could have a bellman meet me at room 425 and I would exchange my keys to 1911 for the ones to 425. Evidently when we vacated the room, which we did promptly, I forgot to pick up my watch. The next morning I looked for my watch and realized it was missing. I called hotel security when we returned from breakfast and filed a security report. A second officer checked room 1911 as I was filling out the report and then checked with housekeeping to see if it was in their lost and found. The security officer taking my report checked with someone and determined no one had stayed in 1911. Nothing had been turned in! I then expressed I believed there were possibly one of two things that might have occurred. Either the bellman went to room 1911 and took the watch or someone with a pass key, probably housekeeping, had taken it. Since it had not been turned in, I can only believe the Nugget has a thief somewhere on their staff. I was told Debra Yost would be handling the investigation and suggested I contact her on Friday the 9th. I spoke with the lady late in the afternoon and she indicated she had been in meetings all week and had not been able to initiate the investigation. I asked if she had read the report and she indicated she had. I asked for her thoughts on the matter and she stated she had not yet formed any theories as to what happened. I told her I knew someone very skilled at investigating such matters and he suggested the same scenario I had presented. She then informed me she would investigate, present her findings to some committee and they would determine if the Nugget has any liability! She did not seem to understand the Nugget has a thief on board and their only concern is liability! I should also mention that the woman that checked us in should not be dealing with the public as she has not people skills. When I asked to speak with the supervisor on duty she was actually worse. She had no people skills and was actually ride in the manner in which she spoke with me. Not the first time I have had such difficulty with the front desk personnel! There was never even an apology offered! On 3/26/2012 I received a response from Debra L. Yost Rick and Benefit Administrator which indicated a decision by the Nugget committee that the Nugget was not liable for my loss! I never expected to be reimbursed for my loss nor did I request any! I was upset with the fact that the Nugget has a thief on their payroll and they didn't seem to even investigate for that possibility. There front desk personnel were rude and incompetent!

Room Tip: I just find it strange there is not a rating for how guests were treated during the stay! I will nev...
Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Sparks hotels

Santa Cruz
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

This place is a dive! The red bedspread had dried white stains and cigarette burns all over it! The bed had a flat sheet, not fitted, so if you moved you were laying on a bare mattress! I don't have any back issues, but the bed was so hard that my back and both of my hips hurt the next morning. The floral patterns in the room were old, outdated, hideous and didn't match. This hotel needs a major remodel! I've stayed at Silver Legacy, Circus Circus and the Peppermill in Reno, and this place doesn't even come close. Not even an reasonably priced buffet to choose from! Ohhh...and it was a non smoking room but smelled like smoke. Honestly...I think you would be better off staying at motel six, at least it's clean.

Room Tip: Free airport shuttle.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparks
4.9 km away
0.4 km away
Victorian Inn
Victorian Inn
#6 of 17 in Sparks

Been to Nugget Casino Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK