Message from TripAdvisor:

“Loved the pool/beach area.”

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We were able to get a free room here and while the room is very tired, we can't complain
as it was free. I would not want to pay much for the room if we were to pay but the bed and
pillows were comfortable and the room and bathroom were clean.
We really enjoy all that there is to do here as we have two children ages 14 & 9. They
love the laser tag, movie theatre & pool/beach area.
We have stayed here a few times and are always pleased with the staff and of course, Starbucks. ;o)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Hello Heidi,
Thank you for choosing the Grand Sierra Resort and taking the time to share your experience. We’re glad you enjoyed your visit and that your family was able to enjoy some of our amentities. We certainly enjoy having Starbucks in-house as well! We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Rooms outdated and dirty below the 15 floor. Leaky plumbing, dirty carpets. Staff great if you are gambling. If not for get it! Kids play area way over rated! Very expensive place to stay.
Dog waste on floors watch your step.

Room Tip: any room above the 15th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Texas, Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your experience with us was disappointing, and we value your feedback so that we may improve. We hope that in the future, you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Such a disappointment! Booked around 8pm on Expedia for a Summit Grand Suite room. Checked in around 1am that night. Upon checking in we were informed that the only room they had was 2 king beds, but that this was the same room we booked but with two king beds instead of one... so I say "ok" and proceed to ask what the "summit" package was all about expecting to hear about amenities. However, I was told the Summit level was an upgrade and would have to pay extra. So I told her that we had already booked such a room and showed her my conformation... She seemed annoyed by this but said ok and asked to see my paperwork. After a few more minutes she tells us she has us on the summit level now, but still only had 2 kings beds. She assured us this was "an upgrade" and we should be happy. My wife and I find this a little odd, but what the hell its late and we are exhausted from driving... so we check into the room and first thing we notice is it is not very clean... fingerprints all over the mirror, microwave was dirty, bedsheets had holes in them, and the bathroom needed restocking... again, we were exhausted and just wanted to relax so we were trying to make the best of it and look past all this. after about 15 mins I start to notice the room a bit more and I feel like it is too small. We booked a "Grand Suite" which was supposed to be almost 600 sq ft with a sitting area. This room looked way too small. So I call the hotel operator (no front desk option on the phone) and they tell me they cant help me but they will try and transfer me to the hotel manager. After a few minutes on hold the manager comes on the line. I politely tell her that I think the room is smaller than the one we booked and she asks if I have my paperwork and if I can email it to her. I do, and she tells me she will look it over and get back to me. Now to her credit it only took about 10 mins for her to call back and she admitted that we were in the wrong room. She sent up a bellhop and we changed rooms... and guess what?! It had a single king bed! AND much cleaner!! At this point we cannot be more disappointed with our experience. What incentive did they have to downgrade our room? and then when we specifically ask about our room we still get downgraded and lied too! All in the end to finally get what we PAID for! On top of all this the general attitude of the front desk and manger was dreadful. like it was such a hassle that we said something.... I would not recommend anyone to stay here. The service was out of touch with the guests. The rooms were well used and worn but supposedly redone in 2012?? And overall it was just another stale old casino with little to offer.

However, big thanks to the valet and bellhop who were amazing and really helped us during our stay.

Room Tip: Summit level was better than the other rooms, but still not up to "luxury" standards. Expe...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon D
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Hi there. I am very sorry about your experience with our hotel and I sincerely, sincerely apologize for what occurred during your stay. I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail. If you have a moment, can you please e-mail me at social@grandsierraresort.com? Thank you very much.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

The rooms are dated and the bathrooms are very old. Have stayed here 4 or 5 times on business and it has been the same story. I'm told the upper floors have been remodeled.

Given the choice, I would find an alternative hotel.

Restaurants good. Staff decent. Close to airport + free shuttle.

Room Tip: Request upper floor, if available.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nogophers
Reviewed 27 August 2012

During our trip we stayed at 4 separate hotels to see which one we would recommend for a future conference.
The Grand Sierra Resort will definitely NOT be considered after my experience.
First of all, I booked based on the pictures advertised on their website and Orbitz website. I expected my room to look like the pictures posted on the above websites.
At check in, the desk clerk did not find my reservation. She eluded that 3rd party reservations sometimes get "lost". I was patient and remarked that as long as I get a non-smoking room with a king bed, I would be fine. She then said that the hotel is overbooked and there are no king beds available. Again, I acquiesced, and proceeded to our room. When the elevator door opened on the 15th floor, I was stunned. I felt like I was thrown back to the 1970s. To say that the decor was dated is an understatement. The hallways were dreary and the stenciling on the wall paper made me nauseous. When I arrived to room 1577, I could not believe the beat up furniture and mouldy tiles I was greeted with. I immediately called down to the front desk to give them the opportunity to make this right. I explained what I purchased and what my expectations were. The woman on the phone said that I have a "standard" room and pushed the blame on Orbitz. She did not accept responsibility on behalf of the hotel who is partnered with Orbitz. I was never offered an upgrade at check-in, maybe because they could not find my rservation, but if I had been told at check-in what to expect, then the Bait and Switch may have been less of a shock.
Since this hotel plays dirty, we decided not to patronize them during our 3 night stay and spent ALL our gambling, dining, drinking and spa money at the Atlantis and Peppermill hotels. Those were class act hotels that know how to treat a guest!
We checked out on Friday, August 24th. I was ready to tell the front desk clerk how my stay was, but she NEVER asked me how my stay was! I could not believe it. Again, we stayed at 4 hotels in search of a worthy candidate for our 1500+ conference.
We wanted to see how we would be treated as a typical guest. And this is the FIRST hotel that did not even care to ask about our experience with them. The clerk simply asked if I wanted a receipt and goodbye. This hotel is not interested in their clientele. They are making their money from offering their "resort" amenities to the general public. The pool called "The Beach", is monitored because it is open to the public for a fee. The entrance to the pool is off a side parking lot! There is no exclusivity here and they should not be charging $11 a night resort fee for amenities offered to the general public.
Go to Peppermill or Atlantis if you want a first class RESORT.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple