“Two Horrible Experiences in a Row -- 1 Year Apart”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Las Vegas
Ranked #39 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Provo, Utah
“Two Horrible Experiences in a Row -- 1 Year Apart”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I never write reviews, but had to share this experience for the unwary. I have been a member of Hilton Honors for a number of years and travel a lot for work and leisure. I have tried to be loyal to Hilton because they are typically customer friendly and a good value. In traveling through Vegas, I have found the Swenson Street Embassy Suites to be a really good value, and off the strip, which is great for young families like mine. In 2011, having been at the hotel on 8 different trips over a year and a half period, I had made a reservation for my family to stay again. We were stuck in LA traffic on the way to Vegas so we called at about 4:00 pm to inform the staff that we'd be arriving late. I asked if that would cause any problems and was told it wouldn't because we had prepaid (non-refundable) and our room was confirmed. When we arrived at 10:00 pm, the front desk clerk told me that they had given away the 2 bed suite and that we'd have to stay in the one-bed suite. She said she knew that meant that my wife and I and 4 small children would share one bed and 1 hide-a-bed, but there was nothing she could do because were late. Then she said, "There's another problem. We don't have any more pillows or blankets, either." I reminded her that we had called to confirm our late arrival and she was not impressed. Eventually, the staff rounded up one more pillow -- giving us 3 pillows for the six of us.

In February, I decided to give this hotel one more chance. Again -- it is a great value, the breakfast is wonderful, and the location is fantastic. We booked two nights separated by 4 days for the end of May 2012. The first night, I was delayed by traffic and called again. The desk clerk said "You don't need to call, sir. You have a prepaid, confirmed reservation. We look forward to seeing you later tonight." When we arrived, everything was great. On check out, the desk manager said, "We'll see you in four days!"

Four days later, we were delayed in LA traffic, again. We called at 4:00 pm. and told the front desk we were on our way and would not arrive until after 11:00 pm. The clerk said, don't worry, you're confirmed, see you tonight. At 11:15 pm I walked into the lobby. The lobby was empty except for the night time clerk and the security guard. I introduced myself. The clerk said, "Do you want the good news or the bad news?" Then said, "The good news is you are staying in Vegas tonight on us. The bad news is you're not staying here. We gave your room away." I asked why they gave away the room when we had called seven hour earlier. The security guard said, "You have to understand their position, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, like they say." The clerk didn't believe I'd called -- he asked who I spoke to. As I went to answer he said, it didn't matter anyway, the room was gone and he was sending us to the other Embassy Suites on the strip. He said, "I actually think it's a much nicer property, anyway." Then he called to see if they had a room available. He hadn't checked before, and if they'd been full, there was no apparent back-up plan. I'd have just been driving.

The fortunate reality is that the other Embassy Suites' Staff IS much nicer. They went above and beyond to apologize on behalf of the other property. In fact, when I called Hilton to ask why this happened 2 trips in a row, I was told that the Swenson Street property does this much more often than any other hotel in the chain. They told me that I'd receive a call from the property manager to apologize within 4 days. 3 days later, the customer service rep emailed to tell me that the manager reported he had called me and that he had apologized and told me how they'd make it right. The problem is that the property manager has never called and spoken to me at all.

If I stay at Hilton in Vegas again, it will be at the convention center Embassy Suites, not Swenson Street.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank JK74604
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Words cannot even begin to describe how awesome the staff is at this property! My pre-arrival expectations were completely blown out of the water once I checked in. Every single staff member I met went above and beyond to accommodate our needs and were happy to help out with whatever we needed! I have stayed in lots of other Hiltons and this is THE best service I have ever gotten at any property. The management is to be commended on the terrific selection of employees, careful training, and superb motivation! It doesn't matter that this hotel is a mile off the Vegas strip, I am staying here every time I come back. Thank you so much for a perfect vacation and I would especially like to thank Jason at the front desk for being such a great person to just talk and joke with as well as Phil and the others (I wish i remembered their names). Would I recommend this hotel to others? Hell yes!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tarbaugh0516
brew city
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My daughter and I arrived early and was still allowed to check into our room which was really nice after our flight. The room was comfortable and clean as was expected. The breakfast was better at this location in comparison to the other Embassy suites we've stayed. My biggest issue was the shuttle! It has a very limited schedule (that should be mentioned on their site!). When it's not running it's parked in the lot right at the entrance! huh??...Also, when I checked in I was told I could stay past check out up til 2:00 and pay half for the day or pay full price after 2pm...The morning of checkout I was rudely told by the front desk guy that whomever told me that was wrong and that if I stayed past noon I would have to pay full price. So we had to wait in the lobby until the shuttle ran again then unfortunately spent the next 7 HOURS at the airport!! Not saying it's all the Embassy's fault but the front desk guy could've been more reasonable.....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank s l
connorysh, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Las Vegas, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Embassy Suites Las Vegas. We are sorry that your entire experience was not a positive one. We have addressed the people who caused those challenges that resulted in your inconvenience.

We hope to see you back with us soon so you can experience the great service we are capable of delivering

Thank you.
Virginia
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I was in Las Vegas for a three day meeting at thi shotel. Had it not been Las Vegas, the trip woudl have been rather disappointing. The hotel is very near the airport - which is convenient, but also can be VERY noisy when the planes use some flight paths. The first morning of the meeting, in the meeting room, the plane takeoff noise was a bother. At night it was also a problem.
The morning breakfast was OK but served in a rather disultry fashion, almost like "Why are you bothering me?" Als, there was not too much else other than eggs, bacon and sausage. The evening "Manager's cocktails" was pathetic.
The rooms are fine, roomy and nicely equipped.
My real problem was the desk staff on Sunday - my arrival day. I had to wait a long time to check in because there was only on person on the desk, and he was taking new reservations, answering phone calls and trying to check in people. all at the same time. At one point he spent quite a long time giving a person driving directiosn to the hotel from somewhere outside the city. Secondly, my spouse tried to call me about 20 times concerning a matter (I was having trouble with my cell phone battery) - and nobody answered the phone, or put her on hold and then never returned - the same 1 person on the desk problem. (She did finally get through). I mentioned it to the person on the desk the next morning - she said simply that there were 2 people scheduled to be working on Sunday. Bottom line - this hotel is not up to the standard of the chain.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Tuttle
Livermore, California
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites several times over the past few years when I have business meetings at UNLV. It is literally across the street from the campus which means it only takes 5 minutes by car and I'm there. The front desk staff are always very nice no matter what time of night I arrive. There is a manager's reception, but honestly I usually get in too late to enjoy it so I can't comment on it. The free cook-to-order breakfast is amazing, and one of the reasons why I keep coming back. Great variety, and the eating area is never so crowded that I don't get a seat. I haven't used the pool, but there is a business center where you can print boarding passes. The lobby is lovely and has two beautiful swans. The rooms are all suites so you get two rooms for the price. One room has couches and a nice desk for working. I used to get free wifi as a preferred Hilton member, but now that I have lost my elevated status, I had to pay for it on this trip but it was only $4.99 for up to a week - very reasonable considering what I usually pay in most hotels! The other room has a king bed (I only come for business so I don't get a double room) and another TV. There is also a refridgerator, large sink and coffee maker in between the rooms. Bathroom is nice, has shampoo, conditioner and lotion, and the water pressure is good. Rooms are usually clean and stocked. Free bottles of water are included as well.

The only reason why I don't give this little gem 5 stars is for two nit-picky reasons. First, with the fridge and AC unit situated close to the room with the bed, it can be a bit loud in the room at night. Plus on this trip, I was placed next to the elevator which is also noisy. But I always carry ear plugs when I travel so not a big deal. (The rooms on the top floor are much quieter, but usually reserved for premier Hilton members. Ask if you can get one when you check in - it's worth it.) The other thing is that while the location is great for working at UNLV and is only 10 minutes from the airport, everything else is at least one long block away, including restaurants. As a woman who travels alone, i don't feel comfortable walking alone at night anywhere, so I always have to get in the rental and drive somewhere to get dinner. It would be 5 stars if there were some eating options right next door. There is a free shuttle to the LV strip that leaves once an hour, but I always seem to just miss it and end up driving everywhere.

I do see families staying here, and I imagine it's very convenient having an extra room for luggage and hanging out. There is no casino so it would also be a nice place for a family to get away from all of the noise of the strip. Most of the people usually are obvious business folk who are looking for something away from the strip. The hotel offers a government rate, which is nice, and if you want to stay somewhere without a casino, this is a wonderful choice and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the top floor room for a quiter stay. Ask to be away from the elevator...