“The Good and The Bad”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #120 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The Good
We upgraded to a "Fab" room just because we could get in right away. (We arrived at 12:30 and our reserved room wouldn't be ready until 3:00) The room was great, spacious and it didn't have the dreaded carpet we were afraid to walk on. The floors were a vinyl wood. The beds were awesome, very comfortable. The staff were great. very friendly and helpful. The food at the Tropical Breeze Cafe was good. The waitress we had the first day was very nice (can't remember her name). Despite all the walking the layout of the hotel was good. Very easy to get to the strip as the building is right on the strip. The Habitat area was very nice, quiet and relaxing.

The Bad
NO COFFEE MAKER! Rumor has it some of the roomsw have coffe makers and fridges. The fridge you can request, but it will cost you.
Everything is very expensive, water, $2.99 a bottle, coffee and tea $2.95 a cup. We had lunch at the Cafe and ordered a Wrap to split as the waitress told us it was a large sandwich. The waitress pointed out there is a $5.00 sharing charge. She then told us to order the fruit bowl and we would have "two" meals. It's a good thing we did instead of ordering two wraps as we couldn't finish the one we split. Smaller portions and cheaper prices would be better. As we were leaving the restaurant I noticed alot of food left on the tables that will be going in the garbage, what a shame. We tried to use the pop machine at the end of our hall and it didn't work. I phoned down to the desk to let them know and was told Pepsi was in charge of the machines not the hotel. We also tried to use one of the many internet kiosks to get our seats and print the bording passes. The machines charge by the minute and 50 cents a page. we put $10.00 on my credit card then wasted $5.00 of it waiting for the thing to print. It never did. Went to the front desk and was told the machines aren't theirs and they cannot even put a sign on it to say it was out of order. The hotel needs to take ownership of everything under its roof as it reflects badly. Don't know if we will stay again, will probably try another hotel.

Side note. The hotel does not have a "resort fee" but does charge for everything that is included in the "resort fee" other hotels charge.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is over-due, but we stayed in March of 2011 and were long time patrons. Checked into one room only to find the carpet very stained and other parts of the room in poor repair. The front desk put us into another room, and that carpet was worse than the other. As if that wasn't bad enough, the blow dryer's plastic housing was broken and a fire hazard, and the vent over the shower was falling out, and the shower wouldn't drain. Again, to the front desk we went. They were becoming more and more rude, but finally we got another room. Still not a great one, but better than the others. Like I said, we've been long time patrons of this hotel, so we had taken pictures of these rooms and upon returning home, wrote a letter to the president of the Flamingo Hotel and included the pictures. This was in March of 2011. We have yet to hear back. So much for customer satisfaction. Guess that got what they wanted,....our money. But they lost our business a long time ago. And we go out of our way to tell others,..DON'T STAY AT THE FLAMINGO!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob D
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Arrived being a player member walked right up to check in(other line quite long everytime we walked by) ,was comped in a Go Room upon arrival upgraded to Go room luxury(strip view) they did not charge extra. The hallway was filthy needed a good carpet cleaning and paint job. Room had a frig and a coffee maker the body jets in the shower were awesome. Thought the buffet was a little high with food offered. Unforetunately my husband who wanted to spend time at the pool was very disappointed. The only pool heated was the pool that allowed kids and he said there was way too many could not even enjoy himself and the pool was the reason we picked that Harrahs establishment. All in all it was nice since what I read in some reviews scared me.....

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

It's interesting to read some of the negative reviews on the Flamingo. I sometimes wonder what people are expecting for probably some of the best rates for a hotel room on the strip, no resort fees, and honestly, the best spot on the strip! Yes, there are some fabulous hotels out there....for a price.... if you want a decent place to spend the night for a great rate and really has everything you need then this is it!

I had just spent a week in the desert (photographing Death Valley, Joshua Tree, and the Mojave Ntl Preserve) ALONE..... Although I had a great time doing the photography trip solo.... I now needed to be with people! Since I was flying in/out of Vegas decided to spend my last 24 hours there. It's been a while since I had been to Vegas and what better place to come back to be in civilization.

Below are my observations:

Valet Parking - Awesome on arrival! professional, quick, got a bellperson to take all of my bags to my room in a timely manner. Was a little disappointed on departure though. I did not have a long wait for the car but instead of the valet helping me with my bags (I had four with camera gear, computer gear, clothes) he stated "you look like you have a system" and didn't help me. His tip was just cut down to $2.00 vice the $5.00 I was going to give him.

Check-In - Even in the Total Rewards Gold Member line it took about 25 minutes. I was very impressed since I did not have my card and a member of the staff asked all of us if we had our cards. If we said no, she went and printed one up for us. However, that being said, she also got my number mixed up with someone else's so I did not get any rewards points in my account. I just discovered this and am curious to see how they correct this since I gambled a lot!

I booked the cheapest room available. When I checked in, I did ask if there were any upgrades available. I was told I could get a FAB room at no extra charge or pay $30.00 for a GO Room. I decided on the GO Room since it was available and got great reviews. She also accommodated me with a view of the strip. I felt weird even trying the $20.00 sandwich trick so I just asked if she was allowed to take tips. She said yes. Overall, a smooth very pleasant check-in.

If you did not want to stand in line there were kiosks to the right of the check-in. I was surprised that they were not being used.

The Room - The room was awesome! I walked into my 18th floor room to a great view of the strip. It was clean, modern and actually a nice size. I loved the king sized bed and slept like a baby that night. It was quiet and I didn't smell smoke or hear anything from outside. The room had a coffee maker and small refrigerator which I appreciated since I still had "road-trip food" with me that I didn't have to throw away. The bathroom was large and well lit. I really enjoyed the television in the mirror the next morning when I was putting on my make-up. The shower pressure was strong and it even had multiple jets. That being said, the GO room did not have a bathtub but I wouldn't have used it anyway. There is a charge for the internet but there was nothing that couldn't wait till I got home and I never bothered using it. The elevators were quick and I never had a long wait. A few were a bit run-down and could use new paint and carpeting but it wasn't that bad.

The Grounds and Pool - Beautiful! I loved the habitat! I loved the history of the place and went to see Bugsy Siegel's memorial. Well, I did just spend four hours in the Mob Museum so I wanted to keep up with the theme. The habitat had birds, fish, turtles, and waterfalls. There was outdoor seating so you could eat, drink, smoke, people watch, whatever. Everything was clean and relaxing. If you walk further along the path you will pass the wedding chapel and end up at the pools.

One pool was open when I was there. I went early in the morning to take pictures so it wasn't very crowded. There were people checking to see if you had a room key. They put a band around my wrist and I was in. The pool was very, very nice. The cabana's looked welcoming. I'm not sure of the cost since I wasn't going to get one. I was also pleasantly surprised to see lifeguards. There was a bar, chairs, tables, towels, and whatever else you may need. I was there too early to notice if there were waiters/waitresses so I can't comment on that.

Shops and restaurants - There were lots of them! However, I'm not a shopper and did not go through any of them. I also did not eat at any of the restaurants.

The Casino - The casino was fine. I did not find it any more smoky then any other casino in Vegas. The bartenders were attentive, friendly, and kept my drinks coming while I was playing video poker till 2:30AM. I went to three different bars that had VP on the casino floor and they were all great. I also can't complain about the machines because although I did not win, I did break even. All the customers around me were friendly including the "lady of negotiable affections" that was trying to make conversation with the gentleman next to me. I never made it to the tables so unfortunately cannot comment on them.

Check-out - I had no issues and no problems with my bill. One thing that threw me off was their clock said it was an hour later then it really was. When I mentioned to the gal that I'm glad I already got a late check out due to the time, she never told me the clock was off. She had to have known....

Bottom Line - I will be back to Vegas soon. I did not have time to do everything I wanted to do except the Mob Museum and gamble. I will stay at the Flamingo again. Except for some minor issues it was a great stay! Most importantly, you cannot beat the price or location! The staff was great and the crowd was fun, laid back, and unpretentious. Everyone I came in contact with had a great time! There is nothing wrong with the Flamingo!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a GO room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank WorldWanderer99
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed at the Flamingo for a week towards the end of March 2012. I was a bit concerned by some of the reviews and was wishing I had booked somewhere else. However, on arrival I was pleased with our room, even though only a deluxe it was very spacious and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. We chose a quiet room, as I had read about some people being seriously disturbed during their stay, by parties at all times of the night. We were on the fourth floor and although the outlook wasn't brilliant, this didn't matter at all, because our room turned out to be a haven of peace and tranquility from the madness outside our four walls. The hotel was very busy in comparison to what I am used to, but then again, with over 3000 rooms why should this be surprising. Although our room was completely smoke free as requested, this could not be said for downstairs in the lobby and casino. The pumped out vanilla did nothing to cover this fact and made it quite unpleasant to breath in. However, as the week went on I guess I did get used to it. We wanted some pool time whilst we were here and so did alot of other guests as the pool area was very busy. We took to queueing at 9.00am each morning to secure our sun loungers. Drinks were fairly pricey, however, a glass of wine, which was served in quite a big plastic cup was probably equivalent to two small glasses, so I didn't feel so bad about paying $16.00 for a beer and a wine. We ate at the Tropical breeze a few times, it was always busy, which to me suggested that it was popular and the foood would be OK, it wasn't bad, but after a while we did get bored with it. Had tea and pastries at one of the breakfast bars each morning however, one of the servers was a bit soured faced. Some say the hotel is grubby and dated, but on the whole I was pleasantly surprised and for the money I was pretty satisfied with it. Our room was cleaned everyday, with fresh towels. The hotel as a whole was clean, I didn't notice dirty carpets or any garbage left handing around. Would I stay here again? - possibly, but probably would stay somewhere smaller, with a more relaxed pool scene, and it would have to be a non smoking establishment.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room it will be on a low floor, but to me this was worth it rather than having a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple