“Great Location, Not So Great Hotel”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #122 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
DeWitt, Iowa
“Great Location, Not So Great Hotel”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

This was my seventh trip to LV, but first stay at the Flamingo. I love the central location on the strip, but was not impressed with the hotel. I'm usually not picky about hotel rooms in LV since I am rarely in the room, but this room was pretty dingy. There were stains on the carpet and the furniture was very outdated. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been updated in 20 years and was cramped and musty. We stayed in a smoking room (even though we reserved a non-smoking room) and our room had a terrible stench to it. Even now that I am home, I am still smelling the stale smoke on my coat, purse, and suitcase.

On the plus side, the casino is super easy to navigate and the location of the hotel is awesome. All of the bars, casinos, and restaurants that I enjoy are just a short walk away which is a priority to me in LV. I stayed at New York, New York in December and while it was a far better hotel than Flamingo, I would chose Flamingo over it simply because of the excellent location. In July I stayed at Bally's which is next door to the Flamingo, and will most likely stay there for my next trip because the hotel is a bit nicer. I paid $250 for air and room at Flamingo and $280 at Bally's. I'll spend the extra $30 for Bally's. But don't get me wrong, for $250 for a long weekend, I am definitely pleased.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank JSchawl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7,912)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2012

our trip last year (first time in Vegas) was a disaster in a "deluxe" room at Flamingo, so we were comped 2 nights in a Go Room, asked for a Bellagio Fountain view, got it! Room was nice, big Clean Bathroom with a TV in the mirror, nice touch! Hallways still kind of dank and hotel still smells musty and like coconuts, but can't beat the location. They should redo the whole place, including the dingy smoky casino.. Maybe clean an ashtray or take a cloth to a machine once in a while. Staff was good this time around. Definately stay in a GO Room , avoid Deluxe at all costs! Good for 2 nights...then went to another hotel for 4 more...

Room Tip: ask for bellagio fountain view if you can get it! nice touch...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gfg22
Winnipeg
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We went to a wedding in Las Vegas and decided to stay where the wedding was being held which was the Flamingo Hotel. We found our room out-dated and dirty. Also, the staff was very rude and not helpful at all. They had made a mistake with the room that we had requested and had to wait until 3:00 p.m. the next day before we could get into the proper room but had to be out of the other room at 11:00 a.m.. The food in the restaurants is over priced but very good. I would have to say the nicest thing about this hotel is the casino. This hotel is also not very close to anything. If you want an excellent experience in Vegas dont stay at this hotel. We have been to vegas 4 times before and stayed at other hotels and had a great time. This is the first and last time we will stay at the Flamingo.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RoseDoug2005

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

arualre
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed in the Flamingo hotel on a recommendation from a friend . The hotel is in need of an update , which some of the rooms have been updated but it seems you have to pay extra for one of these. We checked in which took about 15 mins to get to the front of the queue , we paid a little extra for a room with a king bed . We were asked if we wanted 2 queens or a king obviously we wanted what we had paid for, we were advised there were no kings so we were getting an upgrade to a better room. To be honest when we got there it looked like all the other standard rooms just we didn't have our king bed.
Everything else in the hotel was fine although a little pricy . Breakfast buffet is $17.99 unless you have a total reward card ,which as far as we could see was free but the queues were 30/45 mins long to get one and you only got $2 off the buffet.
I can't really comment on the pool area as it was closed however from what we could see it look nice and was getting a good clean for reopening in the spring.

The one thing bad I would say about the hotel is the smell downstairs , it's horrible like they have over done masking the smoke smell with a really bad air freshners . You could actually smell it from the street when the doors open .
The views are great depending on which side you get, you either have a view of the bellagio so you can see the fountain shows or a view of the mirage and treasure island. Where you can see the volcano exploding as part of the TI show .
Over all I think this is a good hotel for the money you paid however next time I think I would pay extra to stay in the bellagio , caesuras palace or the cosmopolitan as they are just fantastic .

• Stayed February 2012
Nebraska
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel February 26-29 2012. First problem was that the room was very old and needed updated. The carpet in my room was filthy and disgusting. The second problem is that my TV quit working on Tuesday morning. I called guest services to have someone come and look at it aroun 3:30 that afternoon and no one ever showed up. Now I am sure you are saying why do you need a TV when you are in Vegas?? Well I was there for business and did spend some time in my room and a TV would have been nice. The third and biggest problem is that I work up on Wednesday morning at 3:30am to catch an early morning flight only to discover that there was no water in my room. Turns out a pipe broke somewhere and they had to turn all the water off. So I didn't get a shower, and spent the next 9 hours on a plane greasy and gross! One staff member did apologize about it, but the lady that checked me out acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. Some compensation would have been nice!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business