“Great place for families”

South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa
Ranked #43 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel in April with our 14 girl and 10 year old boy. They loved the huge, modern bowling alley, arcade, pool and the movie theatre showing 16 different current movies. All were clean and nice. The food at the restaurants there was good and the kids liked the ice cream shop! My husband and I loved having time to ourselves while the kids were occupied. The room was very nice and comfortable. Had a small refrigerator , but no microwave. Staff were friendly too. The only complaint we had was how smokey the casino and surrounding area was, and there are no non-smoking gaming areas! They really should do something about that as it effects the quality of the experience. Overall, would stay again with the family. The hotel is about 3 miles south of Mandalay Bay on the strip, but they have a shuttle to take you various times during the day. The also do airport pick up and drop off for free.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with the view of the strip.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rlpmomma
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa

Reviewed 7 May 2012

I was staying in Las Vegas for 7 days so we needed a hotel that was affordable for so many days. Since the hotel is a little bit away from the strip, it was very reasonably priced. The room quality was good, comfortable bed, nice bathroom, very clean and good sized rooms. I would have preferred to stay on the strip but all the reviews mentioned a shuttle service that was only $8 per person for the whole day and it takes you to the strip, with 3 different stops so I figured with the amount of money we saved this would be a fair way to get to the strip and back. However, the shuttle company they use was HORRIBLE. Some of the drivers were incredibly rude (like slammed the door in our friends face when he asked his name kind of rude) and some of them were ok, but South Point gives a paper with the shuttle info and where/when the shuttle picks you up on the strip and most of the drivers did not follow the pick up times and left places early - which left us stuck there for an hour - or the shuttle would be filled to capacity and people would literally be sitting on top of each other. The customer service for the shuttle was horrible and when we told the front desk about 3 different bad experiences we had throughout our 7 days of using the shuttle, all they said was they've had complaints about the shuttle service in the past. So I ask - why do they keep using such a horrible company??
Besides that, the hotel was worth the price. Movie theater was HUGE. Cheap bowling after midnight. Tequila bar had $2 happy hour on ALL tequila. My only problem with the hotel was the lack of cocktail waitresses throughout the casino. I gambled 5 of the days I was there and got IDed about 5 separate times but only ONCE did a cocktail waitress walk by offering drinks.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wini P
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I read 20 reviews of SP, so I was pretty sure I had a handle on what to expect. I would say that TA ran true to form in its opinion of SP. After we lost our rooms at M, I decided to give SP a try since we were playing golf in that area and the rates were pretty low. I know SP has a lot of amenities (movies/bowling, etc), so there are alternatives to gambling. Check in was quick and easy, but as described in many posts, the smoke hits you the minute you walk in the front door. It's fairly surprising given the height of the ceiling, so it must be the lack of good circulation.

The room was as expected...larger than strip rooms and nice furnishings and a flat screen. Bathroom was good size, although a normal 6', 165 pound guy like me barely fit in the tub...well..didn't really fit in the tub. I also hate shower curtains/plastic runners, so that was a negative. Bathroom was clean, even the grout, so pluses for that. I also read seveal complaints about the smell in the room. I too noticed it when returning, so it must be one of the cleaners housekeeping uses. It's not intolerable, but I can see how some people would complain.

I found the staff in the casino and around the hotel to be hit and miss, but mostly miss. I was expecting better customer service from the reviews, so that was off target. Several dealers never said a word or were grumpy which always diminishes the experience. There are tons of slots and lower limit tables, so that draws the locals and a different clientel than you would get at say...the M, or hotels of that class. I am not judging or complaining, but just pointing out that if you are okay with guests dragging coolers around the hotel in tank tops and shorts, and with packaged liquor sales in the gift shop, then you will like SP. It seemed like everyone was either drinking, on their way to buy drinks, smoking, or all of the above. Security was at the entrance to the elevators for the rooms, but they really didn't ask to see a key. On this past Saturday there was clearly a high school prom party in a suite on my floor...scores of kids going to one room.

On another high note, the restaurants were all very good and we tried them all over the 4 day period. No dress code of course, even in Silverado. I think Michael's has a dress code, but they are the only one. The coupon book on check in (although I am reluctant to admit I used it) provided free desserts for many of the restaurants (a savings of about $6 per). Buffet was okay, but in no way would it ever rate among the top buffets in Vegas. It was a fine and cheap option for breakfast before golf.

So, to summarize, if you are looking for an economy stay, with a self-contained venue, and good dining options, then SP will work for you. It is not a 5-star resort and does not pretend to be. There are a lot of locals, small limit players, conventioneers, and families. Alcohol sales must be staggering here. We won't be back, but for our own reasons; your experience may vary.

Room Tip: A number of guys in my group complained about their room location (noise/view). Be prepared.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank AZ-Traveler85253
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This was our second stay at the South Point in 2 years. Again, the rooms clean (my priority), HUGE, and the beds are comfortable. The complex really has everything we look for - nice rooms, a variety of restaurants, multi-plex movie theater, bowling alley, entertainment theatre, bingo hall, slots that actually pay out!, nice pool area, spa...really a great place to stay. And the price can't be beat!

Room Tip: On this trip, we paid the extra money for "upgraded bathroom amenities" and a room with a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank SnappyG
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed here after bidding on priceline and were sufficiently impressed. This place is way off the strip, on the far end of las vegas blvd. The casino wasn't crowded most of the time, but it did get really crowded on Friday night. They gave us coupons for the dance club and buffet when we checked in, and we took advantage of both. As long as you go in understanding that you are not staying at the Venetian and understanding they definitely cater to an older crowd, you will likely be impressed. Even though we are still pretty young, we actually appreciated the older target as the show was free and ended early (9pm I believe). The staff here is much friendlier than those at the ultra-expensive hot spots on the strip.

I was also impressed with their "car a day giveaway" in the month of may. Each $5 you gambled, got you an entry. We entered just because we figured the odds were actually not that bad considering there were likely no more than a few thousand people entered.
The room was clean and spacious and didn't have any hint of smoke. Internet is not free in the room ($12.99), but wireless is free in the lobby, so we took advantage of that (usually along with several others) and they had several sofas available in the lobby for web surfers.

They have several restaurants, including a pretty decent buffet. The lunch price for the buffet is $8.50 and the dinner price varies by the night depending on what is featured. (Typically $14-$18).

My only complaint is that the beds have a plastic cover underneath the covers which feels stiff and crackly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple