“Video Poker Wins!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Cleveland, Ohio
“Video Poker Wins!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

My boyfriend and I (ages 50 & 57) stayed for three nights. We stayed in a Salon Suite in the Fantasy Tower. The room(s) were very nice with one of the best bathrooms I've seen. The bed was very comfortable and the room had two large flat screen tv's. The living room is separate from the bedroom and there's floor to ceiling windows in the living room, two walls of the bedroom and the bathroom. The room was cleaned every day. The only issue I had with the room was they no longer have Aveda products. I understand the Casino is under new management and noticed some cost cutting items, i.e. cheap toiletries. I was extremely lucky in the casino. We play dollar video poker 90% of the time and I hit two royals with one being a progressive for six thousand ($$) plus. All of the staff we encountered were very nice (especially Kim, the bartender). The crowd gets much younger the closer you get to the weekend. I would suggest avoiding weekends if you don't like the much younger crowds and everything that goes with that group (and not exclusive to the Palms....drunk, sleeping at the bar, half dressed, hookers, etc.) We go to Vegas at least twice a year for a week and usually stay a few nights at the Palms..........mostly due to the video poker and the luck we seem to have every time we stay there. We also stay at the M for one night (great hotel) and 3 nights at the Cosmopolitan (fantastic rooms with balconies). IF we get the Salon Suite again (via comp offers in the mail), we may continue to go back to the Palms....mid week. The one other small thing that bothered me is that they did not comp the ridiculous resort fee of $15/day. It's not the money, it's the point that we play dollar video poker for hours a day and spend thousands. I know it sounds silly for someone who won $10,000+ to mention a $45 charge, but it's just something they should have comped, like they do at other hotels for our level of play. Note to Palms new management: With all the choices we have in Vegas for comped rooms, a $45 nickel and dime charge may make us think, maybe we'll stay longer at the Cosmo and just visit the Palms. Now, is that $45 decision worth losing our business for 3 days???

Room Tip: Fantasy Tower a must. The Palms Tower rooms are old with old style tv's.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank vpplayers
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Where do I start? The Palms always seemed like it billed itself like a hip, new, trendy hotel. In reality it is tired and smokey. The slots were so tight that we ended up taking a cab to the Orleans and had some real fun. The cab driver confirmed that the slots were tighter at the Palms and we have better luck at the Orleans. The casino itself was so smokey that I was having problems even wanting to stay in the casino. Look, we go to casinos all the time, all over the states, and we know that gamblers smoke but the Palms was one of the worst! And you might think it was maybe a weekend when they were busy, heck no, it was a Monday night that we stayed there. I would hate to stay there on the weekends, I can't imagine the smoke levels then. Now the room: For some reason we were given a Jr. suite, we thought was cool. It was bigger than a standard hotel room and it was on the corner so that was nice to have two windows looking to two different directions. We did like this however, the room looked like a room that was from the 1970's. The furniture wasn't old it just LOOKED dated and blah! Definitely NOT hip! Nothing special, what a shame. The bathroom was ok, the shower head was lousy, the towels looked like they'd seen better days and it was so DARK in there, what's the deal, we women need to see our faces to apply makeup, folks! Then we have the $20.00 resort fee, this is the biggest rip off of the hotel industry. You are forced to pay for amenities that we don't use! Why? OK, you say that this is what all hotels charge. Doesn't make it right or appreciated by guests when we don't use any of the things you charge for. Nuff said! Food: We had only room service as we couldn't eat downstairs because of the smoke. The food was good and the service was excellent, although beware of a 19% gratuity which I don't have a problem with because we always tip 20% anyway but really a $5.00 delivery charge in addition to higher food prices! You have been warned. All in all, our stay was ok for one night but we will never again stay at the Palms. Remember you have SO many beautiful hotels to choose from, you don't have to settle in Vegas!

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room if you dare to go there, maybe the "fantasy tower" has better rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SATraveler_11
Eden M, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear San Antonio Guest,

We are sorry to hear that your experience at the Palms Casino Resort did not live up to your expectations, and we apologize for the aforementioned inconveniences that seemingly colored the entirety of your stay. Your concerns are certainly valid, and we can assure you that we are actively addressing these issues. We will be installing a new ventilation system in our casino in the near future, and we are also excited to be embarking on a renovation campaign of our guest rooms. This renovation will commence mid-summer and will conclude in the early winter months. The enhancements will include modern color schemes & amenities, pillow-top mattresses, 46”LED flat screen televisions, cordless phones, and many other features that will add convenience and luxury to our guests’ overall experience.

Thank you again for your feedback, and hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the property when it has taken new form!

Best Regards,
Eden McCallister
Guest Relations Manager
cashiers, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Okay, so this hotel is just off the strip, but was well worth the short cab ride to the strip. This hotel was SO clean and fresh! My husband 'bid' us a room and ended up with a smoking room (on a smoking foor), which I normally do not prefer. HOWEVER, my point is this-I NEVER SMELLED SMOKE the entire time I was in this hotel. Not even in the casino.
The staff tried to help with anything you might need, but could have been a little more knowledgable about the Club Palms information. If you are a Club Palms member, you get a discount on the great buffets they serve at The Palms. If I had known that, we would not have gone down to the strip for dinner!
Beds were wonderful; bathrooms were beautiful and spacious. However, when we found out we had to pay for WIFI, I was very disappointed. We stayed at a lesser hotel, that I was not happy with, the night before and they provided free WIFI....
Another thing that I loved was parking my own car. I know for a lot of people that is silly (and the hotel does provide valet parking), but I want my car available quickly if I am late. BIG plus for me. I also felt very safe walking around outside, no matter the time, which was a very unexpected plus. The resort fee I did not mind, since you got that money back with drink coupons and such (hey, we were going to spend it regardless).
We had a great time at The Palms and will be returning this fall. Any little things I did not like could be overlooked due to the cleanliness of this hotel. Clean is a necessity.

Room Tip: If you want a view, Floor 27 was great (but remember this is a smoking floor).
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I’ve heard a lot of buzz about this hotel, so, I booked it when it went on sale at hotels.com $44 + $15 for hotel service. The customer service was very nice and accommodative. But the room is rather mediocre. No amenities at all. No microwave, refrigerator, iron, nothing.. Just a plain boxed spring bed and a shower. Oh…I almost forgot, yes, they do have a boxed tube cable TV.. Least to say, you get what you paid for.. The buffet is good for the price at $14 with membership card. They also have a food court just in case you want a snack. That’s all I can say about my experience at this hotel..

Room Tip: if you want to save $$ and don't care for bed and amenities this is good. this location is the m...
2 Thank Eddietheman11
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is our second time staying at The Palms, Palms Place this time. After our previous trip (a Groupon deal) The Palms offered us compt'd rooms which we gladly used (we gamble but not much really). At check in they were out of King sized beds in the comp rooms and graciously upgraded us to a suite in Palms Place. This was a very nice room, very spacious, comfortable and quiet. We dined at Alizé, fantastic seat, meal and staff. We gambled some, used the Spa, had multiple meals at Simon, enjoyed the Palm Place pool, and generally had a very nice, relaxing trip. All aspects of the staff, service and accommodations were excellent, especially considering the excellent deal we had on the cost of our room (we paid for only one night and that was highly discounted itself). It was a great experience.

1 Thank kalippisch