New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 267 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mumbles, United Kingdom
“Poor location away from the strip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed here on honeymoon last September after spending time in Orlando and on a Caribbean cruise with Royal Caribbean International.

The location isn't great-it's not in the middle of no-where but it's not on the strip. It's a good 10 minute walk from the front of the Bellagio to the hotel which is a bit of a pain especially after a night out and you've 'had a few'.

The staff, as you would expect, were very professional and helpful and my criticisms are of the hotel's location and not them.

The room itself was perfectly adequate although I would strongly suggest that you request a roomview of the fountains if they are available. Our view was far from inspiring.

I'm not a massive fan of paying 'resort fees' however and based on this and the fact the hotel is not on the strip means that I would probably not choose this hotel when staying in Vegas again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view of the Bellagio Fountains/overlooking the strip.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ACD80
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,226)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed here with my friends on our girl's trip and the hotel, rooms, and other facilities were AMAZING. I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone going to Vegas as it offers many benefits which I can't imagine are available anywhere else!

It's non-smoking and no casino, so when you get home you don't have tons of traffic everywhere like other hotels with these attractions to draw in outsiders. The hotel is gorgeous and really makes you appreciate its surroundings. It even smells good, and the staff is very easy on the eye, friendly and helpful (compared to that of other hotels)...

The only cons were that the pool was a bit small, but never overly crowded and always had chairs available. The rooms have kitchens which was awesome for quick meals before heading out, but there was no cutlery, and everyday they would remove whatever cutlery we did have delivered the day before. When we called housekeeping for anything it would take quite a while- which feels like forever when you are hitting the strip and always in a rush. They were however always helpful and responsive.

Finally I had a package delivered to the hotel during my stay but was never notified of it, but when I called back after, they had it forwarded to me so they effectively rectified the issue.

LOVED the Vdara and couldn't dream of staying anywhere else when I go back to VEGAS!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank s b
, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
s b, thanks for sharing your experience with Vdara. We're glad you and your girlfriends had a great time with us. Our intimate retreat and ideal location allow you to escape while enjoying all the Vegas action. We look forward to seeing you back at Vdara soon!

Patricia
Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Let me begin by saying that Vdara is a very nice hotel. The rooms are modern, clean, and comfortable, and the hotel staff was outstanding throughout my two night stay. If the Vdara were located in any other US city, then I would have given it a 5 star rating without hesitation.

But, you see, we're vacationing in Las Vegas, not Salt Lake City. The Vdara not only fails to provide a Las Vegas experience, but they go out of their way to provide "the anti-Vegas" experience. No casino. No smoking. No mini bar. No self-parking. Pool bar closes early. If you came to Sin City to, uh, not have any fun, then you're going to love the Vdara.

There were also the little things that bugged me:

-The training of the hotel receptionists. When you check it, it's like you're being questioned by the police. "What are your plans this evening?" If you give a polite, vague answer (which is Vegas code for 'none of your business, let me enjoy myself without being questioned while I'm in vegas'), they will ask you again, "Like what?" and "What do you like to do for entertainment?" I understand it's polite and standard to ask questions like this in 99% of US cities, but again, this is Vegas. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

-There's a scale in the bathroom. Seriously. What a way to make your hotel guests feel great about themselves the next morning. If I'm the owner, I fire the guy on the spot who came up with that brilliant idea. People are on vacation, they don't want to feel guilty about their weight until they return home!

-$150 fine for smoking in the rooms. Yeah, I know it's a smoke-free hotel, but the least you can do is look the other way if one of your guests gets drunk and lights one up.

-Valet parking only. Everyone in Vegas allows you to park your own car. Except these guys.

The little stuff may sound trivial, but for me, it demonstrates the hotel management's inability to understand Las Vegas, and most of the tourists who come to visit. I get it, sort of. Not everyone who goes to Las Vegas wants to gamble, have sex, or alter their mind with a drink or smoke. It's just that 98% of us will want to do at least one of those things while in Vegas.

Overall, I can say that the Vdara is a nice place to sleep, and a brave experiment in providing unique accommodation for the buzz-kills of the world. However, it will take 10, maybe 20 years for that target market to fill in, (especially when you have another huge, nice, no casino, smoke free hotel next door).

Until then, the Vdara would be wise to understand that not everyone who stays at their hotel wants to live the Vdara Way. Bend a little, and offer floors that allow smoking, have mini-bars, etc. Because, as noble as it is to offer a vice-free hotel in the middle of Las Vegas, the hotel is just too big to survive without bending a little to those who like to have fun!

Room Tip: Very unfriendly hotel if you like to smoke. $150 fine for smoking in the room, no vent in the bathr...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jake W
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I have to admit the Vdara was a pleasant surprise. My girlfriend and I went to celebrate her 50th birthday and for awhile she was bugging me at staying at the City Center. I let her make all the arrangements and when we arrived at Vdara I was quite impressed with the hotel. I also read reviews of Vdara on Trip Advisor so I was on the look out about what others were saying.

The hotel is very modern and much different in appearance from most of the hotels on the strip which was apparent from the moment we walked in.. The lobby is quite contemporary and although some have complained about check in it was a breeze for us.

Upon entering the room I was quite impressed with the layout. That being said our friends had a different room given we were on the 48th floor and they were on 20th. Theirs was more the "standard" were ours had a room divider separating the living area from the sleeping area and the divider had flat screens on both sides. Apparently the higher you go the better the layout (but also pricier). I guess we lucked out because they knew we were celebrating a birthday. The furniture and artwork really caught my eye.

The bathroom was large and the room also had a kitchenette. Although some wear and tear the room was very clean (that included inspecting the sheets). The only thing I didn't like about the room was there was no coffee maker in the kitchenette. Also there are no utensils. You can request them, but I would recommend you bring your own. Based on some other reviews it takes up to 45 minutes for someone to respond to your room. But, that is just me.

The Vdara Market and Cafe was convenient, but a little pricey (like everything is in Vegas). However, it too was clean, modern and a nice place to hang out over coffee or breakfast while you recover from your hangover or night out. We booked our trip from Tues to Thurs so the lines at the cafe were not very long. Wizzed through in 5 minutes or less.

Staff was courteous and polite with the exception of one incident at the Cafe. When they ran out of creamer my g/f asked one of the employees for more. They pulled out a bottle and left leaving my g/f to fill up the creamer for the guests, obviously not our job. We politely complained to the front desk and it appeared they were concerned and would notify the manager responsible. Whether they did anything we don't know.

As a birthday gift I booked my g/f a massage at the spa. Again very clean and modern. Staff was very polite and helpful as I did a walk in appointment. I am in law enforcement for my career and I felt like a high roller when I walked in and was treated so courteously. The next day my g/f couldn't stop talking about the massage and facilities they had available. She was able to take a shower after her massage in the spa saving her time so we could go hang out on the strip ( she takes forever to get ready so I appreciated the time this saved us).

So overall we was really enjoyed our stay and would stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get room higher in the hotel. The higher you go the better.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank delta232
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

This was my 2nd trip to Vegas and when we first checked in I did think it seemed a bit strange not having a casino. However this is such a plus point as you do not get lots of other tourists going in and out of your hotel. You can also easily walk to the Aria or the Bellagio for gambling.

Vdara is so contemporary and modern unlike a lot of the other well known hotels in Vegas which are becoming very dated.

Rooms were amazing!!! Panoramic windows, full kitchen, living area and all the mod cons!

We are planning to go back again soon and will be returning back to the Vdara!

Room Tip: Request highest floor possible! Amazing views but not for the faint hearted!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank clara77
, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
clara77, thank you for sharing your review about Vdara. We appreciate all of the positive feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel. We strive to provide our guests with a different outlook on Vegas while still providing access to all the action.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Patricia