1,704 results
All reviews cabana suites tower room vintage room fremont street container park old vegas fremont experience single deck blackjack no elevator two blocks loose slots downtown vegas mob museum prime rib main building stay downtown an older hotel
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We got a room in the tower. The room was clean (enough) and very roomy with a sitting room. However, I didn't like the bathroom - kinda old and the tub was sloping. The sink is outside of the bathroom and is also slanty with little counter space and it's too low.

The worst thing is ventilation in the hotel - you just can't stay away from the smoke, even in a non-smoking room. Air in the casino is quite bad, even in the restaurants.

They do have a section of coin-operated slot machines which I think are for the old-timers who preferred the substance and sounds of coins.

Tried both restaurants in the hotel and both were alright with decent prices.

Our friend got his room from Expedia at $42/night, 3-night stay special. His room is situated on top of the parking structure on the 5th floor (I think they convert it), kinda weird but has newer furnishings and decor than our room. It's suitable for those who look for good prices.

Finally, I must mentioned that El Cortez has 2 parking structures, one attached, one detached. They also have a separate building (El Cortez Cabana Suites) across the street.

Excellent location for those who want the Fremont Street Experience. Everthing was ok with our stay, but we usually look for more comfort and excitement so we probably won't return.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ariesgal
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Totally awesome host and the staff was totally excellent... Nice rooms and good slot play...New ventilation has nearly totally moved the old smokey casino problem... This is Old Vegas at its best!!!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank surfinsooner1967
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I booked this hotel online. the pics look good online, but not the same when i arrived, i can smelled the ciggarate all the time when i was sleeping, and i can hear the other door slam in my room. the room was very small. i will not go back again. i will rather pay more money to stay in a better hotel. not recomment.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank nkh3529
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I had read many reviews about the Tez and its renovated rooms, but I was not totally convinced - however, as I was travelling alone, the price was right and I only needed a place to crash after gambling the farm away and drinking myself to oblivion I figured that I would give the El Cortez a try.

My 2 queen beds tower room was totally renovated and a lot better than the rooms I've had recently at Imperial Palace, Boulder Station, Texas Station and Fiesta Rancho - not to mention dives like Plaza, Vegas Club and Terribles.

The only negative point was the old television set - but who goes to Las Vegas to watch television?

The food options are quite limited: an "upscale" steakhouse, a coffee shop and a sub shop, but at par with what you would encounter in any downtown casino.

The gambling is great - good VP, loose slots and THE BEST single deck blackjack in town (stil paying 3:2).

They have upgraded the rooms and the casino - now they need to upgrade their patronage, and I am afraid it will take a while until the people that used to favor the property when it was the third worst hotel-casino in town (after the Western and the Gold Spike) go looking for greener pastures.

If you are looking for good odds instead of volcanos, pirate battles and water shows and if a swiming pool is not high on your priorities list, I am sure you will love the El Cortez.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Marcio B
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I am a frequent visitor to Vegas and have always stayed on the Strip, this was my first time staying in the Freemont area. I thought I would try it for the nostalgia aspect. This is one of the true old Vegas hotels with lots of history. The hotel itself was clean, beds were good and AC worked. Security was in the parking lots to protect your cars. If you are in Vegas to gamble or sight see the El is a great place to stay. This is not one of the new hotels on the Strip so do not expect the same amenities. If that is the experience you are seeking then spend the additional funds and stay on the Strip. The staff at the El are friendly, helpful and quick to react to requests. The Freemont nightlife is well worth seeing and experiencing. For an inexpensive place to stay in Vegas I would highly recommend the El Cortez..

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple