“Nice casino, rude staff in Sports book”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #90 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Had three nights at the ElCo - it was at no charge because I was in town for a funeral.
Made some bets at the sports book and this guy named Chet or Chad behind the counter acting like he was doing me a favor. I said should I use el cortez club card and he said nah that I don't bet enough. And then he made me repeat my bets a couple of times and he kept looking away like he rather be elsewhere. I had a few beers so I didn't think much of it. Went back the next day and the guy there Steve, new guy, treated me much better. But whenever Chet was there I avoided the book and took my business elsewhere.

Room was fine. Freemont street was always interesting but kinda sketchy in some parts. I've done the strip and it is not worth the hassle. Will I recommend downtown Vegas compared to the Strip-Yes. Will I recommend El Cortez - nope.

Room Tip: Stay out of the Towers, the key in the elevator was a hassle.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank fuggataboutit

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I'm a long time patron of the El Cortez and stop in every trip to Vegas regardless if I am staying at the hotel or not. I love the people, the casino, and their steakhouse.

I decided to go first class on my latest stay and booked one of their "Designer Suites" in the tower. There are 5 of these suites - each with their own theme. My suite was the one entitled "The Long Sleep" which is meant to look like your final resting place in the desert after being taken out by the mob. The room comes with a king bed, 2 tv's, jacuzzi tub, fancy bathroom sink, room safe, and living area. Decorations and wallpaper-facade comprise the theme of the room.

I enjoyed the room but at $175/night it was way overpriced. The jacuzzi tub is tiny and unuseable by tall people like me (6'4" man). There is no wet bar in this suite although a small fridge is available. Everything is nicely appointed and comfortable but $120 would be a more fair price for this room....especially when you consider the hotel charges extra for wifi.

Otherwise the hotel is what it always is: Loose slots, low limit tables, friendly staff, and old Vegas charm. The property is a true gem of the city. The regular tower rooms are fantastic values.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
11  Thank pjstroh
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Have stayed here once before in November 2007 and returned in February 2012.

Friendly service at the reception desk. Seemed to be given the option of whether to stay in the older bit or the new Cabana suite and happily went for the latter as it's newer.

The building was new and modern (with a useful iPhone/iPod bedside recharger) although the light for the bathroom is inbuilt into the wall at a surprisingly low level so I couldn't find it at first!

The bedroom was fairly small and painted a slightly ugly green colour which was odd I felt given the newness of the building. White is cleaner and better, guys!

The bed was comfortable but, dear me, the noise from a nearby nightclub kept me awake on or off until about 4.30am (I was awake for the last song). Not just distant noise, but window tubthumping.

So if you're given a choice at reception - choose NOT to go for the Cabana suite!!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank seasonedtraveller84
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We decided to stay here for a quick family trip (only 2 nights) due to location and price (under $50 for 2 nights!). We love Downtown and the prices are so much better here for just about everything.
We originally booked the Cabana Suites because the rooms looked really cute. Once we parked and saw the somehwhat "sketchy" area, we asked for rooms in the Tower instead. This was no problem and we got 4 (out of the 5 we needed) of our rooms together on the 9th floor. All were large, clean and had a far off Strip view!
There was a cute little loveseat with a coffee table, a nice desk, a huge dresser and adorable iron-work lamps. I think the decor was maybe a "Cuban" theme.
Beds were simple, nice linens, lots of pillows and very comfy. Old TV. Coffee maker!
My only complaint would be the pretty small bathroom and closet off to the side. Shower was good with lots of pressure and hot water. Ok toiletries. Safe did not work.
Casino here is small but with lower gaming tables. Spent hours at the $1 roulette table!
Awesome amazing steakhouse here too, called the Flame. A must try!
Would stay here again but not in summer as they don't have a pool.
Close to everything on Fremont Street too!
A great stay at a charming, Old School Vegas hotel!

Room Tip: ask for a Strip view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank kkirwan
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Our first stay off strip. We spend so much time gambleing and partying on Freemont thatwe wanted to stay there.
Picked El Cortez because of price. Read all the reviews beforehand. Wanted to see for myself.
Valet parking nice friendly clean area. First impression when I walked into Casino nice decor clean maybe a little
Too much pumped in scent. Was not smokey. Check in was nice the guy was friendly it was after midnight. We did upgrade our room
To a strip view in tower. Elevator was quick and clean secure have to use room key which is differant but safe.
Short walk to rooms. Clean hallways and nice decor. Room clean great lighting options. Clean beds I checked for critters everything
Was clean. Nice decor reminded me of staying at a bed n breakfast. Love seat and coffee table over looking a nice view.
Grest place to was people and distant mountains.
Bathroom was small sink area nice separate from toilet and bath. Bath area was nice like my old house homey.
Shower head felt like rain very relaxing. Cool little window that opens inside tub area.
First room I have ever had that had 3 waste baskets love not haveing to walk to find one.
Room had no iron but did have a blow dryer.
Walk to Freemont was iffy just stay in a group or come back to El Cortez before 11pm. It is a 2 block walk
before next casino.