“Retro Vegas - rooms are pretty decent and much better than I expected”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #88 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 25 January 2012

eventhough my booking was missing when I checked in- the assistant manager soon made good the error. And even when we had to tolerate the first night without power from 1am- 6am ( cold night that was) . Reason being that they were switching power systions or something. I still think el Cortez is a gem of a find. My 5 night stay was very comfortable n pleasant. Food n staff at the cafe is excellent n I'll definitely come back again when Im back in town

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank SingaporeDuder

Reviewed 23 January 2012

the room we booked was "pavillion" - steer well clear as they look like run down motel rooms and very unsafe environment. we made our minds up when stepping out of the lift realising how run down they looked. we opened the door just in case they were nicer inside - but alas they were worse. We went straight down to reception and had to pay $10 per night extra for an upgraded room in the tower. Although they were better, the picutres on the website are nothing like the real thing and must have been taken decades ago.
The worst thing about this hotel is that you cannot get to the lift without going onto the casino floor and then being gassed by the stench of stale smoke. your clothes stink by the time you have left the casino from the lift.
I would never ever recommend this hotel dispite the pictures it is definitely not a nice place. There are better hotels for the same price.
The staff were all very unhelpful and unfriendly.

Room Tip: Definitely steer clesr of the pavilion rooms - sound nice but they are run down and nasty looking. J...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ellinghamfamily
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The home of "Bugsy" Siegel, Mafioso gangster was a delight. We played slot machines near the piano bar - what a treat! The skilled pianist kept the tunes rolling and I settled down into the old Las Vegas vibe with a smile. People were friendly, approachable, the staff was right there when we had questions. We will frequent this Las Vegas treasure often - and I doubled my $$ at the slot machines.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JRinLasVegas
Reviewed 11 January 2012

First, I will start by saying that I did not stay in this hotel but did spend lots of my time gambling in this casino.

Positives:
3 dollar blackjack tables
.25 roulette
mostly good drink service (of course tipping helps get good service)
the clientele are generally unpretentious people that want to have fun (unlike the strip)
couple nice blackjack dealers (David)

Negative points:
very, very, very smokey
most of their dealers barely speak English
sometimes in the later evening or shift change, it can take a long time to get a drink

Overall, it's a great "low roller" casino. Most of the time, good drink service as well. For $20, you can sit at the roulette table for a couple hours and drink free. A good spot for the budget oriented Vegas traveller that likes to gamble and have a few drinks.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ottawawomanlaura
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I used to be a fan of the El Cortez. They had clean, cheap rooms and that was about it (I don't gamble but they are one of the better spots in LV to do so as well).

I've stayed here at least a dozen seperate times for a total of about 30 nights or more. The most recent stay was early January, 2012. This place has been crossed off my list as places that I will stay again at.

I know what to expect on Fremont street: bums, noise, booze, smoke, hookers etc. El Cortez does not lack any of these and especially has a hold on the smoke part. This place is comically smokey. I could not imagine a smokier place in the world. It is just awful. I stayed in the towers recently and use the doors right to the side of the elevators to exit to the parking garage since you have to hold your breath to walk through the casino.

The rooms are obviously showing their age. They smell musty and smokey. The bed I had recently was hard as a rock and you could feel the springs with every move. Truly one of the cheapest beds I've ever slept on.

The first morning I had no hot water which was a nice surprise, so I had a quick, cold shower before I had to go to work.

Service is hit or miss. This trip I actually had good, somewhat kind service. I got room service one night which cost me $36 for some crappy food.

If you would have asked me 2-3 years ago I would've recommended this place, but no more. This place is very depressing. So many bums and lowlifes hanging out in the casino, chainsmoking, dropping their welfare checks into video poker. How sad.

All of my clothes smelled like smoke after staying here. Even getting to the point to where one of my coworkers said my office smells like cigars! This is just from briefly walking through the casino. My eyes are burning as I type this from the smoke. My sinuses and lungs are clogged up as well.

If you want to stay downtown stay at the Four Queens South Tower or the Golden Nugget. I wouldn't stay anywhere else unless it was under $20 and everything else was filled up. This place is not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business