“It is what it is”
Review of Cal-Neva Resort Spa & Casino - CLOSED

Cal-Neva Resort Spa & Casino
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here last February for a weekend skiing trip to Tahoe. Usually "you get what you pay for" is pretty accurate (Motel 6, Days Inn, etc). In this situation it is not true. This place is advertised as a resort but it is very far from it. The only benefit to this place is the location.

I have never seen a hotel so ran down it was amazing, Imagine a hotel that never received any renovations or upgrades for years. Mattress was terrible, the rooms smelled, wallpaper coming off the walls, stains in the carpet. I can go on and on.

The only reason I give this place a two is because the GM was nice and I felt bad for him.

Do not stay here, honestly this place should be shut down.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Somewhere Frank Sinatra is spinning in his grave. Today, the "Rat Pack" would be right at home at this place. We met a couple who were here 50 years ago. "Oh my God!" she said. "This place hasn't changed a bit! "Expect for a few hundred cans of paint and wood rot!" her husband replied. They were laughing and shaking their heads.

It might have been the place to "be and be seen" 50 years ago but today no self-respecting "lady of the evening", ganster or politician would be caught dead there.

Still, it was worth 20 minutes of our time (while driving around the lake) to walk in and around for a rest stop. The high point of the visit were the restrooms. They're gigantic!

Nowadays, Frankie would need more than a little "Witchcraft" and "Luck Be A Lady" to stay here. If it were up to me, I'd do it "My Way" and...TEAR IT DOWN and plant some trees!!

Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband & I spent 1 night at CalNeva, Crystal Bay on a Travelzoo special. It was a really good deal, too good to pass up and we're moving up to Lk Tahoe anyway, we just needed a place to sleep. The room was clean & comfortable but the furniture a bit antiquated, definitely from the 50's style. The hallway to the bedrooms has this weird mirror tiled ceiling and white walls, very old fashioned. It's a quiet hotel as the casino is not open, but we had fun sitting at the bar for happy hour playing the machines at the bar and the breakfast was very good,a bargain with the $20 voucher we received with the Travelzoo special. This hotel has definitely seen better days, the canvas awning outside is torn and worn out, can't the management at least take some pride in this dear, old hotel and give it a face lift, at least put a new canvas awning on the entrance?

I'm sure this hotel was a fun place to hang out in the 50's, but it needs the life brought back to it. Hopefully new management can take it over and do something wonderful with it. It's no wonder Travelzoo was running a special for them, they need to drum up more business. Overall, a good visit, great location and friendly staff. If we have the opportunity to stay here again for any reason, we probably will.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

A business acquaintance had recommended the Tunnel Tour at the CalNeva Hotel/Resort. What fun! Tour was $10 per person and worth more! Guide had wonderful stories about Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe and various gangsters. The hubby and I were laughing out loud. The conspiracy stories were intriguing and kept us totally engaged. I had so much fun, I would do it again!

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Took a road trip from South Lake Tahoe to Crystal Bay to visit Cal-Neva and have lunch. If you are a history buff you won't be disappointed. The food served in the bar was tasty and plentiful. We thoroughly enjoyed looking at the beautiful carvings, light fixtures, and the demarcations of the state boundary which runs through the hotel. The pictures of the Hollywood types were amazing. I felt like I was in a museum.

1  Thank Bajalolo