“Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer, Grand Island NE.”

Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer
Reviewed 27 June 2017

OUTSTANDING. EXCEPTIONAL. The Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer is even more than these two adjectives describe it. There is a nominal entrance fee. You begin at the main building where you can get oriented with maps and verbal information from volunteers and / or employees as to exactly what the Stuhr Museum consists of. Being handicapped myself, I had some trepidation as to whether or not I could do much walking because the site is enormous. To some degree RELAX. Yes indeed, there are sites within the grounds that can require walking IF you so choose. But for the most part, I was able to see what I felt that I needed and / or wanted to see from the vantage point of my vehicle. Clarification : You can (and I did) drive your vehicle all over the grounds on roads designed for this purpose.

Here is your Rhetorical Question : How much time do you want to allow for your visit!

1 - 2 hours would be a minimum visit in my opinion that could easily extend your visit all the way up to spending a full-day at the Stuhr Museum.

This was my second (2nd) visit to the Stuhr Museum and it helped immensely that I had visited previously.

1  Thank kanbaatar
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Who would of thought a small town like Grand Island would have a hidden gem such as this. The art gallery is superb. Classy exhibits. Friendly staff. The railroad town educational. Worth the stop.

I live in Lincoln and have driven by here several times but never stopped. Glad I did today.

1  Thank James P
Reviewed 1 June 2017

What a most glorious day, my wife and I had at the Stuhr Museum and Pioneer Village! The museum has many 1860-1960’s pieces with most in the 1880-1920 era. Some very nice displays from life on the prairie from windmills to clothing and medicine to early electrical devices. Spacious displays give plenty of room to explore without feeling crowded. All buildings are easily accessible for the disabled and elderly. There is a cowboy/Native American museum across the parking lot with many artifacts for both peoples. Both museums have a nice gift store. For me, the real joy was visiting all the old buildings on the prairie and “railroad town” that has been recreated. I felt like I was in a movie set. Many buildings had guides to explain blacksmithing, tin metallurgy, woodworking shop, country store, and multiple homes with period furniture and home decorations. There is also a huge building of vintage farm implements and some cars. Friendly docents walked us through most of this building. Very impressive collection. This is one of the best maintained villages I have ever visited which is many since I am an educator and stop at these all across the United States. Very complete and beautiful. I visited the day after Memorial Day hoping for a smaller crowd and nice weather, and I was not disappointed. Even in the “busy season” this place is 200 acres of open spaces. This would be a great family outing, but plan on spending at least a half a day as I was there over 6 hours. As a bonus, there are many Canada geese and varying ducks that inhabit the ponds and rose garden year round. You may walk all over the grounds, but there are many parking lots for convenience by the different areas. Easy access all over.

2  Thank Scott N
Reviewed 30 May 2017

A museum plus prairie town all in one. Many interesting items with historical information in the museums then you get to go to Railroad Town which is their prairie town of old. We visited with the blacksmith, the tinsmith and the hat maker. The ladies in the old houses had lots of information about the homes and the people who had originally owned the houses. The weather was great, the walk through the museums and town was great and we were happy we stopped.

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

Great Nebraska museum with excellent tour guides. Railroad town has great replicas of how it was on the prairies back in old days. Great attraction for kids if you are in Grand Island area.