“Great spot, great price”

Grouse Mountain Lodge
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Whitefish
Oakland, California, USA
“Great spot, great price”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I visited Grouse off-season (early April) for two nights while visiting Glacier National Park and the surrounding area. The lodge was pretty empty, and in fact the ballroom had been converted into a "workshop" for refinishing room furniture and the restaurant closed for remodeling. Given the time of year, I was not surprised -- in fact, I found it encouraging to see the amount of effort they were putting into readying the property for the upcoming peak season. We had also received a call in advance of arrival from the hotel to warn us about the restaurant closure (a nice touch!) and explaining that a complimentary shuttle would be available to take us into town. The lobby is beautiful, the pool and outdoor hot tubs were a nice touch, and the room was MORE than adequate. While far from ultra-modern, I wouldn't come to a mountain lodge expecting any more than what I found here. The room (and general property) was immaculate and in very good shape. Our room (in the north wing) featured cathedral ceilings with tons of light (yet with adjustable blinds on each so we could easily darken the room when necessary) and appeared to be freshly painted. The finishings are certainly dated to the early 70s, but in great condition. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful and the shuttle service was fast and convenient. The lodge is in a great location, close to Whitefish, The Big Mountain and Glacier. I would gladly stay here again if I had the opportunity to return to the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sww326
GrouseMountainLodge, Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Wow! Thanks for the great review. Thank you also for considering our renovations. We are very excited to show off what we have changed once the construction is complete! See you again on your next visit to the area. If I can suggest a visit a little later in the year to really see what Glacier Park has to offer, once the Going-to-the-Sun-Road has opened for the summer, you might want to consider a July or August visit. It will quite down a bit by September and the Road is usually still open.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Thai first
edmonton
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel while we were in whitefish for a ski trip. the entrance and common areas (bar, restaurant, etc) are very nice with fancy stonework and iron work. we stayed in a standard room with king sized bed. the room was large with a vaulted ceiling but other than that it was fairly dated. the bed was fairly comfortable with decent linens and pillows. there is free wifi and the outdoor spa overlooks the golfcourse/ cross country skiing course and is a nice place to unwind after a day of skiing. the drinks at the bar/lounge are good but the food is nothing special. there are much better places to eat in town and the prices are better. i would recommend this hotel as the price was right and the room was comfortable but all the pics on the hotel website were obviously taken on a good day in the best light.

Room Tip: the standard rooms with a king sized bed have nice vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank weinerdoggy
GrouseMountainLodge, Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
I wanted to let you know that we are in the process of completely renovating the entire lodge. Renovations will be complete on the South wing before the summer of 2012 and the North wing before the summer of 2013. Grouse Mountain Lodge was recently purchased by Glacier Park, Inc., and we are excited to show off our new facility as renovations are completed. In the future, you can expect the rooms to resemble the entrance and common areas that were so appealing. Thanks for the feedback!
Troy, Montana
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I had high expectations - my company had treated us all to an overnight after our holiday party and they had really talked it up as a huge event. I arrived a bit later than I wanted to and the front desk was very put out by my request to hold my bag so that I could check in after dinner. The meal itself was adequate - not horrid and nothing to brag about. They actually put signs up at the buffet to let us know that we were only allowed one of certain items. TACKY, TACKY, TACKY - I have never seen anything quite like it. We gathered in the bar area afterward where the service was about the same - lacking to say the least.
The room reminded me of a roadside motel that I stayed at in the 80's when I could not afford any better. Dirty, dated, worn out and in need of a serious remodel. I would not have paid more than $50 a night for that room - I am positive my company paid twice that much if not quite a bit more.
Overall, the main areas were nice, but that is where it ended. I was disappointed as I was looking forward to being treated to a nice night at a lodge. I would not go again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jeanie W
GrouseMountain, General Manager at Grouse Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Greetings from Grouse Mountain Lodge. It’s always a pleasure hearing from our guests…even when we get a comment back like yours. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with a quality experience. We are disappointed to have fallen short of that goal. Your comments have been reviewed with all of our departments. Collectively we review such areas of concern and develop plans to help improve upon your experience.
In Response to your comment of dated rooms I am pleased to announce that we are currently under renovations to update every room in the Lodge. I do hope that you will return to see the newly renovated rooms this summer. We look forward to your return. In the meantime, we wish you good fortune in your travels. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Stayed here on business February 2012. First off, I'm sure had I been here to ski it would have been different. Given that though the front entrance and hall are awesome; as was the bar/lounge area, both of which feature impressive fireplaces you can gather around. Conversely, my guest room (in the north hall) felt and looked very dated. From the layer of dust everywhere it was evident it had been a week or more since anyone was in the room. All-in-all it worked for my purposes, but if/when I return to Whitefish I'll probably look for other options.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the east side as you'll get a view of the golf course instead of the parking l...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank trainwreck08
Just to let you know, the Lobby, Lounge, and gift shop were the first elements of a complete renovation of Grouse Mountain Lodge. We will finish the South wing before the summer of 2012 and the North wing will be finished by the summer of 2013. Glacier Park, Inc. purchased the Lodge in 2011 and we are excited to be able unveil the rest of our new décor soon! Please do not let this stay taint any future visits to the Lodge. Feel free to contact us with any questions regarding the renovations, as well as visit our website/Facebook page to see images of the new rooms! Thank you for taking your time to leave us the feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to impress you in the future.
Iowa
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed here with family Sept. 2011. The entrance is striking and reminiscent of the Glacier Park Lodges. I expected the rooms to be modern (as in, not like those at the GP lodges). They are, kind of. Decor was a hodgepodge of styles - ornate gold frames, rustic lodge log-look, fussy stuffed chairs. We paid quite a premium for bigger, corner room - which was large but not very useable. Good thing we don't watch TV as it was mounted high on the wall across from a couple chairs about 8 ft away and against a wall. You'd have to crane your head straight up to see the screen.

We also were unhappy to be unable to get a table for dinner, even tho we were staying there. Wish the check-in process had included giving us a head's up about the need for reservations, we had several hours time before the meal. The second night we did make reservations and the food was fine.

If you consider staying here, I'd suggest asking to look at a couple different rooms first, and don't expect it to be anything like the GP lodges even tho it's officially one of them.

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple roooms before you check in, especially if you are paying for the premium rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank prairie_fan
FYI, In 2011, Glacier Park, Inc. Purchased the Grouse Mountain Lodge. It sounds like you must have used our call center to book your room. Although, we now own Grouse Mountain, it was not originally part of the Legacy of Historic Lodges in Glacier National Park, which was built by the Great Northern Railroad at the beginning of the last century. So that I can give the Vacation Specialists a heads up, were you under the impression that this was one of those Lodges?
In addition, we have begun a total Renovation on Grouse Mountain Lodge that will be completed on everything except the North Wing before summer of 2012, with the North Wing being completed before summer of 2013. It sounds like you noticed the work we did to the Lobby and Lounge areas. The transformation already makes it feel like a completely new facility! We are excited to show it off soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefish
2.8 km away
2.8 km away
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
Lodge at Whitefish Lake
#2 of 16 in Whitefish

Been to Grouse Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK