Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Wonderful Time for Beginner Fly Fishing Half Day

Reviewed 18 September 2018
Amy W
Austin, Texas

All reviews cutthroat trout brown trout whitefish yellowstone park small creek greater yellowstone catch trout float trip great teacher beautiful country guide service top notch walter flies fishing ben stream
Reviewed 24 September 2018

Cody took me and two friends into the park and showed us some absolutely beautiful parts of several different rivers to fish. We stayed busy all day hooking up with fish, and some inexperience led to fish coming off but Cody kept putting us on them all day. He was very informative about the park in general and fly fishing in particular, and was a workhorse. I think we cost the shop more in flies than the trip cost, but Cody kept throwing flies on our lines and getting us back in the water with efficiency. We all had a great time, pulled in some browns, cutthroats, and rainbows, and will definitely get a trip lined up with Cody when we head back next year. Great time!

Reviewed 18 September 2018

Had a great time fly fishing in Yellowstone! Initially got everything setup with Walter and then for the actual time in the park had Cody as our fly fishing guide. Obviously reception is spotty in Yellowstone but Cody understood that and both called and texted to figure out a meet-up spot in the park. I had never been fly fishing before and my dad was very rusty but Cody was very patient with us as we figured out / remembered how everything worked, and was very encouraging once we got out on the creek. He also had some granola bars and water available for us as well which was an added bonus. I got bit by a few flies so I would recommend wearing long pants and not shorts if you can.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

On August 30, 2018, I booked an all day float with Wally from Parks' Fly Shop in Gardiner, MT. The booking was very easy and all the information I needed was provided up front. The day of the trip we met Wally at the shop in Gardiner, took care of some details and proceeded to put in at Brogan's Landing. I'm not an expert fly-fisher by any means, but Wally was very patient with me and quite instructive. He seemed to know exactly where to find fish and what fly to use. By the time we pulled out at Carabell, it was a full day. 15 fish of mixed species: cutthroat trout, brown trout, rainbow trout and whitefish. No monsters (but that was my fault for setting the hook to quickly). Kudus to Wally for a great experience. I highly recommend him and Parks' Fly Shop to any one who wants to fish in the Greater Yellowstone Area.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

Had a great time fishing the Gardiner river in Yellowstone with my guide Rob. He was very patient and knowledgeable. The rest of the staff (Walter, Cody et al) were very courteous and helpful. I plan on using them on my next trip.
Highly recommended!

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Trevor and Rich gave our family a once in a lifetime experience. We booked an all day trip (2 adults, 3 teenagers) and our main objective was to learn proper technique and have some fun...we accomplished that! We tried out different areas/rivers, caught some nice fish and saw some beautiful country. We stopped by the shop the afternoon before so we could get fitted for gear and make sure we had what we needed. That certainly made the next morning go smoothly. They both have expert knowledge of the area and we enjoyed learning more about Yellowstone as well as fishing. Rich is the owner, it was a privilege to spend a day with him. And we immensely loved Trevor! It's clear he has a passion for the the sport, knows what he's doing and was super fun to be around. We look forward to our next trip. Only regret, I wish we'd have taken more pictures. Thanks for the great day Parks Fly Shop.

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Good selection of flies and fishing supplies with some knowledge of what to use. Opens too late if you need something in the morning before fishing and closes too early if you need something in the evening after fishing all day. Hard to catch them open if you fish all day and start early. Have gone here for last 6 years while fishing Yellowstone. Was disappointed to find out there best guide left this year but I was able to find him elsewhere. The two young guys in the shop are friendly and helpful but the shop has lost a lot without ole Wilson and now Ben. Would go somewhere else for flies if there was a choice but they still have good flies. Also the building is in desperate need of a remodel.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had the honor of drifting the Yellowstone River with Richard Parks at the helm. He provided us with the trip of a lifetime. Never had fished out of a drift boat and he gave us instructions along the way. My wife’s favorite saying now is cast forward Dave. Once while going down a stretch we were casting into an eddy and he said cast forward about four times and then he said, “You’re not even trying Dave”. Well I thought he had been talking to my wife but finally recognized he was forwarding his thoughts to me. I finally set in my seat and laughed out loud and tried to explain but my wife just laughed along with me and hasn’t let me forget it since. Mr Parks is a very interesting man and if you get the chance to visit with him, take it. We caught fish(cutthroat, rainbow, cutbow and whitefish) and the occasional bush along the way plus each other. If you get the opportunity to do this trip, go for it. Thanks for the memories.

1  Thank davidC1188
Reviewed 23 July 2018

My partner and I hired Rob Olson from Park's Fly Shop as a guide for 2 full days of fly fishing on 7/8/18 & 7/9/18. We are both avid fisherman on
spinning/conventional reels but very much a novice when it comes to fly fishing. Richard and Walt did a great job answering all of our questions when organizing our trip. Rob did an excellent job connecting, coordinating, and communicating all details the day prior to our scheduled trip. He even accommodated a vegan lunch request. Our first day was a walk and wade adventure through Yellowstone park. We started on a small creek fishing for wild brookies to get comfortable with the rod and fish. Within a few hours, Rob had as hammering monster cutthroats while surrounded by bison, elk, bald eagles, coyotes, mule deer, magpies, and prairie dogs. The next day was a float trip down the Yellowstone River in Gardiner. We hit the grand slam by catching cutthroat, brown, rainbow, and whitefish. Fishing was consistently awesome all day long. Once again, we shared the experience with a ton of wildlife including osprey, bald eagles, and river otters! Rob brings 18+ years of experience. He is knowledgeable, patient, enthusiastic, accommodating, and a great teacher. He gave us the confidence and knowledge to catch trout as we hiked in the backcountry of Yellowstone the following 5 days. I highly highly recommend you to hire Rob Olson from Park's Fly Shop. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because the store leaves a little to be desired. While the staff and guide service is top notch, the storefront is limited in inventory if you are looking to make a serious purchase.

Reviewed 18 May 2018

Took a guided trip at the end of last summer with Wally. My friend and I are beginners, and just wanted a pleasant day learning how to fly fish. We did not have big expectations. Wally was grumpy and short with us all day, and all we did was float bobbers next to the boat. We caught a couple of whitefish. I noticed that the other boats were fishing dry flies and catching trout. The other guides waved at each other and chatted, but we were completely ignored...and Wally would just row faster to get past them. Awful experience.

1  Thank Forest G
LongsforCutts, Manager at Parks' Fly Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2018

We woke up to this review and were very upset, to the extent that we began going back through our outfitter records trying to determine who this individual might be. We keep all booking documentation for three years after running a trip, partially to aid in responding to negative reviews. We were unable to find any records of a trip matching the description given. In fact, Walter ran ZERO float trips with a pair of beginner clients until the first of October last year. That is when we began to think this review was fake and malicious.

We then checked reviews on other sites, and found a different review under the same screen name on another site. This review made it clear this individual is writing false and malicious reviews about us.

To provide evidence of this, we have decided to quote the individual's other reviews of fly fishing businesses from the other site, with the expletives dashed-out.

Here is the review of our shop (really Walter):

"Known locally as “c---meat sandwich”, Wally is not a good guide. Does he know his stuff? Absolutely...he just isn’t a nice guy. Universally scorned amongst other local guides, likes to name flies after himself that are just a little bit different than the original. Too bad, because Mr. Parks is a really nice guy, he just let the wrong schmuck run his business."

And here is the other fly fishing business review. Note that this business, a new lodge with which we are not affiliated, has not yet opened for business:

"It’s a shame that big money is taking over fly fishing, worse that it’s happening in Montana...by a company based in Seattle, that owns many other businesses. Paradise Valley is losing it’s splendor, every new lodge and vacation home is taking away from the beauty they aim to exploit. Our local bar and grill is the new recruiting headquarters. Chico will take a big hit. The river can’t handle more guides, busy days already see 20 to 30 boats on a stretch. It makes my heart hurt."

We encourage viewers to this page to consider some of the statements the reviewer makes in these alternate reviews, especially in the context of being a beginner; we guided ZERO beginner fly anglers who were local to the region last year:

--He claims to have been a beginner when he fished with us, yet knew enough to recognize what other boats were doing tactics-wise, despite the fact that we always try to stay a couple hundred yards from other guide-boats.

--He claims to know Walter's supposed nickname and local reputation among other guides; as a rule, guides NEVER discuss their opinions of competing operations with their clients, so how does this individual know this?

--Despite claiming beginner status, the individual claims to know enough about flies to know how Walter's patterns (note: Walter is a fly designer for one of the major wholesale fly companies) to know how derivative they are.

--We included the review of the other business, a yet-to-open fly fishing lodge, because this too suggests far more local knowledge than could be expected a non-local beginner to possess. For example, the individual complains about big money taking over the region and fly fishing, knows the ownership of the lodge in question, claims to know where this business is recruiting, complains about its potential impacts on another local resort, claims to know how much pressure the Yellowstone River can handle, and gives a fairly accurate estimate of the number of guided trips each section of the river receives during busy days in the summer.

Does the above sound like a beginner client? It doesn't to us.

We encourage readers to check out all reviews. Yes, we--and Walter--do get some poor reviews. Some of these we (and Walter) deserved. We suggest you take this review in particular with more than one grain of salt.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a week of fishing Yellowstone Park and as usual spent most mornings starting at Park's. There are fancier fly shops with more merchandise but you will not find one with more knowledge and fly selection than Park's. The guides and shop personnel are terrific. If you are fishing Yellowstone Park or surrounding areas, this is the fly shop you shouldn't miss. By the way , Ben is awesome if he happens to be there when you stop.