“Like they didn't even hear my order....”
Review of Steak 'n Shake

Steak 'n Shake
Ranked #125 of 711 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Takeout
Description: Steak 'n Shake, a classic American brand, was founded in 1934 in Normal, Illinois by Gus Belt who pioneered the concept of premium burgers and milk shakes. For over 85 years, the company's name has been symbolic of its heritage. The word "steak" stood for steakburger. The term "shake" stood for hand-dipped milkshakes. Gus was determined to serve his customers the finest burgers and shakes in the business. Today, Steak 'n Shake remains the "better burger" leader, serving premium 100% beef steakburgers, hand-dipped milkshakes, and thin crispy fries. Steakburgers are made without preservatives or artificial ingredients, topped with fresh produce, and always hand-crafted to order. Other classics include the Frisco Melt, 7x7, Prime Steakburgers, and fan favorite M&M milkshakes.
Reviewed 10 March 2021

Staff was nice but they didn't include dressing for my salad and put cheese on the hot dog when I asked for it plain. The chili was cold (and not very good). Really disappointed and this was my first visit to a Steak 'n Shake.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (140)

Reviewed 9 March 2021

We had just left a laundry service, and I didn’t realize that I had thrown my “gator” in with the wash. I try not to wear one too often because I have asthma. I had a super-thick scarf (thicker than the gator) that I threw on so we could make it from the door to the table. The very smart-elicky waitress said I could not enter without a mask, at which point I looked over at my partner with his thin gator and said, “mine is thicker”. I was told to leave if I didn’t have a “real mask”, at which point I, again, glanced over at the gator wrapped about my companion’s neck. The food isn’t good enough to be treated with total disrespect. And I wouldn’t want to tip a rude waitress to boot.

Follow-up: We went 1/4 mile down the road to Culver’s, where our spirits were lifted! We weren’t embarrassed in front of other people, we were greeted with a smile, the service was amazing, and the food was so delicious! I am very thankful that there are still businesses who have a heart and are here to serve their customers—and, after serving for over 10 years, I love to see kind-hearted servers who are happy to serve.

1  Thank brandic849
Reviewed 7 March 2021 via mobile

They are pretty busy in the evening now but that’s no excuse. Both are orders were wrong and the beef patties have been downsized. If you ask for ‘everything’ on your burger—they add cheese and charge $1.80 more. Fries were stone cold. It’s a shame because it was always a solid place.

1  Thank picthis1
Reviewed 25 November 2020

This was our first visit to a Steak N Shake. Overall, pretty good. Service was a little slow, but that seemed to be due to lack of staff at the time we arrived. By the time we left, there were an additional 3-4 people working the tables. Tables were marked as available/sanitized, so seating was limited. Food was delivered as ordered and the server was very pleasant. We would stop in again, if in the area.

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 28 September 2020

This is a solid Steak 'N Shake. The drive thru is pretty fast. Recommend the garlic or butter burgers,

Date of visit: September 2020