“I love this place!”

Ranked #39 of 120 Hotels in Saint Louis
Nevada, MO
“I love this place!”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

It didn't hurt that the rooms were all named after some of my favorite British authors. Prints and paintings of English countrysides and other equally proper British subjects line the walls, mingling with massive wood-carved furniture and beautiful pottery and dishes. It also didn't hurt that the room was tastefully-decorated with nice sculptured carpeting and drapes and furnished with a comfortable bed and high-count linens, a wide leather wing-back chaise lounge for those who like to relax and read a work by one of those British authors, and a desk handy for those of us who have to work while on vacation.
The bathroom was small but efficiently arranged with a window to lighten the space. The tub was narrow; but with the bowed shower curtain rod, it didn't feel overly cramped. Subway tiles around the tub, the Versailles-patterned floor tile, and wallpaper in a smaller print -- all in beige tones -- helped expand the space, too.
The continental breakfast was above average and included fresh fruit, pastry, danish, cereals, turkey, cheese, and something hot -- one day it was a breakfast burrito; another it was a biscuit egg, cheese, and bacon sandwich. Excellent teas and coffee as well as other drinks were available all day. The pub downstairs is tiny but does a lot of business where the friendly crowd spills out into the adjacent lounge areas. Try the lamb sliders!
A large adjacent building is being refurbished and will then house a bigger pub and an event space. Guests can also sit outside on quality patio furniture around the pool, some under tented gazebos, or out front along the street.
The staff is very nice -- from the doorman to the front desk to the maid -- all professional yet friendly. My only complaint was that our door stuck, making it difficult to open and close.
I would rather spend less money, but this place is worth it! We'll be back.

Room Tip: We peeked into other rooms when we walked by as they were being cleaned. They are similar. We did n...
4 Thank Nevada_Kate
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A wonderfully (and tastefully) themed hotel paying tribute to great authors and works of literature. We stayed in The Canterbury Tales room, a standard deluxe double queen. Fantastic comfortable beds, wonderful toiletries and fabulous access to delish teas at any hour of the day. I traveled with my two teen sons who enjoyed the great breakfasts with nice array of fresh fruits, cheeses and one hot entree. I chose to eat the magnificent granola every single day! Tea, juice, coffee, milk and several yogurts were available too.

The rooms were very comfortable and pleasant. The walls are pretty thin; but we were annoyed by some dudes partying next door just one evening. I turned on the AC fan to run continuously and that totally drowned out their noise and I was able to sleep very well (and I'm a light sleeper!).

We walked just a few steps away to the gorgeous 90 year old cinema called the Hi-Pointe and you could easily walk to the Zoo. I adored all the wonderful treasures that Forest Park offered and my two sons grudgingly followed behind me wherever I took them.

Austin Texas
Reviewed 13 April 2012

All was great. What really made the stay besides the decor and the writerly room names and the comfy beds, were the staff. From the Bar and the bartender, to the front desk to the valet for parking, everyone was cheerful, helpful, courteous, and effective while appearing to absolutely enjoy themselves serving us and making us happy with our stay. I couldn't ask for more for me and my family. My last stay at this hotel was when I was twelve years old and now at 59.99999 years of age I am back. Thanks so much.

2 Thank John G
Pella, Iowa
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I was that person who had never been to the area, I was the person who came to Trip Advisor for guidance in finding a place to stay during our mid-week getaway to St. Louis!!!

Needless to say this place far exceeded any expectation I had. From the moment I called to make reservations and actually spoke to a real person who did indeed work at this location!! They were very helpful over the phone answered every question I had concerning traveling with our two small dogs. Along with numerous other questions.

So the good stuff! First impression was a little nervousness just because they are in the midst of remodeling a separate building from this one. Was unsure of what we would find inside. Again expectations exceeded. Greeted first off by the valet who was very helpful. Checked-in with ease. Seriously it was a breeze. Happy to have us and happy to have our dogs accompany us. Treats for the dogs upon arrival as well as many other surprises to welcome them. Pet bed, food bowls, coupon for food, bag of treats, and a friendly pet!

Our room was comfy and charming. Clean and modern. Can't really say enough. Curious about the themed suites as they appear amazing going to have to save that for our return visit I'm sure is to occur. Can't say enough.

Breakfast and the commons area are fabulous. This is not your typical spread for breakfast. Fresh fruit, oatmeal, hot ham and cheese crossaiant, that were to die for and many other options. All kept filled and fresh by a staff that was friendly and hard working. On our last morning the GM was the one out in the commons area greeting the guest and making sure the area was full. All with a smile on his face. Unlike many other GM's I have seen over the years who have no time for anything other that being behind a desk. Huge appluse to this gentleman and his rockstar staff. You all have a great thing going for you. Look forward to visiting again in the near future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
lbarrylhm, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Agsnitker,
Thank you so much for staying at the Cheshire. I am so happy to hear you not only enjoyed your stay but are excited for your next! We do have many other great things to come later in 2012 and into 2013 that will only make your stay with us even better! We have officially opened the pool for the season and hope you will be back to enjoy it! We look forward to your next visit!

Hotel Management
Medford
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This hotel is really wonderful! I stayed at the Cheshire twice before it was renovated and I was very pleased with the rooms and with the service. I have stayed twice since the renovation. This is a rare instance of a hotel retaining its charm while upgrading its facilities.Being at the Cheshire is a real treat -- and a high point of any visit to St. Louis. The front desk staff could not be more helpful. They remembered that my husband is a) allergic to down and b) is diabetic and needs to refrigerate his insulin. They set up our room ahead of time with foam pillows and made sure there was a refrigerator available. When we had a tussle with the new alarm clock -- Question: how many college professors does it take to program a hi-tech alarm? Answer: more than two. Neither of us could do it! -- a staff member immediately appeared and got the thing working for us. We are already looking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: I have never stayed in a bad room at the Cheshire. Every one has been great -- and I love the litera...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank travelingprofMedford
lbarrylhm, Manager at The Cheshire, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear travelingprofMedord,
Thank you so much for choosing the Cheshire for your recent visit to St. Louis. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay your stay over all. We look forward to your next visit!

Hotel Management