It didn't hurt that the rooms were all named after some of my favorite British authors. Prints and paintings of English countrysides and other equally proper British subjects line the walls, mingling with massive wood-carved furniture and beautiful pottery and dishes. It also didn't hurt that the room was tastefully-decorated with nice sculptured carpeting and drapes and furnished with a comfortable bed and high-count linens, a wide leather wing-back chaise lounge for those who like to relax and read a work by one of those British authors, and a desk handy for those of us who have to work while on vacation.
The bathroom was small but efficiently arranged with a window to lighten the space. The tub was narrow; but with the bowed shower curtain rod, it didn't feel overly cramped. Subway tiles around the tub, the Versailles-patterned floor tile, and wallpaper in a smaller print -- all in beige tones -- helped expand the space, too.
The continental breakfast was above average and included fresh fruit, pastry, danish, cereals, turkey, cheese, and something hot -- one day it was a breakfast burrito; another it was a biscuit egg, cheese, and bacon sandwich. Excellent teas and coffee as well as other drinks were available all day. The pub downstairs is tiny but does a lot of business where the friendly crowd spills out into the adjacent lounge areas. Try the lamb sliders!
A large adjacent building is being refurbished and will then house a bigger pub and an event space. Guests can also sit outside on quality patio furniture around the pool, some under tented gazebos, or out front along the street.
The staff is very nice -- from the doorman to the front desk to the maid -- all professional yet friendly. My only complaint was that our door stuck, making it difficult to open and close.
I would rather spend less money, but this place is worth it! We'll be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cheshire embodies the charm and authenticity of a traditional British inn with all the modern conveniences of today. Guest rooms range from our Deluxe class to our Royal class with turndown services and upgraded amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and Ctrip TA so you can book your The Cheshire reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cheshire Hotel Saint Louis
- Cheshire Hotel Saint Louis
- Cheshire Lodge St Louis
- Cheshire Inn St Louis
- Cheshire Saint Louis