Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I was about 1-1/2 hours away from Mansfield when I discovered Laura Ingalls Wilder’s home and museum were nearby. Being a big fan of Little House, I had to go check it out. I will say that unless you are a big fan of the Little House books or the television series, you would probably be bored. My mom and I both loved it and found it very interesting. We loved looking through the museum getting to see so many items belonging to the family and were especially excited to see Pa’s fiddle. The house that Laura and Almanzo built together is just as it was when Laura passed away in 1957. If you are a fan and are traveling near Mansfield, I would highly recommend visiting. We are so glad we did!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"on display"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Beautifully preserved and well run. The museum is wonderful, and it’s a pure joy to walk where Laura walked. The staff are gracious and knowledgeable and more than willing to share why they know. Plan on spending an hour and a half to two hours.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The movie was good, the museum was good. The house was ok. Too small for the group we were with. Many areas were not open for viewing. Was not that exciting. We spent more time and money at the museum and gift shop which I recommend. The docket at the rock house was great as was this house. Drive bys at both places would be sufficient unless you are a huge Laura fan, which I thought I was.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had just over an hour to visit the 2 homes and the museum. The home tours are quick with a guided tour of Laura's cabin and a self guided tour of the Rock house. The museum curator said to do the 2 homes first and then return to do the video and museum. She stayed open a few extra minutes so we could spend time in the gift shop. I wish we spent more time in the museum. I learned a lot about Laura's life and my young children really liked it even though they have never seen the show.