“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Four of us were there for this dinner.

The place is sparkling and elegant, bright white with white tile floors. And noisy. When we arrived only ten of the fifteen or sixteen tables were occupied but the decibel count was very high, even offensive.

Service was pretty good, just a little on the pushy side. Prices are high, but appropriate. It was the food that made me give it a lower rating. I had Linguine Puttanesca, a dish I have had dozens of times in Italian restaurants. It's quite spicy and usually very tasty. This time the portion was huge but somewhat dry and definitely NOT tasty. Extremely disappointing. I ate less than half.

This is an ambitious restaurant and there is nothing wrong with that. I have not decided whether I'll give it another shot, but I might. The problem with me is that there are now so many excellent and interesting new restaurants in St. Louis that my attention is constantly being redirected.

If you go there, just don't get the Puttanesca.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Excellent food!...Great service!...We showed up a few minutes early but we were seated right away with a smile...very friendly and nice! Good salads,..The halibut was one of the specials and it was the BEST! Veal Marcella was outstanding! Can’t wait to go back!

1  Thank Chuck H
Reviewed 30 August 2017

A very wonderful and close friend invited my wife and I to join her and her new husband for a wonderful dinner. When we entered this wonderful "Italian Cusine with a Mediteranean Flair" restaurant we were impressed by its beauty, brightness, and outstanding ambiance. Our table was beautifully set with impressive place settings and Chrystal. Our server was very pleasant and efficient while taking our wine orders, delivering the menus and explaining the specials which were varied and unique. We all ordered wonderful and unique dishes which, when delivered, were excellent choices. We weren't rushed and all enjoyed our delicious and wonderful dinners. Desserts were also excellent. This is definitely a restaurant to returned to when we make our next St. Louis visit.

1  Thank nleonegolf
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I have visited Pepe's twice now. Once with a group of co-workers, and then my husband and I returned last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The food is absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend the halibut, as well as finishing your meal with a Brandy Alexander. Our server Lucy was fantastic, and she was a great in describing flavors and helping us to decide what to order. Pepe is very friendly and tries to visit each table. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

Wonderful service and food for family of 4 with kids age 9 & 8. They had spaghetti and adults had halibut special and pasta with sherry cream sauce. Waitress with middle name Katherine was great to our kids and we had a great dinner. Dessert was chocolate mousse, cannoli, and panna cotta not too sweet. We will return! Such great food with no formal atmosphere that was perfect for our family for an upscale dinner.