“we loved it”
Review of Affare

Affare
Reserve with OpenTable
Affare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 1,462 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 45
Cuisines: German, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th Avenue
Transit: Max stop in front of restaurant
Description: Modern German cuisine and a great wine and cocktail list! Affäre supports local farmers and family-owned, biodynamic wineries. Wine Wednesday: Free wine tasting every week from 5-7! Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10-2:30: enjoy Endless Mimosas for $10! Courtyard seating and Private Dining available. Great lounge and bar, offering seasonal cocktails and spirits from craft distilleries. Great beer selection!
Reviewed 21 September 2017

attention to detail, no problem with dietary issues a really nice place and very upscale chef owned place

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Had an interesting meal of their brots. Michigan brown ale had interesting taste. Assorted appetizers, again interesting, a bit quirky.

Martin H, Owner at Affare, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about Affare.
We are looking forward to see you again. Try one of our rabbit specials coming soon!
Chef Martin

Reviewed 3 September 2017

I am torn between 3 and 4 out of five for our experience last night. We entered at 6:00 for happy hour. The four of us were headed to the bar, after telling the host. We sat at a half-round table, it was a little crowded but ok. The host came to us and said if we wanted to be at happy hour, we had to actually sit at the bar. That was frustrating as we were 8 feet from the bar. Then who I believe may have been the owner came and suggested we sit at the table just off the bar. I believe maybe the host was confused. Regardless, she sat us and we browsed drinks. The owner (I think, she had a German accent) did a fantastic job explaining the drinks. I ordered their special cocktail, I'm not usually in love with bourbon based drinks, but it was fantastic. The girls loved the wines and my friend had their giant beer.

Unfortunately, we waited and waited for someone to come back and take our food order. I finally flagged down another waitress we hadn't seen before and she took our order. We had a friend cheese, mac and cheese and fries. They were all fantastic. This is why I went with 4/5 on the rating.

We have enjoyed Afare before and hope to again. Hopefully we have a great experience then.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

Stopped in because of the name. I am usually skeptical about German restaurants (How can their Spätzle be as good as my mother's?) but was intrigued by the name, "Affäre. Modern German Cuisine" and took a chance. The food was an excellent offering of both traditional and updated German dishes -- delicious, fresh, wonderfully accompanied and presented. Great wine list. Modern ambiance blended with old fashioned friendliness.
And yes, the Spätzle was yummy.

Martin H, Owner at Affare, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

Danke Mr. Lawson I am glad to pass the Spätzle test! Thank you

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

My wife declared her lobster poutine to be "unbelievably good" after just a few bites. What's not to like about lobster chunks, cheese curds and a tasty gravy served on top of a bed of French fries? My jagerschnitzel, a thin pork breaded and fried pork cutlet with a mushroom sauce on top of spatzel was very good as well. Nice atmosphere and excellent service. It has seasonal menus and the summer menu has lots of lobster options.