Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
The Fontaine(Kansas City)
  • Pool
All reviewscountry club plazagas fireplacefree covered parkingstudio roomgreat restaurants and shopssmall kitchenslow elevatorfull kitchenliving areaclub areahappy hourlocation is greatstreet noisethree roomswithin easy walking distancenice breakfasta great place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Had to go there for business for one tenant at Country Club Plaza so being able to walk to my meetings was priceless. The room was very roomy and the internet complimentary so that made working from there easier. Finally the complimentary breakfast had more choices than usual, so that was a good surprise.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Great breakfast! Awesome location, close to bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This RI was very clean and updated. For a family of five, we had plenty of space with a roll away and the pull out couch open. The view of Kansas City was amazing and we were within easy walking distance of the Country Club Plaza. It was very quiet and peaceful. We seriously felt like we were the only guests in the building. Breakfast was great and even better than we come to expect at a RI.

Room Tip: The corner rooms offer a great view of KC
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Every reviewer has a different experience and writes about it. I won't repeat all the good stuff because this is a decent hotel with a lot of good qualities that others have described.

Here are the negatives from my 3 day stay:
1. The room was advertised as a Room type:  Studio, 1 Queen, Sofabed. Well, although the room is like a small apartment with a kitchen, the bed is not a queen, only a double size. Which was ok, but a little small.

2. Elevator is really slow and small.

3. Animals are allowed. Somewhere there must be animal- allowed rooms that are segregated. I met a lady walking her dog in the hall. I love animals but I can imagine some folks having a problem with allergies.

4. Most important is the NOISE.
This was on the 5th floor facing the street. The doors are such that there's no way to deliberately close them quietly. And most people just let them fly on their own with the spring loaded hinges. So each door closure down the hallway is a ker-BLAM!!! Very annoying.

The walls are not sound proofed at all between rooms. I woke up before 6 AM to my neighbor's alarm clock which rang for 10 minutes before resetting itself (and with me wearing earplugs!). They must have checked out early (ker-BLAM) and left the alarm on for my enjoyment.

The heaters/AC units cycle on and off with loud fans and blow air right on your face. And if you turn it off you hear your neighbor's (next door and above/below) fan kicking on/off and humming very loudly.

The high efficiency toilets push water through the pipes so fast you hear a loud WHOOSH with every flush of your upstairs neighbor's pot.

I heard every footstep of my upstairs neighbors as they moved around their room.

Conclusion:
Nice, modern hotel with very good features, but depending on your sensitivity, this can be a noisy aggravating experience.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank OKtrythis
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I've stayed in lots of fancier hotels, but never one that makes family travel so easy. We booked a 2-bedroom suite on the hotel's website. I'm not sure how many there are, but if you're traveling with a family, snag one. It'll provide you with a very nice kitchen (stainless steel appliances, even), a smallish but functional dining space and adjacent living room/tv space, and two entirely separate bedrooms, each with its own full bath. Add it up, and it's big. BIG. Other members of our party stayed in a standard 1-bedroom, and it wasn't nearly as nice, so it's definitely worth it to book the extra square footage.

We were able to check in several hours early and went to a decent supermarket nearby and stocked our kitchen (very handy for our kiddo with food allergies). We stayed with two kids, and the hotel provided a pack and play-type crib for the little one. It didn't leave a ton of space between the bed and wall, but it worked fine. The decor is attractive, the housekeeping staff does good work, and the linens are comfy.

The breakfast each morning was great, especially on weekdays. There were a couple of hot egg/meat/biscuit choices, a waffle iron, good oatmeal, yogurt selection, granola and cold cereals, pastries. The coffee--oddly--was the only weak link. Convenient and with friendly and helpful staff who kept it tidy and clean.

It wasn't all sunshine and roses--the wireless went down our first day and never came back. And there were inexcusably noisy guests near us who were raising the roof well past midnight. Neither of the situations was resolved, even after we asked the mgmt, so I knocked off a star for that.

I know RIs are mainly geared toward business travelers, but we felt welcomed by staff and other guests. Maybe it was just the road warriors missing their own kids, but everyone was friendly and helpful. We didn't encounter any of the parking challenges that other reviews have mentioned--always plenty of space in the main ramp.

If you have kids, walk down to the Plaza and visit ZOOM toy store, have a treat at Cupcake a la Mode, and browse the 3-story Barnes & Noble.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family